Site C

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Site C

Post by maryjane48 »

Rwede wrote:This is BC, not privately-owned CA. The Crown land that is under a license to occupy is off limits for a large radius.

Alienation of wildlife habitat is one of the key problems with wind turbines.

And the birds that can fly over the fences? Well, they become eagle puree. But who cares what devastation we do to wildlife, as long as the NDPers are happy.

Fish that end up in dam turbine becime what ?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Cactusflower wrote:"The science is settled"? That's rich, coming from people who still don't believe in climate change. And as far as I know, no one has reported seeing moose carcasses or any other dead wildlife floating around in a reservoir created by wind turbines.

You won't find grizzly bears in your native California, either, because land alienation and habitat fragmentation led to their extirpation.

Apparently, you want that here, too.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Rwede wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:"The science is settled"? That's rich, coming from people who still don't believe in climate change. And as far as I know, no one has reported seeing moose carcasses or any other dead wildlife floating around in a reservoir created by wind turbines.

You won't find grizzly bears in your native California, either, because land alienation and habitat fragmentation led to their extirpation.

Apparently, you want that here, too.

According to Wiki, the extinction of the California Grizzly had nothing to do with wind turbines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_grizzly_bear

Let's try to stay on topic, shall we?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:That's rich, coming from people who still don't believe in climate change. .

who doesn't believe in climate change? What are you talking about?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote:Fish that end up in dam turbine becime what ?

unlike raptors that get blended up by disgusting and useless wind turbines - not endangered. Got anymore propaganda wind deniers? The science is settled, wind turbines suck.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:According to Wiki, the extinction of the California Grizzly had nothing to do with wind turbines.

Neither the grizzly bears or wind turbines have anything to do with the subject of Site C either. how about you staying on topic?
:topic:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:According to Wiki, the extinction of the California Grizzly had nothing to do with wind turbines.

Neither the grizzly bears or wind turbines have anything to do with the subject of Site C either. how about you staying on topic?
:topic:

Go back a few pages. I didn't bring up wind turbines. It has always been the rabid Site C dam supporters who start ragging on alternative sources of renewable energy.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Well cactus what you expect from folks proven on wrong side of history ? Facts ? [icon_lol2.gif]

Site c will go on to be one worst choices a bc govt ever made . 6.5 increase already coming. Before the added cost so i expect that increase to be inceased. :smt045
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:
Go back a few pages. I didn't bring up wind turbines. It has always been the rabid Site C dam supporters who start ragging on alternative sources of renewable energy.

Yes, ragging on them by supplying inconvenient truths, using settled science, to show that wind turbines are pure garbage and harmful to wild life. Shame on us.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

Stop trying to make this about the wildlife. If you're so worried about the possibility of fencing around wind turbines (and that IS government land down in CA, BTW), you should be down on the US/Mexican border tearing down all that impenetrable fencing that Dubya commissioned. How do you expect the wildlife to migrate across that?

I'm not to sure who you mean by Dubya but I assume Trump. I believe the walls here have been here since we started coming down in 2004 nothing to do with Trump.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

Stop trying to make this about the wildlife. If you're so worried about the possibility of fencing around wind turbines (and that IS government land down in CA, BTW), you should be down on the US/Mexican border tearing down all that impenetrable fencing that Dubya commissioned. How do you expect the wildlife to migrate across that?

I'm not to sure who you mean by Dubya but I assume Trump. I believe the walls here have been here since we started coming down in 2004 nothing to do with Trump.

No, "Dubya" is George W. Bush, not Trump. Sorry, I thought everyone on this thread was old enough to know which President started building 'the wall'.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/JRC93792/d1_regulatory_framework_wind_energy_in_ms_march_2015%20(2).pdf Wind Milll Regulations Europe
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/land-use/crown-land/crown-land-uses/clean-energy/wind-power Wind Use in BC
http://www.eao.gov.bc.ca/ Environmental Assessment BC

There seem to be some people on this forum that believe that Wind Farms can just appear willy-nilly on Crown Land anywhere in BC. They seem to believe that no expenses are involved. Theyt also seem to believe that no one Indigenous or other BC citizen would possibly be opposed to a wind farm near them. They also seem to believe that the establishment of a wind farm on Crown Land will have no environmental impact nor will it affect any of the indigenous flora and fauna in the area of the farm. Nothing can be farther from the truth!

The above references area a place to start for the education of those individuals. I am also aware that few of them will bother to do the basic research on the topic because the rules and regulations that govern the establishment of wind or solar farm projects on Crown Land are rigorous and often hard to understand. The establishment of a "Permit to Proceed" is only the first step. A purchaser of your energy must be found.

The "we can put solar and wind projects anywhere" proponent might want to read pages 10 through 15 of the following guideline.

https://www.bchydro.com/content/dam/BCHydro/customer-portal/documents/corporate/independent-power-producers-calls-for-power/standing-offer/standing-offer-program-engagement-guide-april-2014.pdf

Even BC Hydro and Fortis BC must follow BC and Federal government regulations in the development of any conventional or alternative electrical generation project. Those that seem to believe that $30/Kwh solar or wind generation are now the norm, should examine the fine print and not just the headlines. They should understand that those are generation costs only. They do not include the cost of land acquisition, permits, transmission, or grind integration. The government of Alberta provided the land, covered the costs of permitting and grid connection. Who do you think pays for those costs?

I would have a far greater respect for the "willy-nilly" proponents of solar and wind alternative energy projects if that actually offered proposed locations for the projects and maybe even offered some indication of support from local Indigenous groups and other citizens. It would also respectful if they acknowledged that any electrical generation facility built on Crown Land in BC will have an impact on the environment. All these projects are required to be fenced for security reasons unless they have located a substantial distance from a shoreline and surrounded by water. All of this information is available to anyone who is capable of doing even the most rudimentary GOOGLE/BING search.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Google flooded land .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

No, "Dubya" is George W. Bush, not Trump. Sorry, I thought everyone on this thread was old enough to know which President started building 'the wall'.

I apologize. I admit I never did pay any attention to who built it and actually thought it was east of here in the sand dune area in 2004. I guess I did not pay much attention in those days as we were still very busy in the desert etc.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

I apologize. I admit I never did pay any attention to who built it and actually thought it was east of here in the sand dune area in 2004. I guess I did not pay much attention in those days as we were still very busy in the desert etc.

No need to apologize. I wasn't paying much attention to it either until I read an article in the Desert Sun about how the migration routes of bighorn sheep and other wildlife were being impeded by Bush's wall. IMHO, everything that adversely affects our wildlife is man-made, whether its hydroelectric dams, wind turbines, freeways, clear-cut logging, or any number of habitat destructive practices.

Return to “B.C.”