Site C

Re: Site C

Postby LordEd » Dec 21st, 2017, 5:04 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/214625 ... for-Site-C
A partnership led by Aecon Group Inc. has been chosen as the preferred proponent by BC Hydro for a Site C generating station and spillways civil works contract.

Quick check on elections BC shows contributions to liberals. Clearly corruption.

Except... BC hydro is NDP controlled now. How can this be so? Donations means bribery according to some in here.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1989 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 21st, 2017, 6:21 pm

BC Hydro is regulated by the BCUC.

Governance & mandate
We report through the Ministry of Energy and Mines
As a Provincial Crown corporation, the owner and sole shareholder of BC Hydro is the Province of British Columbia.
We report through the Ministry of Energy and Mines. Four key pieces of legislation – including the BC Energy Act – combine to provide:

A mandate to generate, manufacture, conserve, supply, acquire, and dispose of power and related products
Regulatory power to the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC), to ensure our customers receive safe, reliable and non-discriminatory energy services at fair rates
A reasonable opportunity to the shareholder (Province of B.C.) to earn a fair return on its invested capital.
The Act also ensures public ownership of our heritage resources, which include BC Hydro's transmission and distribution systems, and all of our existing generation and storage assets.

https://www.bchydro.com/about.html

The BC government does not control Hydro, it is just a shareholder.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2009 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 21st, 2017, 8:36 pm

^^The ONLY shareholder. What other corporation allows a shareholder to drain all its profits in the form of 'dividends'?
(Oops, I said I wouldn't take part in this thread anymore..........sorry!)
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby LordEd » Dec 22nd, 2017, 9:08 am

LordEd
Lord of the Board

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:55 am

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Postby Smurf » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:30 am

LordEd wrote:

Articles with canadian dividend stocks:
http://www.moneysense.ca/save/investing ... all-stars/
https://www.fool.ca/category/investing/dividend-stocks/

Does this have something to do with site C?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

2 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 5080 posts

Postby Smurf » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:41 am

maryjane48 wrote:
Next company decides to go union [icon_lol2.gif]

https://www.straight.com/news/1010586/b ... m-contract

You do realize it is an NDP govt. now not Liberal. Those companies probably use the unions all the time and are continuing in their joint venture.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Urbane likes this post.
Smurf
Guru

Postby Urban Cowboy » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:31 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^The ONLY shareholder. What other corporation allows a shareholder to drain all its profits in the form of 'dividends'?

We'd have much better odds finding a chicken with lips. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5154 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 22nd, 2017, 5:51 pm

Old Techie wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^The ONLY shareholder. What other corporation allows a shareholder to drain all its profits in the form of 'dividends'?

We'd have much better odds finding a chicken with lips. [icon_lol2.gif]

You'd be better off going to the Grab Bag to find what you're getting for Christmas.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby LordEd » Dec 22nd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Smurf wrote:Does this have something to do with site C?

Companies that give profits to shareholders.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Postby Queen K » Dec 22nd, 2017, 6:54 pm

Speaking of gifts or earnings or whathave you, Grab Bag Not So Secret Santa has gifts for LordEd too. :130:
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11913 posts

Postby LordEd » Dec 22nd, 2017, 9:20 pm

I visited and got immediately annoyed there so I'll stay away. Trying to escape the naughty list.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Postby Smurf » Dec 23rd, 2017, 4:03 pm

Cactusflower you keep asking so I will tell you about today. We were visiting at a RV park just inside California on the I-8 today and ended up talking to a couple of the office managers. They have a fair bit of solar and are getting ready to install a bunch more. I asked if they really thought it was worthwhile. They said definitely due to the fact they are in one of the sunniest places in the world and the California government pays them huge subsidies to install it and high guaranteed premium rates for the power they produce. They said knowing what they know they probably would not install it without all the government money. In other words the California taxpayers are paying for them to install the solar units, sell the power to the system and make a profit. Sounds like a good deal for the RV park and a terrible deal for the California tax payers. I am certainly glad BC did not fall into that trap.

4 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 23rd, 2017, 4:32 pm

Smurf wrote: I am certainly glad BC did not fall into that trap.

not yet, but Smurf, never underestimate how dumb the NDP are, and how crazy the Green Party is. When it comes to taxpayer cash, it's "their" money, not ours, to spend as stupidly as possible.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists
- Dr. Don Boys

Smurf likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 14750 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 23rd, 2017, 4:44 pm

Smurf wrote:Cactusflower you keep asking so I will tell you about today. We were visiting at a RV park just inside California on the I-8 today and ended up talking to a couple of the office managers. They have a fair bit of solar and are getting ready to install a bunch more. I asked if they really thought it was worthwhile. They said definitely due to the fact they are in one of the sunniest places in the world and the California government pays them huge subsidies to install it and high guaranteed premium rates for the power they produce. They said knowing what they know they probably would not install it without all the government money. In other words the California taxpayers are paying for them to install the solar units, sell the power to the system and make a profit. Sounds like a good deal for the RV park and a terrible deal for the California tax payers. I am certainly glad BC did not fall into that trap.

Yet you're okay with the BC taxpayers going into debt to the tune of $10.7 billion (or likely much more) for a big white elephant?

Yes, it is. We may not live long enough to see just how bad that decision was, but our children will.
Cactusflower
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.