17%
Other - please explain
5%

Total votes: 59

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

BC MSP Premiums

Post by Lady tehMa »

https://www.change.org/p/christy-clark-justin-trudeau-abolish-msp-premiums-in-bc?recruiter=349548888&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

Here is a petition to abolish MSP Premiums in BC. I hadn't realized BC was the only province to charge MSP Premiums.

I have had enough experience with it to think that yes, it should be abolished. I am aware that Doctors and Nurses do not do their jobs for free, so will need to be paid for. As I understand it, the MSP premiums for other provinces are incorporated into income tax. I would be in favour of this.

I have had the experience - and have friends who have had the experience - of being out of work and not being able to pay them. In theory MSP charges a minimal amount, for a short period of time. In reality, they take forever to incorporate that, and argue over you getting it at all, arguments that take months (and even years) to resolve, all the while racking up a debt that can't be paid and leaves a black mark on your credit history.

I feel that if it were tied to income tax, then there wouldn't be the hassle. Perhaps the very well off could pay just a little bit more to offset those who simply can't.

What are you thoughts/opinions on the matter?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC MSP Premiums

Post by Piecemaker »

We will pay one way or another. How would that work for those who have MSP paid through work deductions and the employer pays part? Those employees lose a benefit and gain a greater expense?
It would certainly make it easier for those who struggle financially. I think I'd rather it come through taxation than paying premiums.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Piecemaker wrote:We will pay one way or another. How would that work for those who have MSP paid through work deductions and the employer pays part? Those employees lose a benefit and gain a greater expense?
It would certainly make it easier for those who struggle financially. I think I'd rather it come through taxation than paying premiums.

That is a good question. If the burden is lifted off of the employer, perhaps it could be replaced with a raise. They will not be spending less, and the employee probably wouldn't complain.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

There was a homeless guy in Vancouver that won a 25,000 lotto draw 6 months ago but couldn't cash it in because he doesn't have photo ID. He can't get photo ID because he doesn't have a residence.

When asked how he ended up homeless, he told the reporter that MSP was garnishing his wages from his minimum wage job.

The MSP exists so the right wing BC liberals can boast about low tax rates for high income earners. MSP goes directly into general revenue.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Atomoa wrote:There was a homeless guy in Vancouver that won a 25,000 lotto draw 6 months ago but couldn't cash it in because he doesn't have photo ID. He can't get photo ID because he doesn't have a residence.

When asked how he ended up homeless, he told the reporter that MSP was garnishing his wages from his minimum wage job.

The MSP exists so the right wing BC liberals can boast about low tax rates for high income earners. MSP goes directly into general revenue.

That is an interesting story, Atomoa, and one of which I was unaware. It does underscore the need for the abolishment of MSP.

As for your last statement . . . I am no fan of the liberals. However, we have had many different governments over the years since MSP premiums were instituted, and none of them have done anything about it (that I am aware of). The question isn't "Who is to blame?" but "Should we change this, and how can we manage to get it done if so?"

I have signed the petition, will you do the same?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Lady tehMa wrote:However, we have had many different governments over the years since MSP premiums were instituted, and none of them have done anything about it (that I am aware of)

BC Greens and NDP both ran under a platform of MSP elimination. Raising tax rates on BC richest people and a slight increase to corporate tax rate (one of the lowest in Canada) would do that.

Instead, people elected Christy Clark to delete emails and to continue charging people MSP to make up for the tax losses of giving the rich and powerful even more money.

Petitions only work if they are politically powerful. Christy get's no points from her cooperate friends who finance her elections by listening to it. I don't sign petitions. I vote.
Last edited by Atomoa on Dec 20th, 2015, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't really see what's the big deal. We pay for it one way or another. Either we pay for it through deductions or just leaves our account monthly, the end result is the same.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:I don't really see what's the big deal. We pay for it one way or another. Either we pay for it through deductions or just leaves our account monthly, the end result is the same.

Your tax bill would remain the same (provided you don't own a corporation or make over 150K a year) and you wouldn't have to pay a monthly cell phone medical bill.

The MSP is a transfer of the tax burden. The rich pay less tax, we all chip in to make up for it.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC has had MSP premiums for as long as I can remember, so under Social Credit, NDP & BC Liberals (since they are not associated with Federal Liberals).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Atomoa wrote:Your tax bill would remain the same.

Uhh...how? If I no longer pay $1,000 in MSP payments, my taxes will have to go up by $1,000.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Those Provinces who don't charge a monthly MSP premium, just include it in income tax deduction.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:Uhh...how? If I no longer pay $1,000 in MSP payments, my taxes will have to go up by $1,000.

Tax burden shift - the rich pay less tax - you make up for it.

Unless you make over 150K or own a corporation, why would your taxes go up?

Raise taxes on BC highest earners and up the corporate rate. There's the thousand dollars that you were previously kicking in for the guy with a 3 million dollar chalet home in Whistler. I don't know why you feel the need to pay a extra thousand dollars a year in taxes so Jimmy Pattison can pay less taxes, but you can still do that after we eliminate the MSP if you want I suppose. Cut him a check and maybe he'll send you a bottle of wine?

It's actually funny. Everyone in BC should start sending 72 dollars a month to the bankers and wealthy of the community with a little note attached that says "So sorry your not doing well financially - here's a little something to help you through the rough times". That homeless guy's note would be a hoot. "I'm homeless now so your tax bill cab be lower, make sure you buy extra bottle of wine with your meal tonight you obviously need it more that I do"
Last edited by Atomoa on Dec 20th, 2015, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Raise corporate taxes, sound good. Of course those corporation just increase the price of services and/or goods, so they continue to have that profit margin they want.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Whether PRO RATED medical premiums are paid separately or paid as part of our PRO RATED system of determining who pays what amount of income tax makes no real difference.

Whether you pay 4 dollars in premiums and 9 dollars in taxes that go toward paying medical costs is the same as paying 13 dollars in medical costs that you pay on your income tax.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:Raise corporate taxes, sound good. Of course those corporation just increase the price of services and/or goods, so they continue to have that profit margin they want.

They can try to raise prices by 72 dollars a month, and I'll (and others) will shop elsewhere.I'm still waiting for a Big Mac to cost 12 dollars because of the minimum wage increase.
Last edited by Atomoa on Dec 20th, 2015, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “B.C.”