What is said about Christy Clark Government

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What is said about Christy Clark Government

Post by Rwede »

Symbonite wrote:side note. Still to date...the HST was a better Idea than going back to the PST....

No kidding. The PST is a fricken expensive nightmare.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The BC Liberals have lost two by-elections tonight but people might find this interesting - from Keith Baldrey on Twitter:

Fun byelection fact: sitting BC govt. has won TWO of the last 21 byelections, dating back to 1982. Christy Clark won both of them, #bcpoli
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I wouldn't call her last one, Westside-Kelowna, a win, more like a set up, don't you think.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Smurf wrote:I wouldn't call her last one, Westside-Kelowna, a win, more like a set up, don't you think.
Voters still had the final say though and you have to consider what would have happened if the NDP candidate had won that byelection. When Christy Clark took over from Gordon Campbell many people were demanding an immediate provincial election because they said she didn't have a mandate to govern. So those voices would have been present, and even stronger, if Clark had lost.

If she had lost the byelection would Clark then have tried to run in another byelection? Or would she have resigned as premier and thrown the Liberal Party into a leadership race? Would the net effect have been good for the province? Would it have been good for the residents in Westside-Kelowna? Anyway, despite her faults she's done something twice that no one else has done even once since 1982 and that's win a byelection for the governing party.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

What the federal Liberals are saying to Christy Clark is, "Welcome to Ottawa."
What the federal Liberals are saying to Christy Clark is, "Welcome to Ottawa."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:The BC Liberals have lost two by-elections tonight but people might find this interesting - from Keith Baldrey on Twitter:
Fun byelection fact: sitting BC govt. has won TWO of the last 21 byelections, dating back to 1982. Christy Clark won both of them, #bcpoli

One of the ridings was Jenny Kwanumist's old riding, that she vacated for the Federal riding to start working on her next pension plan. You could run a dead dog in that riding and win for the NDP. Which is why if the NDP ever win again (shudder) and their leader doesn't win, that riding would be perfect for a by-election for the NDP leader to run in. But of course, this would be praised as "sound strategy" by the NDP hypocrites.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

[quote="Urbane"][/quote]

The federal government are welcoming all provincial leaders to Ottawa,nothing special for Christy Clark.. One of Trudeau's election promises was to work with all the provinces,something Harper refused to do.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by maple leaf » 31 minutes ago

The federal government are welcoming all provincial leaders to Ottawa,nothing special for Christy Clark.. One of Trudeau's election promises was to work with all the provinces

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 5th, 2016, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Poor mining industry!!

So, the mining industry gave over $3 million to Christy's war chest and some people like Integrity BC are complaining!

It appears, you see, that the mining companies have received $300 million in subsidies and these cynics are thinking there might be a connection! Surely we all realize that the mining industry have been such wonderful custodians of the environment in British Columbia that any good government would give them a little bit of a reward.

That they are a good government can be seen by the approval it consistently gets without exception, from the Fraser Institute, The Canadian Taxpayers Federation and the Business Council of BC. I'll just bet you that Resource Works, Woodfibre LNG and the Fish Farmers would agree. I forgot the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers and their good friends at Postmedia.

I say that there's far too much cynicism in this province when a paltry $300 million subsidy to the mining industry can get anyone upset and even suggest that they got it by a little, ahem, bribery.

I'm sure Christy would assure us that she, vice premier Gumshoe, and all her ministers have sworn on the Good Book that they would never ever, cross their hearts and hope to die, even look at a donor's list before doing favours, oops, I mean discharging their duty.

http://rafeonline.com/

Time for the ChristyLiberals to take a page from the Feds and put an end to corporate/union and donations from other than individuals to party coffers!!! (Like THAT will ever happen!!)
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ I'd like to see an objective discussion about government subsidies for the mining industry. I get the problem with donations from an industry to a political party and subsidies granted (and donations from unions to a political party and favours granted) but to what extent, if any, are provincial subsidies needed in the mining industry? If the government cut out all subsidies would there be an adverse effect on the provincial economy? Jobs lost? Or to we need some level of subsidies but the current subsidies are too high? Rafe Mair refers to subsidies totalling $300 million but over what time span? Here again though maybe we need a new thread because this one is just about what people are saying about the Christy Clark government. Oh well . . .
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote:Time for the ChristyLiberals to take a page from the Feds and put an end to corporate/union and donations from other than individuals to party coffers!!! (Like THAT will ever happen!!)

I agree with that.

Apparently, you like Steve Harper's move to limit federal party donations to individuals, too.

Christy, however, is a Federal Liberal, and they've always thrived on corporate and union donations, even getting caught in October's election taking union donations illegally.

Thus, I don't expect Christy to do anything other than stay being Liberal and accepting corporate and union donations, same as Justin' party has always done until Harper outlawed it (except for the illegal donations last year Justin happily lapped up).
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:
It appears, you see, that the mining companies have received $300 million in subsidies

Just what is the stupid clown Rabid Rafe calling a subsidy? Sounds like he is doing what all the environut loons do, and is just pulling numbers straight out of his fat *bleep*.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cknw.com/2016/02/12/b-c-camp ... f=facebook

looks like christy is taxing us more and more
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by maple leaf » Feb 5th, 2016, 4:48 pm

The federal government are welcoming all provincial leaders to Ottawa,nothing special for Christy Clark.. One of Trudeau's election promises was to work with all the provinces,something Harper refused to do.

What does that comment have to do with what is being said about Christy Clark ??
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by maryjane48 » Today, 5:32 pm

http://www.cknw.com/2016/02/12/b-c-camp ... f=facebook

looks like Christy is taxing us more and more

Would that not mean more money for the BC social safety nets ?? Are you aware that the alternative would be to borrow money as PM Trudeau is doing ?? Is that what you are advocating ??

That damn fool Premier Christy Clark is forcing BC to maintain our position as the financially healthiest province in Canada.
Last edited by Donald G on Feb 12th, 2016, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “B.C.”