2016 Geoff Mantler Award Winner Announced

Veovis
Guru

Re: 2016 Geoff Mantler Award Winner Announced

Post by Veovis »

please itemize everything on the hood, and detailed explanation of the slouch then odd movements.

Seems weird that someone calls this in then tapes it all. There is a chance this officer used more than required force (looks possible), and a chance that he needs to keep himself safe in an unknown situation.

Recently I watched someone outside my office with a pile of drugs go nuts on cops and people around, I was shocked they didn't beat him senseless as he would have deserved.

Personally I think this instance is worth investigation, and then letting the public know what happened, unfortunately, our media isn't interested in that but more interested in cell footage where the camera pans away from time to time and back for the "bad" part.

I would like to see a little more including the officer/car cameras if possible before making a police office into a bad guy here.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

No kidding! This is another of those cases where some people are prepared to indict and condemn before the investigation is complete and the results considered. Pathetic. To come to the conclusion as did the original poster in this instance, based on that cellphone video, that wasn't even good cellphone video, is pretty poor. It may well turn out that this officer used excessive force in dealing with this man; however, it may well turn out that there were circumstances that warranted a more aggressive response from the officer. Maybe the man had resisted a cursory search for weapons and perhaps was doing something that made the officer think he was reaching for a weapon of some sort. The original poster doesn't know; I don't know, nor does anyone else at this juncture. These kinds of preemptive attacks and condemnation of police officers, where almost none of the facts of the particular incident are known, are inexcusable and opportunistic on the part of people who are usually highly prejudiced against all police officer.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I'd say when you throw someone to the ground and risk cracking their head open, that's not just an indication of a bad police officer, but also of a terrible person.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I'd say when you throw someone to the ground and risk cracking their head open, that's not just an indication of a bad police officer, but also of a terrible person.

Or, you can wait until more information becomes available and the incident gets investigated.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If the hobbled lady gets $9.000, this fellow should be good for $100.000. Kinda to bad that it will be taxpayers money.
Black Dogs Matter
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

All drunk driving should come with a complementary beating.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Although it is probably a waste of time, will say again that waiting until the incident has been investigated and the fact known is the intelligent thing to do before making any judgements. The police officer may have used excessive force, however his actions could well be mitigated to some extent by the situation that gave rise to his actions. Cops are required to make decisions and act in split seconds. Persons who wish to assess/criticize their actions have the luxury of unlimited time to do so. As in this case, the OP has opted not to avail himself/herself of the time available.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

I saw the video, which is really clear--a lot clearer than the Mantler video--and it is pretty clear that the officer savagely threw the man to the ground. When is it ever acceptable for an officer to assault a citizen, or risk killing him?

Sad part is, if there hadn't been a video, we never would have heard of this, or else the officer would have claimed the guy went for his gun.

What will likely end up happening is the citizen will sue the RCMP and once again the taxpayers will end up picking up the secret tab for officer Rambo.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Hassel99 wrote:All drunk driving should come with a complementary beating.

There are probably some nasty nations that would oblige you. Enjoy your stay!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Hassel99 wrote:All drunk driving should come with a complementary beating.

looks like he took a drunk off the road that could of killed people,
so i say great job rcmp :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

All things aside, I do wonder what she was doing hiding in the bushes taking the video.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

does seem like a set up, who does that ???
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

FreeRights wrote:All things aside, I do wonder what she was doing hiding in the bushes taking the video.

Exercising her rights.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

And I have absolutely no problem with her filming, but she also has the right to film the incident from anywhere else.

Return to “B.C.”