Special Needs Children in BC

W105
Guru

Re: Special Needs Children in BC

Post by W105 »

my god Donald G, what on earth do you think society should do to children with special needs ??? get rid of them ??

do you really believe a person should be punished for having a child with special needs ??? and a child who has special needs should be punished ??

what does society get in return ????????? what a horrible thing to say !!!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by oneh2obabe » Yesterday, 9:23 pm

Donald G wrote:
I wish people would stop making completely false statements.

What was the false statement?

The false statement was that made by Auto1 ...

by Auto1 » Jan 27th, 2016, 3:09 pm

War Veterans have to prove themselves again and again. Even if both of your legs were blown off, they still need a doctor's note every year to support that claim. It is sick and wrong.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Donald G wrote:
The false statement was that made by Auto1 ...

by Auto1 » Jan 27th, 2016, 3:09 pm

War Veterans have to prove themselves again and again. Even if both of your legs were blown off, they still need a doctor's note every year to support that claim. It is sick and wrong.

It wasn't a false statement. They had to report yearly but that was quietly changed to every 3 years in 2015.

A wounded soldier who lost both legs in Afghanistan will have to verify his condition and the kind of support needed, including his wheelchair, to Veterans Affairs every three years, rather than annually under a policy change.

The revision was quietly unveiled in the House of Commons on Friday by Pierre Lemieux, parliamentary secretary to the veterans minister.

In addition, Lemieux told opposition parties that veterans who are required to complete these renewals under the veterans independence program will have six months to hand in the paperwork, considerably longer than under the current system.

Paul Franklin, who was a master corporal when he lost his legs in a 2006 roadside bombing in Kandahar, has long complained about the veterans system and its annual review.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wounded ... -1.2976893
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

This is a rather unfortunate situation, but the fact remains that in every government funded program some level of proof is required for funding to continue. While whatever situation one might be in would make someone sensitive to the issue they face, we call it "the bad always ruin it for the good".

If you are hurt at work WCB requires proof, not only of the incident, but of the injury as well. There are many who take advantage by faking their injury, or delaying report of their progress towards recovery.

ICBC has a new ad campaign siting fraudulent injuries cost millions of dollars, increasing premiums to drivers all across the board. It also makes it difficult and a lengthy process for those legitimately injured to get resolve.

Government funded daycare requires a new application every 6 months, your financial situation may have improved making you ineligible, or reducing the amount of the previous funding.

Canada pension benefits, survivor benefits etc all have a set of rules, regardless of how much life costs or what you think you are owed by the government if you take more than you are owed repayment is required.

How many people collect EI and work for cash under the table?

Ever apply for a passport? Change one letter or number of your identification and they will notice, requiring relevant documentation.

Veterans affairs workers are strewn about the country, call the 1-800 number and whoever you connect with becomes your case worker, their case load with the government reduction in services is horrendous.

There are many unfortunate situations where an honest person with a legitimate issue is put through the wringer, emotions need to be taken out of the equation when you realize there are billions of pieces of paper out there and yes, in Ottawa or Victoria (or wherever) you are just a piece of paper. Wouldn't it be nice if every honest person could have a personal relationship with their case worker.

With the increase of diagnosis (or non) in children's developmental conditions, unfortunately, there must be some sort standard in place to ensure those who really need assistance and funding receive it.

We've all seen the kid in the grocery store who has a meltdown because they didn't get a candy bar, a single application with a forever expiry date is not the answer to ensuring honest use of complex (and sadly yes, inadequate) funding.

I sympathize with your struggle and the offense you take but the truth remains the bad always ruin it for the good.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

I hear everything everyone is saying, and if you have a disability, whether it is physical or developmental and will never change (ie, loosing a limb, DS, CP, Autism) these things do not change. Our Special Needs Teacher came to me every year to review my daughter's abilities and non abilities to get the funding required for the next year. I see this plan from the BC Government, as painting everyone with the same brush, yet it is not welcomed to do that if we are talking race or religion.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

For the government at ANY level to hand out money without documented verification of the justification for the financial support from taxpayers would be far more sickening than the limited requirements presently in place. Taking everyone's word for their personal condition and doling out the money accordingly would be completely asinine and irresponsible.

We have enough corruption of the various systems as it is.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

ohgeeze wrote:First of all...you don't walk out with a cheque in hand, secondly the reports that I have are from roughly 3 years old. Doctor's, physiotherapists, speech pathologists, special needs teachers and aides, the list goes on. The file at that time was over an 1 1/2 thick.

I'm sorry that some people do not understand the constant loop holes we have to go through and hope they never have to find out.

The people in this article have already done the paperwork to prove that their child is intellectually disabled. Is there any other group of people that have to prove themselves again and again?

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have to go through so many road blocks.

I have a question about the documentation they are looking for? Is it just proof of the disability, or the specific issues that your child faces such a speech, physical disabilities etc? As your child with a disability grows their abilities grows as well. What might be needed now, might not be needed in the future and vise versa. I just wonder if they want current documentation, so they are able to provide you with the proper funding needed for your child's needs.
hail Satan y'all
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by whatwhat » 15 minutes ago

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have to go through so many road blocks.

When taxpayer money is concerned I see them as intermittent checkpoints to insure that the money being donated is justified rather than roadblocks aimed at stopping those who justify their passage. Given the sometimes significant amount of money involved the return per hour to obtain it is, in most cases, very lucrative.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Donald G wrote:When taxpayer money is concerned I see them as intermittent checkpoints to insure that the money being donated is justified rather than roadblocks aimed at stopping those who justify their passage.

I do agree with you, but I think we are coming from two different directions.

I think people with disabilities fully deserve all the funding they need. I think the re-testing and documentation could be really useful in making sure the child (or adult) is getting the adequate services and care they need to thrive in our community. It shouldn't be about saving tax payer's money, but about funding the individual adequately.

But with saying that, I don't really know much about the process of proving the disability and what it entails. That is why I am asking for clarification on that matter.
hail Satan y'all
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

I have a question about the documentation they are looking for? Is it just proof of the disability, or the specific issues that your child faces such a speech, physical disabilities etc? As your child with a disability grows their abilities grows as well. What might be needed now, might not be needed in the future and vise versa. I just wonder if they want current documentation, so they are able to provide you with the proper funding needed for your child's needs.

Here is the link I provided in my original post :) http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=79520 ... tPageNum=1
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Sadly, this seems to be very common amongst the different Government Agencies and it just show how incompetent those are making policies in the different agencies.

In my opinion it is no different then a passport of a Canadian expired by one or even three years. Why do we have to jump hoops to renew it when the only thing changing is possibly a address. Could they not just have a addition one page attached to the Government document showing the change add your new photo and it's done? No they want to you do the same documents all eight pages as someone who never has had one, which is unnecessary. Job creation and retention.

Once a child or adult is determined to have a disability, can they not consider the patient and come to the conclusion they will still be disabled... it makes no sense at all, just justifying a position is all.

The old saying common sense is just not common.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by Ken7 » 26 minutes ago

Once a child or adult is determined to have a disability, can they not consider the patient and come to the conclusion they will still be disabled... it makes no sense at all, just justifying a position is all

I agree with you up to a point, with certain medical conditions but think we have to keep in mind that;

1. There are probably as many scammers out there trying for a free ride as there are actual ill people, especially regarding "stress leave".

2. There are any number of medical conditions that one can recover or partially recover from.

3. New technology and drugs regularly come along that people with an "mental aversion due to their mental condition" to treatment may not receive the benefit of without mandatory updating.

4. Patients who move from one area to another seldom bring their old medical records from their previous doctor and the local medical facilities have to start over again.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Patients who move from one area to another seldom bring their old medical records from their previous doctor and the local medical facilities have to start over again.

Not at all. The patient's new clinic/doctor contact asks for a release from the patient to obtain their medical history from the doctor/clinic/hospital they attended previously.

Been there. Done that. Got my medical issues dealt with in under 6 months in my NEW residence location.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by flamingfingers » 2 minutes ago

Not at all. The patient's new clinic/doctor contact asks for a release from the patient to obtain their medical history from the doctor/clinic/hospital they attended previously.

On the other hand I moved eleven times and never had old medical records forwarded. When I was medically discharged I did sign a form giving the RCMP authority to release information to the DVA and filled out a one page form with pertinent information regarding medical issues and doctors names and addresses.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^In your case, DONALD, your RCMP medical file went with you as you were still a member. But when you were discharged, you ceased to be a member and were considered a 'private citizen' who was asked to and provided permission for the RCMP to share your medical files to the DVA.

I know it is hard for you to understand the difference.
Chill

Return to “B.C.”