We're last! We're last!

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: We're last!! We're last!!!

Post by Rwede »

maple leaf wrote:If your experience in a workplace have become greater than what the employers is willing to offer to pay you ,then it is up to you to something about that if you want more ,negotiate, or move on ,or stay the same and be happy you have the job.

You forgot the most obvious option: blame the government.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

maple leaf wrote:If your experience in a workplace have become greater than what the employers is willing to offer to pay you ,then it is up to you to something about that if you want more ,negotiate, or move on ,or stay the same and be happy you have the job.

*removed* That is not what you believe. You have never on these threads advocated negotiate, move on, or be happy you have a job.
The only thing you have promoted is negotiate and if you don't achieve what you desire, go on strike and try to cripple the employer and force them to cave to your demands irregardless of the economic realities of the businesses ability to pay. And when they do finally cave to your perceived worth, you are shocked when they close up shop a few can kicks down the road and everyone is unemployed. There was a lesson to be learned from Electro Motive that you clearly missed.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 12th, 2016, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

twobits wrote: You have never on these threads advocated negotiate.
The only thing you have promoted is negotiate .

Putting back into context of the conversation of this thread and what I was commenting on about people complaining a min wage level entry worker getting paid as much as an experienced worker, I stand on what I said.

If your experience in a workplace have become greater than what the employers is willing to offer to pay you ,then it is up to you to something about that if you want more ,negotiate, or move on ,or stay the same and be happy you have the job.But saying you are getting paid only the same as an entry level employee without your experience is not that persons fault,for wanting to be paid a living wage.How does it work in the province that has the highest min wage?

Also a smart employer will realize the benefits of an experienced employee and in most cases ,experience and long time service comes with perks and privileges .I worked for the same company for 30 years. My employer couldn't pay more than they did ,but while the min wage new guy would be cleaning up the mess in the warehouse I would be down at Costco ,or Home depot purchasing things for the next project the new min wage worker would be doing.I would be camping and fishing through the summer while the new guy was shovelling snow in January,unless he made enough to fly to Mexico.Hard times came around he was laid off and I was carried through.But I don't begrudge him from earning almost as much as I did while he worked there.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: We're last! We're last!

Post by dirtybiker »

For example purposes only.
If a person has been the same wage for several yrs, everything has gone up except the wage.
Said employee has built the business, brought new customers on board and is diligent about
retaining existing customers to help them build their business as well.

You would think said employee would be deserving of a pay raise, or, an equivalent benefit
that helps cut down on that employees expenditures.

But,

Since, in turn, all the businesses expenditures to stay in business have gone up as well.

This leaves very little wiggle room to be doleing out raises.

I get it, but, dang it's getting expensive to have a job!!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

When "more experience" on the part of an employee does not enable an employer to make more money what is the grounds for believing the employee should be paid more money ?? There are thousands of such positions across Canada.

They provide work experience to young people entering the work force but have no "advancement" opportunities. They also provide subsistence money for those who, for whatever reason, are not qualified or do not want more challenging employment opportunities.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Donald G wrote:When "more experience" on the part of an employee does not enable an employer to make more money what is the grounds for believing the employee should be paid more money ?? .

When that experience has landed more business for the company to the
point of the employee not being able to keep up with all the new work as well as the existing.
(not enough hours in the day syndrome.)

Therefore garnered enough new work that another position is created, thus more expenditures
in equipment, training, wages, etc.

Still, leaving the "experienced" right back in the same spot, not enough $$$$'s for a raise.

More money is generated overall, the holdings become worth more but that doesn't
necessarily mean there is sufficient (by owners views) monies to hand out raises.

The raise should have been taken care of BEFORE any other position gets created.

And, sorry, kinda, sorta strayed from the topic of mandated min. wage raises.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I would agree with you within the specific "employee created additional business" parameters stated. As identified, my comments were limited to those businesses that were not growing or where a high percentage of employee salaries were already being paid out and additional business brought with it additional high employee costs. ie fast food restaurants, fruit picking, farm labour.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Donald G wrote:I would agree with you

OK, where is Donald G and, what have you done with him?????
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:I would agree with you within the specific "employee created additional business" parameters stated. As identified, my comments were limited to those businesses that were not growing or where a high percentage of employee salaries were already being paid out and additional business brought with it additional high employee costs. ie fast food restaurants, fruit picking, farm labour.

Donald, I think you missed his point. He started on modest terms. He became experienced in the business and acquired skills that actually enabled him to increase business for his employer. That would in common sense logic mean that he deserves more in remuneration. His employer also in common sense logic understands that and wants to actually reward said employee. What however happens when the gov't steps in and determines a level of wage that is not driven by true market place supply and demand of skill set, is the employer has no choice but to meet the level set by the government, regardless of the skill set brought to the table, and there are no longer funds available to reward the employee that has achieved a skill set. Even Unions recognize the hierarchy of starting wages that raise with acquired training, education, and experience. Set minimum wages ignore that principle of understanding and common sense across all industries.
Lefties like to use the phrase "race to the bottom" when speaking of evil Corp's squeezing wages. The actual eventuality and truth however of inflated minimum wage laws is not boosting a majority of the workforce, as minimum wage earners are actually a small minority of the total full time employed workforce, but rather a dragging down to the lowest common denominator to those that could not be bothered to improve their skill set. So what we end up with in conjunction with inflated minimum wage laws is a set of people who actually have no motivation to improve skill sets or contribute to their own employers success as long as they just show up and do enough to not get fired.
And if anyone thinks that is a silly notion, consider what the Federal NDP propose with a universal 15/hr minimum wage. Under that ridiculous scenario a working couple would be earning 60k per yr with two full time jobs at Dairy Queen. Sounds great to kids coming out of high school too. "Why go to college, tech school or get a trade when me and my squeeze can pull 60k a yr cuz the Gov't says they have to pay us that to show up except when it's a good snow day on the hill".

But hey, let's go for it. Look after all the people. Even the one's that can't be bothered cuz the Gov't will ensure a quality of living that matches their needs right thru retirement years. All guaranteed by Gov't mandate. Works really good until the entitled chit hits the fan and the fan quits spinning like in Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, France, Italy. Suddenly two generations of great pay for 30hr work weeks, 8 paid weeks of vacation and every benefit imaginable are in the street protesting about where all the money went.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”