Crass Christy

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Crass Christy

Post by flamingfingers »

Site C wasn't needed in 1984, 32 years ago, but it will be needed in the years ahead.

You don't know that. It is your opinion. Lots of others do support that 'opinion'; however, until the BCUC has evaluated it and reported on it, I and many, many others DO NOT support that 'opinion'....

There are many other options available that may prove to be more efficient, economical and less damaging environmentally - unfortunately the ChristyLiberals are too bound up in their ideology and arrogant ignorance to even attempt to investigate those other options.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by flamingfingers » 12 minutes ago

You don't know that. It is your opinion. Lots of others do support that 'opinion'; however, until the BCUC has evaluated it and reported on it, I and many, many others DO NOT support that 'opinion'....

WADR I believe that the term "I and many others" to be one of those vague terms that suggests someone is speaking for a group, when in fact they are only imposing their personal opinion on others in order to give credence to their opinion. Similar to "they say".
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Well, DONALD, perhaps you could read sources outside the ChristyLiberal website 'news releases'.

The debate comes on the heels of a Union of B.C. Municipalities resolution which calls on the province to send the hydroelectric dam project to the B.C. Utilities Commission for review and consultation because Site C has “raised issues, including the potential impact on B.C. Hydro ratepayers and provincial taxpayers.”

But Bennett said in the legislature that Site C has already been reviewed by several levels of experts.

“We have examined the need. We have examined the cost. We have examined the alternatives. We’ve examined the impacts. We’ve worked with First Nations as best we can. We’ve examined the environmental impact. We’ve examined the impact on agriculture. Yet the NDP claims to have a position that that’s not good enough,” he said.

In an exclusive interview with DeSmog Canada, however, Harry Swain, the chair of the Site C joint review panel, said the province should have waited to make a decision on the project until after review by the B.C. Utilities Commission. He described the failure to investigate alternatives to the dam as a “dereliction of duty.”

In addition the former CEO of BC Hydro, Marc Eliesen, said ratepayers in B.C. will face “devastating” increases to their electricity bills if Site C goes through.

http://www.desmog.ca/2015/10/01/b-c-mla ... l-approval
Chill
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Donald G wrote:WADR I believe that the term "I and many others" to be one of those vague terms that suggests someone is speaking for a group, when in fact they are only imposing their personal opinion on others in order to give credence to their opinion. Similar to "they say".

So that would also apply here : A quote from Urbane.
Site C wasn't needed in 1984, 32 years ago, but it will be needed in the years ahead. Site C has the support of the majority of people now because they recognize the need to plan ahead for our energy needs. Most of us recognize Premier Clark's comments in the eulogy as complimentary ones and do not label them crass. Most of us understand that Premier Bennett's vision included support for hydro-electric projects and if he were alive today he would be happy with her comments.

But the thing is outside of BC Hydro and the government and loyal supporters, there are so many educated people who do not agree,with Urbanes opinion.Christy Clark using a funeral to mention Site C to further her political agenda ,absolutely crass.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Without getting too far off topic, since this thread isn't about Site C or anyone else by Christy Clark, let's look at this. It's from a CBC article after Jack Layton's funeral:

In his eulogy, former Ontario NDP leader Stephen Lewis mourned the fact that Layton died "at the pinnacle of his career." Lewis said Layton's personal and political style was "so civil, so accessible."

Lewis, whose words were at times highly partisan, sparked a standing ovation when he praised Layton's last letter to Canadians, which he said "was at its heart a manifesto for social democracy."

Now, that's what I would call trying to further your political agenda, and in this case the political agenda of your chosen party, with words at a funeral. Does it offend me? No. Do I think it's crass? No. But anyone who thinks that Clark's praising of Bill Bennett while tying his vision to Site C was crass would absolutely have to agree that what Stephen Lewis said was crass.

There's a recurring script on here. We all know that politicians all over the world have photo-ops but the Christy-bashers call her Premier Photo-op and try to convince us that she's the only one who has photo-ops. Other provincial leaders go on trade missions but it's terrible when Christy Clark does it. Even when we see results (yes, I've posted the lists of agreements signed in the past).

She praises Bill Bennett and ties Site C to his visionary spirit and she's labeled "crass" even though we know full well that politicians speak at memorial services and funerals all the time and say things far more partisan than what Clark said. On and on it goes. It's certainly entertaining but not helpful for those of us who are more interested in discussing issues of substance.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

(yes, I've posted the lists of agreements signed in the past).

These 'agreements' are simply 'Memorandums of Understanding' - or MOUs. Which are essentially meaningless in terms of actual commitments to a business relationship.

In the world of commerce or international negotiations, a MOU is considered to be a preliminary document - an agreement to meet and discuss - not a comprehensive agreement. Rather an interim or partial agreement on some elements, in some cases a mere agreement in larger principle, on which there has been accord, and on which a legally binding, comprehensive contract can be premised.

In fact, some MOUs are merely agreements to share information or to meet regularly and continue discussions or negotiations on an issue.

Most MOU’s imply - but do not guarantee - that something more is eventually expected.

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/ ... nding.aspx
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ There you go. Sometimes there's an agreement "to meet and discuss" and that opens the door. Sometimes the results of these trade missions aren't immediate but it's important to open that door. Anyway, the point is that Christy Clark isn't the first and only premier to go on trade missions, or to have photo-ops, or to speak at a memorial service and convey a message that praises while tying that praise to a political vision. BTW, I'm looking forward to your comments about what Stephen Lewis had to say at Jack Layton's funeral. Did you think it was crass when he tried to further a political agenda or was that not crass?
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Urbane wrote:She praises Bill Bennett and ties Site C to his visionary spirit and she's labeled "crass" even though we know full well that politicians speak at memorial services and funerals all the time and say things far more partisan than what Clark said. On and on it goes. It's certainly entertaining but not helpful for those of us who are more interested in discussing issues of substance.

Maybe if it actually was Bennetts vision,but the Environmental minister of the day who was there and worked with Bennet when the decision was made not to go a head with Site c says no.But Urbane agrees with Christy Clark it was Bennett's vision.I'll go with the guy who was there.Who knows ,Bill Bennet could be rolling around in his grave now knowing that thanks to Christy Clark he will be tied to the boondoggle of Site C that so many educated people are saying it will be.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Don't you think that Jack Layton pushed for 'social democracy'? Lewis simply reiterated what Layton stood for. He didn't skew Layton's 'vision' like Christy did with the late premier Bill Bennett.

OOps! Looks like the post I was responding to was 'disappeared'...
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Don't you think that Jack Layton pushed for 'social democracy'? Lewis simply reiterated what Layton stood for. He didn't skew Layton's 'vision' like Christy did with the late premier Bill Bennett.

OOps! Looks like the post I was responding to was 'disappeared'...
So it turns out that you ARE in fact okay with a political agenda being put forward at a memorial service or funeral after all. Just not when Christy Clark does it. As for her skewing Bill Bennett's vision I'll remind you that his son has been a big promoter of Site C and Brad is very proud of the family legacy when it comes to hydro-electric power. The notion that he or any members of the Bennett family would be offended in any way with the compliments delivered by Ms Clark at the memorial service is ridiculous. Excerpt from Brad Bennett's column in the Vancouver Sun (Dec 13, 2013):
Many years ago, my grandfather’s vision for harnessing our hydro-electric potential was met with a lot of skepticism. Today, that vision is perhaps his greatest legacy. It’s time to build on our hydroelectric legacy and move ahead with Site C. Future generations will be glad we did.

I'm sure that Bill was very proud of his son Brad and I'm just as sure that he was supportive of his son's efforts to make Site C a reality. 1983 wasn't Site C's time but that time is now. Now, it makes sense to discuss the merits of Site C here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=65287 and get this thread back on topic, i.e. the alleged crassness of Christy Clark.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I personally do not pay much attention to what people say or how they say it.

Judging people by what they *DO* eliminates having to listen to hour upon hour of useless diatribe.

What Premier Clark and the Bennetts have *DONE* for the Province of BC is significant. What others *SAY* they would do or that the Bennetts and Christy should have done or not done is nothing but useless chatter. Like static on a radio.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Donald G wrote:I personally do not pay much attention to what people say or how they say it.

Judging people by what they *DO* eliminates having to listen to hour upon hour of useless diatribe.

What Premier Clark and the Bennetts have *DONE* for the Province of BC is significant. What others *SAY* they would do or that the Bennetts and Christy should have done or not done is nothing but useless chatter. Like static on a radio.

Please list what Premier Christy Clark has done for the majority of British Columbians.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by madmudder » Today, 6:10 am

Please list what Premier Christy Clark has done for the majority of British Columbians.

Lets start with the fact that she has put BC in first place compared to the rest of Canada. And since, under Harper, Canada was consistently one of the top three Western Countries in terms of financial stability and financial well being according to the Heads of the World Bank and Bank of Canada I would say that Premier Clark has done a great deal for BC

Given the vast identified economic potential of Site C I expect that BC will still be in that position when she leaves politics and for many years thereafter. Much like the Bennett Dam did for BC during past years.

Apparently NDP advocates do not understand the past, present and future significance of that.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Wow what a list you must be so proud of her."World Bank" Is that the same economists that couldn't predict the crash of 2008?
Site C is being built to convert ng to lng. Nothing more nothing less. Another gift for the oil and gas industry.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by madmudder » Today, 6:13 am

Wow what a list you must be so proud of her."World Bank" Is that the same economists that couldn't predict the crash of 2008?
Site C is being built to convert ng to lng. Nothing more nothing less. Another gift for the oil and gas industry

It is evident that not everyone understands the purpose and perspective of the World Bank.

It is also evident that not everyone appreciates the significant short and long term effects of the Site C project to BC and Western Canada. Nor the identified relationship between Site C, greenhouse gasses and the carboniferous oil and gas industry.

Fortunately our astute BC Premier DOES understand the difference.

Return to “B.C.”