Crass Christy

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Crass Christy

Post by flamingfingers »

Memorial celebrates both sides of former premier Bill Bennett

Batting cleanup among the speakers highlighting the public side of Bennett’s life was Premier Christy Clark, who lately represents Kelowna in the legislature, as Bennett (and his father W.A.C. before him) did in their years as premier.

Though Clark has worked closely with Bennett’s son Brad, the current chair of BC Hydro, she had just turned 10 years old when Bill was elected premier in late 1975 and was approaching her 21st birthday when he stepped down in summer 1986.

She characterized him as “my premier” for the first decade of a somewhat precocious state of political awareness.

Still Clark did not exactly grow up in a Bennett-supporting household. Her father, a Burnaby school teacher, lost three bids for provincial office as a Liberal at a time when Social Credit was the governing party of the Bennetts.

Jim Clark’s daughter handled that footnote of her own history with a laugh line, recalling her father railing about the Bill Bennett-authored public sector wage guidelines of eight per cent in the first year and — “wait for it” — 14 per cent in the second. Such was what passed for “restraint” in the early 1980s.

Clark also credited Bennett with the inspiration for Site C, neglecting to mention how he shelved the project for a generation. “I will get it to the point of no return,” added the premier, which I took to be a vow to sign enough contracts in the next year that neither the courts nor a change of government would halt construction.

Read the rest here:
http://www.vancouversun.com/search/Vaug ... =6f41-581a

Clark vows to get Site C “past the point of no return” …during memorial.
ON FEBRUARY 2, 2016 12:32 PM BY LAILAIN BC LIBERALS, BC NDP, BC POLITICS, CORRUPTION, ENBRIDGE, FEDERAL POLITICS, LAILA YUILE, LNG/FRACKING, LNGINDUSTRY/FRACKING, P3 PROJECTS IN BC, THE CHINA CONNECTION, THE ENVIRONMENT
The memorial for former long time premier Bill Bennett was held yesterday as many friends, family and politicians gathered to remember his life and his life’s work.

Among those speaking was Premier Christy Clark,who somehow still managed to find a way to mention herself in her eulogy:

“She promised to finish Bennett’s vision for the controversial Site C Dam project.

“Premier Bennett, you got it started and I will get it finished. I will get it past the point of no return.”

Moving beyond the fact that politicking at memorials is really poor form,her statement raised eyebrows of many, I’m told by some who were actually there.

Partly because of the inappropriate timing of the comment, but also because Bennett handled his governments attempt at building Site C in a manner completely opposite to that of the current government.

Bennett did have a vision, but he did not just force it through like the Clark government is -at least not when it came to Site C

In fact it was the Bennett government that created the BC Utilities Commission.

It’s job was ( and still is when government allows it) to regulate Hydro rates and review BC Hydro’s projects independently fully and independently to ensure they are needed, costed properly and ensure all projections/estimates are correct.

Site C did not come to pass back in the eighties because when the BC Utilities Commission reviewed it ( remember it was then premier Bennett’s government that created this independent agency) they found that there was no need and that it was not in the best interests of British Columbians. The BCUC instructed BC Hydro and the government to begin investigating and pursing other alternatives like geothermal,solar and other alternate means.

And that was the end of Site C. It died with the BC utilities commissions denial. Why?

Because Bennett did not force the dam through like Clark is. He trusted the analysis of the agency he helped create, and put a stop to the plans when they said no. Whether you were on the same side of Bennett politically or not, you have to respect that he did the right thing here.

Read more here:
http://lailayuile.com/2016/02/02/person ... -memorial/

Christy should NOT be allowed to open her mouth in public!
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Crass Christy

Post by Urbane »

I wouldn't come down too hard on anything positive that someone says at a memorial service and Christy Clark's comments were all in that positive category. She may have stretched the truth a bit (e.g. omitting the fact that she didn't grow up in a Socred home) but Vaughn Palmer's point about Bennett not building Site C is just a reminder that the 1980's weren't the time for Site C. It wasn't needed then but it is now and I'm sure Bill Bennett would have agreed.

As for Laila Yuile, if you look on her blog you'll see that she's mocked just about every move, big, small, and trivial, that Clark has made over the years. We really need to get beyond the trivial and often ridiculous criticisms of Christy Clark and discuss the legitimate ones. Surely there are plenty of legitimate ones! I think a new leader of the Liberal Party, like George Abbott, would be a breath of fresh air but I refuse to trivialize things by criticizing Christy Clark for every single thing that she does.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane, the subject is NOT Site C.

The subject is Christy being so crass as to bring attention to herself and her political agenda during a MEMORIAL service for a premier she could hardly have known personally. God only knows why she was ever even invited to present an eulogy anyway (except for the fact that she is currently the 'premier' of BC).

crass
kras/Submit
adjective
lacking sensitivity, refinement, or intelligence.
"the crass assumptions that men make about women"
synonyms: stupid, insensitive, mindless, thoughtless, ignorant, witless, oafish, boorish, asinine, coarse, gross, graceless, tasteless, tactless, clumsy, heavy-handed, blundering

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... definition
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Urbane, the subject is NOT Site C.

The subject is Christy being so crass as to bring attention to herself and her political agenda during a MEMORIAL service for a premier she could hardly have known personally. God only knows why she was ever even invited to present an eulogy anyway (except for the fact that she is currently the 'premier' of BC).
Well, you referenced Site C by way of the Vaughn Palmer column and I thought part of the premier's alleged crassness was mentioning Site C ("her political agenda") at the memorial service. Anyway, I saw her comments as positive and stomping all over her for what she said is pointless. As I said previously, there are certainly some legitimate complaints to be directed her way.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

She was crass in that she tried to imply that Site C was Bennet's 'vision' and she was going to carry the torch for him - when he shelved the damn thing on the basis of the BCUC recommendation. Which she has refused to allow.

Talk about trying to hitch a ride on the coattails a dead former premier.

THIS at a EULOGY?
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:She was crass in that she tried to imply that Site C was Bennet's 'vision' and she was going to carry the torch for him - when he shelved the damn thing on the basis of the BCUC recommendation. Which she has refused to allow.

Talk about trying to hitch a ride on the coattails a dead former premier.

THIS at a EULOGY?

Most of CC's harshest critics wouldn't characterize the eulogy that way at all. I interpret what she said was in regard to Bennett being a builder and in favour of hydro-electric power etc. I realize you believe that every single thing that the premier does is a complete disaster but that just diminishes the legitimate concerns.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^But you don't bring up what you consider 'legitimate concerns', Urb.

What do YOU see as 'legitimate concerns' with the ChristyLiberal Party'?
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^^But you don't bring up what you consider 'legitimate concerns', Urb.

What do YOU see as 'legitimate concerns' with the ChristyLiberal Party'?
I have brought them up many times but this is a thread about Christy Clark's alleged crassness and not about the legitimate concerns.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:She was crass

LOL - you know, I'm beginning to think when Christy wins the next election in yet another massive landslide, you really will be happy, as what would you have to obsess about otherwise?

She wasn't crass, and to say that is so delusional it defies all reason.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Leave it to Christy to make it all about her.Crass .
Moving beyond the fact that politicking at memorials is really poor form,her statement raised eyebrows of many, I’m told by some who were actually there.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Urbane wrote: I realize you believe that every single thing that the premier does is a complete disaster but that just diminishes the legitimate concerns.

We have the same phenomena going on right now with our federal politics Urbane. I hope none of the Trudeau bashers on these threads are going to criticize flamingfingers for her preoccupation with Ms. Clark. That would be so hypocritical.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Ka-El wrote:We have the same phenomena going on right now with our federal politics Urbane. I hope none of the Trudeau bashers on these threads are going to criticize flamingfingers for her preoccupation with Ms. Clark. That would be so hypocritical.
Many who praise Clark shoot arrows at Trudeau and vice versa. That's interesting because Clark of course is a federal Liberal. I posted a picture yesterday, on another thread, of the federal Liberals welcoming Christy Clark to Ottawa and while there will be differences of opinion I think that you'll see the two governments working well together. Anyway, come next year's election voters will be looking at the economy and not at what Premier Clark said at a memorial service.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Urbane wrote: Anyway, come next year's election voters will be looking at the economy and not at what Premier Clark said at a memorial service.

That's a fact.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The Trudeau government has been in power for just over 3 months. We will wait and see what happens over the next year. And while people claim time and again that Christy is a card-carrying Federal Liberal, I would suggest that she is whatever flavor will keep her in power. ("In my heart, in my heart, I am Filipino!!") Her government is/was more in tune with the HarperCons and I find it difficult to imagine the majority of her government ministers are also card-carrying Federal Liberals.

It also seems that Trudeau wants a better relationship with all premiers of all provinces - including the Notley NDPs in Alberta. Good on him.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Another full personal onslaught on Premier Clark by the dead but obviously not forgotten NDP party. It is embarrassing that when adults consistently think emotionally. If Christy was forego reality and adopt the theoretical thinking of th NDP she would go from Crass Christy to wonderful, thoughtful Christy in a few seconds.

Return to “B.C.”