Provinces have different "Family Days"

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Provinces have different "Family Days"

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Sounds like you want it to be all about you. That's fine, but then you should have told Christy that's what you wanted, instead of allowing her to listen to the rest of the province who wanted it this way.

The interesting thing is that the OP started another thread about his concerns over Silver Star's planned expansion - seeing his concerns about the ski hills in this threads, I'm thinking there's more to his dislike of said Stat Holiday then he's leading on.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

You are allowed to cry and whine and scream in agony over every single thing Christy Clark says and does, just as prior to Oct 19th you were allowed to cry and whine and scream in agony over every single tiny thing that Stephen Harper said and did, but now that Justin is in power and is such an awesome liberal dude, you aren't allowed to say anything bad about him, at all, in any way, even if he does things that are just plain stupid, on pain of being told that you are just a whiner and complainer and obviously he is doing everything right if you are complaining about him. Those are the rules.

The other rule is you can always pretend Harper was God-like and when actually staying on the topic of provincial issues and politics default to complaining about corrupt provincial NDP governments from 2001. :D

On this topic though, and as previously stated on the last page, Ms. Clark did exactly what the majority of the electorate asked. Instead of complaining about it, we should all learn to adapt and maximize it to our own benefit. I know I don’t need a day off to be aligned with everyone else in the country to enjoy it.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Considering BC's economy is mostly based on tourism, I don't feel that it was a bad idea. British Columbians spoke and the Premier listened.

If she had gone against the popular vote, then it would be a whole different controversy. In this situation, I feel that the only problem is that it's named "Family Day"

Perhaps we could have come up with something less generic. Or something to remember someone or something important to our province (perhaps it could even be tied into the Chinese New Year). This way at least people won't use the argument "but I have family in Alberta" the same way they don't complain about BC Day/Civic Holiday
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Omnitheo wrote:Perhaps we could have come up with something less generic. Or something to remember someone or something important to our province (perhaps it could even be tied into the Chinese New Year). This way at least people won't use the argument "but I have family in Alberta" the same way they don't complain about BC Day/Civic Holiday

When I worked for the Ontario government, I spent several weeks working with the BC Wildfire Service out here. They (BC government workers) actually argued with us that we weren't entitled to stat pay for "BC Day" because we were Ontario employees. They refused to believe that "BC Day" was celebrated anywhere else. They were so protective of "their" holiday they had no clue it was the Civic Holiday they'd just taken ownership of.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Omnitheo wrote: In this situation, I feel that the only problem is that it's named "Family Day"

I'm offended by the word family.

I want it struck from all government correspondence and especially from this stat holiday, to something more inclusive like "Partnership Unit and Assorted Offspring Day."

I don't care which day it's on, because when I'm fishing with my Partnership Unit and Assorted Offspring, we just care about whether the fish are biting and not about whether some guy in Quebec has the same day off.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “B.C.”