An Alternative Party for BC?

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: An Alternative Party for BC?

Post by Smurf »

It shouldn't be too hard to at the same time show in all contracts whether or not a company or it's owners have donated to the party in power and how much. A viable alternative would probably get the Liberals out and the door closed behind them which could be both good and bad. I believe any government needs some controls.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It would be nice to see some thoughtful, reasonable people with political experience at the provincial level join their ranks. Experienced, but not content with the status quo. Ideally a few from all parties.

IMO, the adversarial party system no longer serves us well. Perhaps the best change we could make starts with electing our very best in each riding, and having them choose a leader from among themselves. Unlikely to happen, but imagine if no one got elected just to keep their party in power, or to keep the other party out.

Imagine if we focused our attention on what our own MLA was doing, instead of fixating on attacking or defending the leader like it's some high-school popularity contest where beating down those at the top of the "wrong" clique takes precedence.

Imagine a system which encouraged collaborating on sensible solutions.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rustled wrote:It would be nice to see some thoughtful, reasonable people with political experience at the provincial level join their ranks. Experienced, but not content with the status quo. Ideally a few from all parties.

IMO, the adversarial party system no longer serves us well. Perhaps the best change we could make starts with electing our very best in each riding, and having them choose a leader from among themselves. Unlikely to happen, but imagine if no one got elected just to keep their party in power, or to keep the other party out.

Imagine if we focused our attention on what our own MLA was doing, instead of fixating on attacking or defending the leader like it's some high-school popularity contest where beating down those at the top of the "wrong" clique takes precedence.

Imagine a system which encouraged collaborating on sensible solutions.

yes i think what you said here should be the way forward . parties block independant thinking
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Urbane wrote:This excerpt from their platform shows how radical they are. Imagine making all of the budget expenditures public! And imagine ending that race at the end of the year to spend your budget. That's no fun!! Ha ha.

Zero-based budgeting would go a long way to saving the taxpayers money.

It would also force the bureaucrats to actually work on a budget plan, rather than simply saying the 2016 budget = (2015 x 1.05).

I'm certain that there would be a pile of upset bureaucrats, which could only be a good thing.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:I haven't gone through all the aspects of their platform but here might be a chance for the disaffected to help build a party that is a viable alternative.

After all, they keep bleating that they have no 'choices'. Let's see if they can put their money where their mouths are, eh?

Are you included in the "disaffected" in this province? Or can you honestly say right now there is viable alternative to the Liberals in the current parties that are available? If not, are you also going to "put your money where your mouth is" and support a new alternative?
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

maple leaf wrote:When push comes to shove the righties will all vote for Christy Clark to keep the NDP behind the gates of hell.

and what we've also seen is that no matter how dumb or useless the platform, there is no push coming to shove with the lunatic person leftist zealots in this province, they will all vote NDP no matter what. Which is why it is so hard for a third alternative to move in to this province, as so many resources have to be dedicated to stopping the person NDP zealots from seizing power again, and doing their back door deals like Clark and Dix did in 1998 with the BCTF, creating a mess that this province is still trying to clean up 18 years later.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:
BTW - the NDP were rank amateurs in the corruption game compared to this present one.

It's not just about corruption. The Liberals are corrupt, no doubt or argument from me on that one, but the NDP were corrupt, and incredibly and exasperatingly stupid. Their policies were just mindnumbingly brain-less. They are an awful party, who is corrupt, totally in bed with the unions, and couldn't manage a lemonade stand, let alone an entire provincial government. They really should have been disbanded after they were nearly wiped out in 2001. The NDP is a stain on the entire Canadian political system.
Not afraid to say "It".
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

logicalview wrote:
It's not just about corruption. The Liberals are corrupt, no doubt or argument from me on that one, but the NDP were corrupt, and incredibly and exasperatingly stupid. Their policies were just mindnumbingly brain-less. They are an awful party, who is corrupt, totally in bed with the unions, and couldn't manage a lemonade stand, let alone an entire provincial government. They really should have been disbanded after they were nearly wiped out in 2001. The NDP is a stain on the entire Canadian political system.

So, logical, just a quick question for you. Do you think this party could be a contender as an alternative to the not-so-great parties we have now?
I ask merely because you came on here, crapping on the liberals, (lightly), then slamming the NDP, (which I, too, feel they deserve), but say nothing about what this thread is actually about....this new possible alternative party some are looking at creating.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

jamapple wrote:
So, logical, just a quick question for you. Do you think this party could be a contender as an alternative to the not-so-great parties we have now?

Having had a look at some of the planks in their platform, I don't find a lot of specifics. I also don't understand their environmental policy as they seem to put a lot of emphasis on "sustainability" without explaining what that word really means in the context of getting approvals done on projects. I think their platform may appeal to younger people but they will be in tough taking on the Liberal machine funded by business, and the corrupt NDP with their union puppeteers. What I would fear most would be them suctioning votes off of the Liberals and we end up like Alberta, with a crappy NDP government no one really wants .
Not afraid to say "It".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

ll lets hope they suction most the l8bs votes to get rid of the clownshow known as bc libs , who i will add have a death on their hands
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

logical view wrote: What I would fear most would be them suctioning votes off of the Liberals .

Thats why I said when push come to shove ,righties will vote in Christy Clark.This alternative party has been around for 3 elections already.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maple leaf wrote:Thats why I said when push come to shove ,righties will vote in Christy Clark.This alternative party has been around for 3 elections already.

The party system has its faults, big ones, but it's difficult for a group like this one to attract a following without a leader who's out there making speeches and debating the issues. So maybe it's unfair just to blame the "righties."
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

maple leaf wrote:
Thats why I said when push come to shove ,righties will vote in Christy Clark.

If the threat of the evil NDP weren't there, I think people would vote for a different alternative in droves. But the threat is so real, and so terrible, due to the brain-washed NDP masses who either don't have jobs and are on welfare, or want to feed at the massive government trough the NDP provides to unions (hello BCTF, I'm looking at you) and other friends, that the chance just can't be taken to split the vote. The NDP truly is keeping the Liberals in power, and until they are disbanded, or some of the 800,000 boneheads in this province that continually vote NDP no matter what move away, we are stuck.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

maryjane48 wrote:ll lets hope they suction most the l8bs votes to get rid of the clownshow known as bc libs , who i will add have a death on their hands

lets hope they suction votes from both parties, equally, so that we truly would have an alternative as both parties, libs and NDP, are needing to be given the heave ho.
Not afraid to say "It".
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

logicalview wrote:
If the threat of the evil NDP weren't there, I think people would vote for a different alternative in droves. But the threat is so real, and so terrible, due to the brain-washed NDP masses who either don't have jobs and are on welfare, or want to feed at the massive government trough the NDP provides to unions (hello BCTF, I'm looking at you) and other friends, that the chance just can't be taken to split the vote. The NDP truly is keeping the Liberals in power, and until they are disbanded, or some of the 800,000 boneheads in this province that continually vote NDP no matter what move away, we are stuck.

Yes it is sad that there are far to many brain dead ,brain washed Liberal boneheads who drink the cool aid that is displayed in this post,for them to support an alternative that better suits them.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________

Return to “B.C.”