GPS implants in high risk and prolific offenders?

mexi cali
Guru

GPS implants in high risk and prolific offenders?

Post by mexi cali »

The town of Williams Lake is contemplating pursuing this extreme method in order to try and curb violent and extreme crime levels in their community.

GPS implants would be surgically inserted into the arms of a select group as a means to minor their lives essentially.

Human rights aside (not that I am minimizing them) What do the rest of you think about this?

It will likely never fly but I think there is some merit to it. My thought is that at some point, habitual criminals with a high risk designation effectively forfeit their rights to be treated like the rest of the world so I like it but as I said, under the present system, it won't fly.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: GPS implants in high risk and prolific offenders?

Post by the truth »

I LOVE IT
SEX offenders and prolific offenders,drug dealers etc etc should have zero rights, at least having a gps implants in them we would know were they are at all times, if they go were they should not be,they get picked up asap no wear to hide and back to jail, safe to say lots of losers on here have a problem with this great idea
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Realistically, it would be a good idea. Especially for sex offenders. I think it would work well for crimes that hold life long consequences, like pedophiles. But I don't think it would work well for drug dealers as once someone is out of jail, and done their probation they are done their time. Also there are only certain offences that require area restriction, the others without wouldn't really benefit from this.

But if someone wanted the chip out, they could get it out. And it would require 24 hour staff to monitor how many different GPS'. Our government funded services are already so under funded, I doubt they will have the staff to monitor it all accurately.
hail Satan y'all
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

whatwhat wrote:Realistically, it would be a good idea. Especially for sex offenders. I think it would work well for crimes that hold life long consequences, like pedophiles. But I don't think it would work well for drug dealers as once someone is out of jail, and done their probation they are done their time. Also there are only certain offences that require area restriction, the others without wouldn't really benefit from this.

But if someone wanted the chip out, they could get it out. And it would require 24 hour staff to monitor how many different GPS'. Our government funded services are already so under funded, I doubt they will have the staff to monitor it all accurately.

Didn't mention drug dealers. They would not fit the model because as you say, once their sentence is done, they are done. I was very specific when I mentioned high risk and prolific offenders and while drugs are certainly an issue, it wouldn't fit the criteria here.

ANd taking the chip out yourself would be like removing an ankle bracelet; the cops would know immediately that you were trying to and that would be that. This is exactly the type of technology that frees up time because many can me monitored by few.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm wondering what would stop them from trying to remove the implant.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

GordonH wrote:I'm wondering what would stop them from trying to remove the implant.

Pain and jail.

Think of it like a tamper resistant ankle bracelet.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As long as they are tamper proof, is good enough for me.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Didn't mention drug dealers. They would not fit the model because as you say, once their sentence is done, they are done. I was very specific when I mentioned high risk and prolific offenders and while drugs are certainly an issue, it wouldn't fit the criteria here.

ANd taking the chip out yourself would be like removing an ankle bracelet; the cops would know immediately that you were trying to and that would be that. This is exactly the type of technology that frees up time because many can me monitored by few.

The reason I mentioned drug dealers was because thetruth had said to use them on them as well.

Well I guess if removing the chip would cause alarm to the police then that wouldn't be a problem. Not really sure how it would alert them though. With an ankle bracelet it is alert once the connection is cut. But a chip is just a chip. How would it know it is removed? The chip isn't connected to the body, so unless the chip itself was broken, wouldn't it still work whether in or out of the body?
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Ryan Horban, vice-president of sales for California-based Tracking Systems Direct, said people sometimes confuse GPS trackers with identification chips used in pets, but the two technologies are very different.

"I'm not familiar with anything like that. It's more like science fiction," he said in a telephone interview. GPS trackers send out data while microchips do not, he explained. To transmit a signal, he said long-term trackers need a power source and a battery worn on the body likely would not work.

"If you inject something, there's simply no power source," Horban added. - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/b-c-city-w ... G9GNG.dpuf

Well there's a major problem, apparently GPS micro chips don't even exist??
hail Satan y'all
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

take the extraordinary measure of injecting high-risk and prolific offenders with GPS tracking devices in order to curb a crime problem.

City council in Williams Lake has voted unanimously in favour of a motion to support tracking criminals' movements 24 hours a day by implanting microchips into their arms.

Coun. Scott Nelson says the technology can be purchased from a U.S. company and the city will seek federal and provincial approval to use the device on people designated high-risk or prolific offenders by the RCMP.

Nelson says a recent incident involving a man who stole a teen's bike at gunpoint in a local park highlights the need for strong action to help his community feel safer.

Williams Lake RCMP Insp. Milo MacDonald says he appreciates the city's efforts to tackle crime but he's not aware of any law that would allow officers to use the microchips.

Micheal Vonn of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association says the idea is a non-starter that the federal government would never approve it on constitutional grounds.

Top StoriesReport a Typocomments

Most of the article. iPads suck. This is where the story came from so according to this it appears as though the tech does exist and it makes sense to me. Pretty basic stuff in this era. As far as knowing if someone is attempting to remove it, the tech again is fairly basic in that the chip is designed to be sensitive to disruption.

Failing that, you could always hilti it to their forehead.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

GordonH wrote:I'm wondering what would stop them from trying to remove the implant.

Don't tell them where it's going... Put them out and install at any random location...maybe somewhere they wouldn't dare dig it out....lol
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I believe if they actually exist they would be perfect for many situations. There are many offenders out there who do not deserve rights. I am thinking with today's technologies they could somehow be set up to self monitor. The receiver could have set limitations and if the transmitter went out of that area or entered a restricted area there would be an immediate alarm. If they had reason to leave their safe zone they would have to contact someone and get permission. Anyway sounds real good to me.

EDIT TO ADD:

I know this will probably get a real reaction but I wonder if something like this could also be used for people with say alzheimer's.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

why not, , I am sure it is not always used for evil ,like some on here want us to believe

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#159423
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

They could dig it out of an arm - I seem to recall at least two movies, one where someone used a microwave to kill it and one where they dug it themselves (can't recall names). If they implant it deeper, say near a vital organ? Maybe it wouldn't be so easy to disable?
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “B.C.”