Hydro wants more money

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hydro wants more money

Post by dontrump »

I say reduce the totally outrageous wages they pay management and linemen workers
Line men make as much as 300K per year which is utterly ridiculous
lots of Doctors don't make that much money
The wage schedule at BC Hydro is ridiculous and totally out of line
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Do you have a wage scale showing line men making 300K a year or have you just heard that. I doubt they make anywhere near that unless they are management, and I still don't believe it. Maybe if they work a ton of overtime. I know when I was in the business we, construction electricians made more than Hydro electricians in any province I worked in but it wasn't as steady. They were never out of work for periods of time. We usually made a lot more because of our long hours on our jobs. I did a bit of checking and could not find a single line man in that category. I did not find their base salary and again they will probably receive danger pay for much of their work. I would be interested in seeing your figures.

EDIT TO ADD:

I had the advantage of not having to work on live high voltage lines like these men do. I have seen a man pretty well vaporized when he made a minor mistake. Investigated an accident where a man lost both hands and legs in a high voltage accident. They do deserve a good salary and danger pay.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

BC Hydro linemen go out on a sunday call and get triple time and they sit at the goldminers café in Cherryville and drink coffe and pig out

The BC hydro wages because their a crown corporation have the wages listed once a year in the Vancouver sun
The top 10 Hydro management whom do no to little work makes 3 million 730 K collectively per year plus expenses
heck just a lowly cable splicer makes 1/4 million
BC Hydro KOWAK, CA CABLE SPLICER SFMN/WMN, LM/VI T VICTORIA-WPL $235,268
Last edited by dontrump on Feb 28th, 2016, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Smurf wrote:Do you have a wage scale showing line men making 300K a year or have you just heard that. I doubt they make anywhere near that unless they are management, and I still don't believe it. Maybe if they work a ton of overtime.

That number does sound preposterous, but I have heard of some line men making some fantastic sums of money. Of course, the explanation for that is overtime and on-call emergency work. Hey, anyone jealous of the money these guys make should go back to school, get some education and training and quit whining about what other people make. Oh yeah, you'll also have to be willing to work long and hard hours, spend days and weeks away from family, and put your life at great risk as required.

As far as management salaries go, $300,000 is not really that far out of line. The CEOs of many Canadian companies make more money by the time they show up for work on the first day of the year than most Canadians will make in that entire year and the hard right puppies find no problem with that. Of course, when it comes to hypocrisy they own the label.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro REID, CW PRESIDENT & CEO, OFFICE OF PRES CEO $422,221 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro YURKOVICH, SL EXEC VP, SITE C, SITEC CONS PROJ DEF $421,355 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro MELCHIOR, DJ DIRECTOR, SITE C, SITEC CONS PROJ DEF $411,830 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro REIMER, GA EVP OF TRANS & DISTRBN, EXECUTIVE VP T&D $397,446 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro O'RILEY, CK EVP, GENERATION, GEN VICE-PRESIDENT $388,586 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro NAGLE, D SR VP & CHIEF HR OFFICER, CHIEF HR OFFICER $357,142 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro ALDEGUER, RA SR VP, CORP SERVICES & GEN CNSL, OFFSVP CPSVC & GNCSL $353,104 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro BARRETT, BA VP, T&D PROJECT & PROGRAM DELIVERY, T&D PRJ &PROG DEL VP $343,922 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro YAREMKO, CA EVP FINANCE & CFO, CFO $322,677 Details
2013/14 Fiscal Year BC Hydro HUANG, MW VP, GRID OPS, GRID OPERATIONS VP $321,432
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

So, the salary of BC Hydro exec is actually over $400,000. Here’s some more perspective …

By the time you finish lunch on Thursday, Canada's top paid CEOs will have already earned the equivalent of your annual salary.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/top-canad ... -1.2481494

The average salary in Canada (for a male) is around $55,000.

http://www.livingin-canada.com/work-sal ... anada.html

This puts the salary (including bonuses) of some Canadian CEOs at close to $20 million (50 times greater than BC Hydro exec). Obviously these are at the high end. The average CEO ?

In good times and in bad, Canada's top executives are seriously power lunching. By 12:18pm on January 4, the first official working day of the year, the country's top 100 CEOs have already pocketed $48,636 — what it takes most Canadians an entire year, working full-time, to earn.*

By the end of 2014, Canada’s top 100 CEOs had pocketed an average of $8.96 million.
At this rate, Canada’s 100 highest paid CEOs make 184 times more than the average Canadian worker.

- See more at: https://www.policyalternatives.ca/ceo#s ... YHD5O.dpuf
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bottom line BC HYDRO employees are dramatically overpaid take the 4% hydro wants out of wages not from other people
end of story
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

dontrump wrote:

BC Hydro linemen go out on a sunday call and get triple time and they sit at the goldminers café in Cherryville and drink coffe and pig out

Again I would ask where you found they get triple time for a normal call out. I have heard of triple time but not for a normal call out. Possibly on a stat holiday, I don't exactly know their contract. Do you know how many hours they have worked when they have a coffee or meal break, there are laws regarding that. Do you know if they were even being paid while they were sitting there. Do you know if they have a minimum of say 2 hours for a call out, something like that is very common. Give me an exact occurrence and I will comment on it. I deliberately worked large contracts, northern sites etc just to get in on that type of dollars the same as oilfield workers and many others. There are so many things you have to know to judge a situation.

dontrump » 11 minutes ago

bottom line BC HYDRO employees are dramatically overpaid take the 4% hydro wants out of wages not from other people
end of story

We all have our opinions and I for one don't agree. They are well paid I agree. I guess because I deliberately got myself into similar situations I do not see anything out of line. As Ka-EI said, go for it there are lots of jobs out there that pay that well, even in today's economy. A few years after I retired I was offered an opportunity to go to a job on my terms and never pick up a tool, basic start salary $120,000.00 plus vehicle and expenses and that was before overtime. Should be a few at site C if you get in the right spot. I used to like commissioning, often tons of overtime. Days, even weeks on steady double time, but not easy. Could have changed now.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

in private enterprize fine, but not government run/ owned organizations whom hold the public at ransom
there extremely extremely over weighted in all aspects of management and pay schedules
when you pay a hard hard working nurse or mill worker 30-40$ per hour its just plain wrong to pay a hydro worker
$222.00 per hour(or more)
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

dontrump are you saying the public workers who serve us don't deserve a real salary, they are basically our slaves? Are they for some reason less than someone else. Why do they deserve less than private industry or why do private industry deserve less than them.

madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

dontrump wrote:in private enterprize fine, but not government run/ owned organizations whom hold the public at ransom
there extremely extremely over weighted in all aspects of management and pay schedules
when you pay a hard hard working nurse or mill worker 30-40$ per hour its just plain wrong to pay a hydro worker
$222.00 per hour(or more)

What's wrong here is the Liberal government robbing hundreds of millions of dollars from BC Hydro coffers to balance the budget.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I think we say no this time. They need to focus on cutting costs and trimming the fat. I'm all for paying good wages but the compensation packages and perks at BC Hydro are ridiculous and we're the ones paying for it. Enough.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Without actually knowing anything about it I would think there is very possibly some fat to trim. Like Madmudder I believe the place to start is with the government keeping their hands out of it and let it control it's money. Then it would be able to better control it's rates.

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

JLives wrote:I think we say no this time. They need to focus on cutting costs and trimming the fat. I'm all for paying good wages but the compensation packages and perks at BC Hydro are ridiculous and we're the ones paying for it. Enough.

ahmen

Return to “B.C.”