Looking for a strict disciplinarian

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Looking for a strict disciplinarian

Post by Urbane »

Les Leyne, writing in the Times Colonist, says that the NDP has been hammering away at Liberal cabinet ministers for answering with talking points. He gives the following examples of NDP replies to various ministers:

"The minister has worn out her message box. It’s irrelevant and stale.” “He’s just moving to a new message box.” “The message box doesn’t cover this.”“She just reads from her message box and sometimes she reads her lines twice.”

The NDP has a point so what kind of communications director would they themselves want? Glad you asked because here's an excerpt, courtesy of Les Leyne, that the NDP posted in a want ad:

"The successful candidate is a strict message-box disciplinarian, who can explain values-based communication and knows how to develop and test messages.”

Ha ha ha ha ha . . .

Here's a bit of what Les Leyne has to say followed by a link to the full column:
The idea that the Opposition has its own set of message boxes isn’t exactly a revelation. Say “Site C dam” to any NDP MLA. They’ll recite “should be referred to the B.C. Utilities Commission” as if it’s a favourite Christmas carol.

Say “B.C. Ferries” and they’ll respond “should be part of the marine highway system.” Nobody knows what that means. But it’s comforting and familiar. It’s their message box, and it’s where they’re most at home.

“Liberals had enough money for a new B.C. Place roof, but not [insert urgent need here].” That one has been in common use for years.

They’re already pretty good at staying in their own message boxes, so it’s surprising the party needs a strict disciplinarian. The phrase conjures up images so vivid they can scarcely be described in a family newspaper.
- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/co ... Ghzxd.dpuf
logicalview
Guru

Re: Looking for a strict disciplinarian

Post by logicalview »

ha ha yeah my favorite message box from the last election "all of our spending increases have been fully costed and accounted for", and then when the NDP candidate was asked what that meant, all you got was blinking and then they would move on to the next message box. They had no idea what "fully costed and accounted for" meant, but were told that that was all they had to say. And they looked like giant idiots.
Not afraid to say "It".
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

logicalview wrote:ha ha yeah my favorite message box from the last election "all of our spending increases have been fully costed and accounted for", and then when the NDP candidate was asked what that meant, all you got was blinking and then they would move on to the next message box. They had no idea what "fully costed and accounted for" meant, but were told that that was all they had to say. And they looked like giant idiots.

What the NDP needs is not someone to help them stay "on message." They need to change the message itself.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Urbane wrote:What the NDP needs is not someone to help them stay "on message." They need to change the message itself.

Agreed. Time to think outside the message box down at NDP HQ.

I had a chat with Horgan. I like the guy. He's done well from meager beginnings, he's articulate and approachable and friendly.

I just don't know how the hell he got mixed up with that bunch of dopes in the NDP. I think he's afraid of the backlash if he were to suggest a new direction for the party, which is badly needed.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 2nd, 2016, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal insult.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Rwede wrote:
    Agreed. Time to think outside the message box down at NDP HQ.

I had a chat with Horgan. I like the guy. He's done well from meager beginnings, he's articulate and approachable and friendly.

I just don't know how the hell he got mixed up with that bunch of dopes in the NDP. I think he's afraid of the backlash if he were to suggest a new direction for the party, which is badly needed.

He's a big upgrade from Adrian Dix but as long as the NDP has the same old message it's going to be an uphill battle.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Looking for a strict disciplinari

Post by Leifer »

If they were to unhitched themselves from Organized labor and move closer to the center on the environment, development, and the economy....NDP landslide in the next election.
Allot of Lib voters would jump ship in a heartbeat for a *viable* alternative.
I am not saying anything new here....
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Horgan is a down-to-earth type and I believe he has a lot of support and respect from the party. He's got pretty solid first line people with him like Farnworth, James and Mungall who are certainly not intimidated by the ChristyLiberals. Why would he be 'afraid of a backlash' considering the fact that he quit his position and was petitioned to run for the leadership - and won? He obviously does not 'need' the job.

Who would lead this 'party backlash' and have the guts to proceed to the endpoint? Forget about Dix - he's really not relevant any more.
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote:Horgan is a down-to-earth type and I believe he has a lot of support and respect from the party. He's got pretty solid first line people with him like Farnworth, James and Mungall who are certainly not intimidated by the ChristyLiberals. Why would he be 'afraid of a backlash' considering the fact that he quit his position and was petitioned to run for the leadership - and won? He obviously does not 'need' the job.

Who would lead this 'party backlash' and have the guts to proceed to the endpoint? Forget about Dix - he's really not relevant any more.

Remember what happened to Carole James when she saw the writing on the wall and tried to inch toward more moderate politics?

The bloodstains were left on the NDP convention floor to remind anyone of their fate if they were to dare try a stunt like that again.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Kwan is gone. How many of these original 13 dissidents are left from that dismal time?
Chill
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

flamingfingers wrote:Kwan is gone. How many of these original 13 dissidents are left from that dismal time?

Here's a question then. Do you personally think the NDP will run a campaign much different than last time?

When the result is the same, do you think Horgans fate will be anything different than the last few who were blamed for simply having a party with an overall bad approach to governing.

Eventually you should look in the mirror and say "maybe it's me" and the BC Liberals winning again and again should really be that moment because that mirror tells you...."I'm worse than then....what am I doing wrong"

I don't think Alberta has helped the "we have moved to the center" campaign as the follow through was "ha ha just kidding"

I think they have to have a real platform based in reality, and backed up with facts and figures and not just a tag line "trust me it's costed"
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

flamingfingers wrote:Kwan is gone. How many of these original 13 dissidents are left from that dismal time?

It's the union brass running the show that determine who does what. I would expect there to be little to no change in allegiances. Kwan split the scene, but who else did? I too believe that Horgan would tread lightly around them, given what has happened in the past. Do you know how many are left, as you seem quite up on the day-to-day happenings at the NDP?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I too believe that Horgan would tread lightly around them, given what has happened in the past.

Why would Horgan 'tread lightly around them' given that he had already left the party at one time and was petitioned to come back as leader? This shows me that he has a majority of the party that are quite content to have him 'in charge' and considering the polls running high for the NDP in 2013 even with a rather limp Dix as leader I think the campaign coming up WILL be quite different from what we have seen before.

Your bugbear about the unions 'being in charge of the NDP' is a fallacy - the unions are not that strong in BC now, nor are they able to produce the kinds and amounts of donations that the ChristyLiberals can curry from corporate and moneyed entities who have enjoyed lucrative contracts from government.

However, with the constant scandals involving the ChristyLiberals these days, there will be abundant fodder for Horgan to use in the upcoming campaign.
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote:Your bugbear about the unions 'being in charge of the NDP' is a fallacy - the unions are not that strong in BC now, nor are they able to produce the kinds and amounts of donations that the ChristyLiberals can curry from corporate and moneyed entities who have enjoyed lucrative contracts from government.

The NDP's union brass candidates were a full 31% of the slate.

And donations? Completely contrary to what you stated about the level of support by party.

Unions dominate list of NDP’s biggest donors

snip

And of the 20 largest donors to the NDP, 13 are unions and just two — the Aquilini group of companies and Canadian Forest Products — are corporations. The rest are individuals who left the party money in their wills.

Reliance on deep pockets

In absolute dollar terms, the two lists are quite similar: in both cases, the party’s top 20 donors gave each party about $10 million combined.

But because the Liberals have been more successful fundraisers overall — raising more than $75 million over the past eight years compared with $40 million for the NDP — the NDP’s top donors make up a much greater share of their total funds.

Of all the money the NDP has raised over the past eight years, 25 per cent of it has come from just its top 20 biggest donors. In contrast, the Liberals’ top 20 donors make up just 13 per cent of its total.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Un ... z41xSN8OgA
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

You'd think all the staunch unionists on these forums they would own up to the fact that the NDP was formed by the unions for the unions, and quit trying to dance around the direct link between the NDP and unions.!
To think or to try and have others believe differently is utterly foolish.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45

Return to “B.C.”