FOI Request Cost to Taxpayers

slootman
Übergod

FOI Request Cost to Taxpayers

Post by slootman »

I'm starting a new thread even though this was touched on in another. I'm hoping this can be a non-partisan discussion..

So it turns out that the cost of FOI requests made by a single journalist have cost taxpayers $3.85 million. Given the current focus on controlling costs, we have a case where a very large bill has been given to taxpayers due to one person's activities, used in support of that person's job.

While its important to allow access to information, to what point should taxpayers be on the hook for funding such requests? Is excessive use of FOI requests by journalists something to be concerned about? Should there be limits on persons, businesses, or groups? What needs to change for this to be controlled?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: FOI Request Cost to Taxpayers

Post by maryjane48 »

the govt should be posting everything online . then the cost is no where near as much . people shouldnt have to make a request .
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I do know that many in the media have complained for years that it's much easier, faster, and cheaper to obtain FOI documents in Washington State than it is in B.C. The government should look for ways to streamline the process here even for those involved in fishing expeditions. We also need to remember that those who say things like, "Just post everything online" are on the wrong track. There are privacy laws. Again, the FOI law is actually called the "Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act."
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Is there a source clarifying what that cost refers to, and if i'ts BC , Federal or any other province.

Each has its own regulations, policies and a fee structure to recover some of the cost involved in FOI requests. In most cases, once information on an FOI request has been released, the information is also published online.

Regulations and fees are published along with process for submitting FOI requests. You can look up regulatory process and fees. . It's not always easy or cheap to get information on an FOI requests because requestor has to be quite specific and know what department or agency holds the information. A couple of links for more information on this:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gover ... oi-request

Fees:
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... #Schedule1
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

It costs money to retrieve triple-deleted emails that are on private servers that government officials use to get around FOI requests.

Elect more transparent officials and this won't be a problem.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I expect costs have less to do with retrieval than privacy screening. This is why posting everything would be more costly than the current system. I like the idea of streamlining, though even at half the cost it would still be possible for one person to rack up around a $2 million bill.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Democracy costs money.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:Democracy costs money.

so do partisan witch-hunts.
Not afraid to say "It".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It's important to note than most FOI requests are delivered redacted, significantly depending on the subject of the request. They couldn't possibly redact and post everything online for the same or lesser cost than doing so for specific subjects, as some subjects wouldn't have been requested in the first place.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

thanks for making my point . *removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Can someone remind me what FOI is, please.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/ ... e/96165_00
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “B.C.”