Christy Clark must hate disabled folks getting bus passes

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Christy clark must hate disabled folks getting bus pass

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:1) Independent = not group home
2) no doom & gloom just reality

Veovis wrote:Not true. There are many individuals that do not need a group home that do not live by themselves. It's been called pricare, homeshare,assisted, whatever term people want to change it too every couple years as someone has decided to get offended about whatever it was called.

So implying that if you aren't in a group home your are on your own isn't always the case, so yes you are making some doom and gloom statements that are not true.

Truly independent people have a very very tight budget, no question, not disagreeing with you at all. But the stats of completely independent, semi independent, group homes etc could shed light on what % are really in a tough spot if improvements are to be made, instead of the same old "All people with disabilities are hard done by", as some might live quite well, while others who actually work hard on top of lifes challenges get an even harder time from living arrangement complications.

Until we know more of those details a true evaluation for change cannot really happen and the bus pass issue doesn't even become a blip on the radar one way or the other in the real evaluation of what can be improved in the systems we have.

Let me clarify.
1 bedroom apartment, that has no wait lists.
http://classifieds.castanet.net/search/ ... y=&submit=
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

And that is a tough spot, I agree. Now what % of all people who qualify for the appropriate disability benefits fall into each type of category?

That is where some evaluation can be done I think for improvements.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Veovis wrote:And that is a tough spot, I agree. Now what % of all people who qualify for the appropriate disability benefits fall into each type of category?

That is where some evaluation can be done I think for improvements.

there is only one program in BC for disability status, PWD.

i would think that every person who is single on PWD would at one point or another be in need of stable, safe, affordable housing. that information would be kept track of through the ministry, who is single versus who is common law/married, and also who declares that they pay rent versus room and board, etc. as to what situation they are currently in/needs or at least be able to give some of that information.

i went from staying with a family member to group homes to living alone for a short time, back to living with a family member, then living with roommates, many years of which i required varies levels of support and needed different housing options which were not available to me. a lot of those situations were not healthy for me and caused more difficulties. it was incredibly discouraging and hard. i lived in uncertainty and fear for many of those years BECAUSE my living situations were not healthy/safe but had no other option...also because i didn't have the money to be on my own which is something that helps with my overall stability. it's also hard to be in a situation where you actually know what you need, but you aren't able to get it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

It's not like Christy really appreciates the financial state of the disabled in BC:
Attachments
Premier salary.JPG
Chill
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

mysideofthings wrote:i went from staying with a family member to group homes to living alone for a short time, back to living with a family member, then living with roommates, many years of which i required varies levels of support and needed different housing options which were not available to me. a lot of those situations were not healthy for me and caused more difficulties. it was incredibly discouraging and hard. i lived in uncertainty and fear for many of those years BECAUSE my living situations were not healthy/safe but had no other option...also because i didn't have the money to be on my own which is something that helps with my overall stability. it's also hard to be in a situation where you actually know what you need, but you aren't able to get it.

I assume you looked at CLBC and applied for any possible assistance they provide? PWD is NOT the only route of assistance in BC and Canada. Many people often don't know of the options or don't bother either. Perhaps you didn't qualify under CLBC rules, that isn't my point. My point is many people with disabilities are assisted by CLBC and get the PWD cheque. There isn't only one thing only and the misinformation that there isn't anything else anywhere isn't good.

I understand the true "on my own with only the PWD" struggles. It is a hard hard place, but that doesn't cover all individuals with disabilities as a situation.

The breakdown of the %'s is what I am curious about, and what government should be looking at as if you want to help, you need a better overall picture, not a department by department view of similar issues that none address fully but all might be able to together.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Veovis wrote:
I assume you looked at CLBC and applied for any possible assistance they provide? PWD is NOT the only route of assistance in BC and Canada. Many people often don't know of the options or don't bother either. Perhaps you didn't qualify under CLBC rules, that isn't my point. My point is many people with disabilities are assisted by CLBC and get the PWD cheque. There isn't only one thing only and the misinformation that there isn't anything else anywhere isn't good.

from my understanding, CLBC is only for people with a developmental disability; I do not have a developmental disability. for people without one, they generally either qualify for PWD which is provincial or CPP which is federal, so i am aware of what financial options there are. i'm not here to debate that. the topic is on PWD though specifically.

I understand the true "on my own with only the PWD" struggles. It is a hard hard place, but that doesn't cover all individuals with disabilities as a situation.

again, the topic is about people on PWD.

The breakdown of the %'s is what I am curious about, and what government should be looking at as if you want to help, you need a better overall picture, not a department by department view of similar issues that none address fully but all might be able to together.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

I just read this article. I'm sorry, but why does this lady have a cell phone for $100 per month if she can't afford anything else? My cell phone plan is $30 per month. She would have $70 leftover for other expenses. A landline would cost less also. Is an expensive cell phone a necessity?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

23 year old women on disability says quote: I can pay for a cellphone, which is about $100

I wonder really just how disabled she is? but that aside I have a good cellphone plan that costs 32$ PM
I make about 200K per year. young people have a terrible sense of entitlement these days
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

don trump wrote:23 year old women on disability says quote: I can pay for a cellphone, which is about $100

I wonder really just how disabled she is? but that aside I have a good cellphone plan that costs 32$ PM
I make about 200K per year. young people have a terrible sense of entitlement these days

If she does not have a computer, smartphone with data plan can be $70+ (not including taxes)

Added: majority of young people don't have landlines
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

There is free internet everywhere now. Any mall, McDonald's, Tim Hortons, the library, etc, has free internet access. I don't want to appear insensitive, but any persons qualified to collect welfare or disability should be subject to a mandatory course in how to budget and learn what is a need vs a want.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol who offers 30 dollar a month phone plans?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Chimera wrote:There is free internet everywhere now. Any mall, McDonald's, Tim Hortons, the library, etc, has free internet access. I don't want to appear insensitive, but any persons qualified to collect welfare or disability should be subject to a mandatory course in how to budget and learn what is a need vs a want.

Well, with grand total of $906 to live on each month, that is under half what a full-time minimum wage earner receives per month.
Oh yes free internet does not cover where they live.

Wonder what the poverty line is in Vernon area, if this is below (which it is) what then Big time Shame on BC Government.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

There is free internet everywhere now. Any mall, McDonald's, Tim Hortons, the library, etc, has free internet access. I don't want to appear insensitive, but any persons qualified to collect welfare or disability should be subject to a mandatory course in how to budget and learn what is a need vs a want.
i thought canada was free country, you know minimum govt interference.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

If she does not have a computer, smartphone with data plan can be $70+ (not including taxes)

Added: majority of young people don't have landlines

[/quote]

shes on frigging welfare what part of that did u miss.She can go to a public library if shes needs internet

Return to “B.C.”