Kamloops Parking

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Kamloops Parking

Post by Ken7 »

I was to Kamloops today and had to comment on their parking system! Wow, way to go.

You walk about four vehicle lengths from your vehicle, you punch in your licence plate, you pay and it tells you your time and then prints you a receipt. The receipt indicates the time of parking, the amount paid, and the end of your time.

What was so cool was now your sitting having lunch and your time is on it's way out. Step out, walk tree or four vehicle length away, and add to you parking at that location which in my case was five blocks away.

Why is this system not in all cities? Very functional.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Kamloops Parking

Post by GordonH »

^^^ 3hrs parking, after that vehicle must be moved.
http://www.kamloops.ca/bylaws/parkingrates.shtml
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

GordonH wrote:^^^ 3hrs parking, after that vehicle must be moved.
http://www.kamloops.ca/bylaws/parkingrates.shtml

I missed the 3 hr parking rule, was only there parked fro two, but I like the concept of being able to renew your parking pass.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Vancouver is way ahead of Kamloops, you pay with an app on your phone. Not sure where else this system is used but I like it, hope it gets adopted here in Kelowna.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

django wrote:Vancouver is way ahead of Kamloops, you pay with an app on your phone. Not sure where else this system is used but I like it, hope it gets adopted here in Kelowna.

I might have trouble with my flip-phone with no app..lol
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Yes. It's convenient. But there are some things that I dislike about the new parking system. If I wanted grab a sandwich from Erwin's Bakery, I could quickly toss a quarter in the old style meter and run in. Way faster than walking over to the machine, punching in my plate number, waiting for a receipt to print.... Especially if I'm only going to be 5 minutes. Sometimes you can pull up to the old style meter and find that there is still time left from the previous person. Now it doesn't matter if someone paid for that extra time, you have to pay anyway. Extra money for the city. Because of these new meters, I very rarely go downtown anymore.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

And to add to RustyCrayon, with the plate number on the slip you
cannot hand off your slip, with time left, off to the next person waiting
to park or just going to purchase a slip.

I too prefer just dropping a coin or two in a meter, not a $1.25 or $1.50 min. charge
when all you may be is a few minutes

I miss the days of being able to drop a nickel or dime
Now you'd be lucky to find one that would accept anything less than a loonie.

I cannot fathom how pay parking would even sustain itself.
With the hundreds of thousands of $$$$$'s invested in the equipment.
The installation and maintenance of the equipment, signage to post all
the rules and regulations and machine locations, then paying for all
the vehicles and employees to monitor compliance.

Seems kind of counter-productive...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

dirtybiker wrote:And to add to RustyCrayon, with the plate number on the slip you
cannot hand off your slip, with time left, off to the next person waiting
to park or just going to purchase a slip.

I too prefer just dropping a coin or two in a meter, not a $1.25 or $1.50 min. charge
when all you may be is a few minutes

I miss the days of being able to drop a nickel or dime
Now you'd be lucky to find one that would accept anything less than a loonie.

I cannot fathom how pay parking would even sustain itself.
With the hundreds of thousands of $$$$$'s invested in the equipment.
The installation and maintenance of the equipment, signage to post all
the rules and regulations and machine locations, then paying for all
the vehicles and employees to monitor compliance.

Seems kind of counter-productive...

Impark appears to be very well for itself and its owner Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'd like to see the Kamloops system at airports...never fails plane late and there you go. Would be nice to walk over to a terminal and upload 20 more minutes if possible.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

RustyCrayon wrote:Yes. It's convenient. But there are some things that I dislike about the new parking system. If I wanted grab a sandwich from Erwin's Bakery, I could quickly toss a quarter in the old style meter and run in. Way faster than walking over to the machine, punching in my plate number, waiting for a receipt to print.... Especially if I'm only going to be 5 minutes. Sometimes you can pull up to the old style meter and find that there is still time left from the previous person. Now it doesn't matter if someone paid for that extra time, you have to pay anyway. Extra money for the city. Because of these new meters, I very rarely go downtown anymore.

What you can do with the new system is pay for exact or close to exact time, so there would be little to no time left over.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “B.C.”