Premier Clark makes history

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Premier Clark makes history

Post by Urbane »

Regardless of your political leanings I'm sure you'll want to congratulate Christy Clark on becoming the longest serving female first minister in the history of Canada. She took over the leadership of the LIberal Party at a difficult time and many predicted she'd be a caretaker only until losing the next election in the same way that Rita Johnston and Kim Campbell were.

But she proved the critics wrong, many critics on here in fact, who said that she couldn't win. They said that the Adrian Dix led NDP were a shoo-in. So here she is about to become the longest serving female first minister in history. Congratulations for that achievement Premier Clark.

B.C. Premier Christy Clark will make Canadian political history this week.

On Wednesday, she’ll become the longest serving female first minister in Canadian history at five years and two days, when she’ll take the title from former Nunavut premier Eva Aariak.

She celebrates her five-year milestone today.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#160700
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Primier Clark makes history

Post by Atomoa »

Funny that the LNG trainwreck, triple deletion of emails, the TFW issue and childhood poverty rates in this province are not relevant to this discussion at all. We're not judging politician on what they do. We're congratulating them on having a female sexual reproductive system.

This is 2016 (as per Justin Trudeau) and we are all equal. What the hell does gender have to do with anything?

I care about results not about which washroom you use.

If it's sexist one way, then it's just as sexist when played in reverse.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Atomoa wrote:This is 2016 (as per Justin Trudeau) and we are all equal. What the hell does genderhave to do with anything?

It's still male dominated world, and any woman who can do what she did deserve recognition. Perhaps she will serve as an example to all women who are passionate about politics and working for the gov't. Just like Obama became the first black president and served as an example that is possible for black people to reach the top (outside of professional sports).
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Premier Clark makes history

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:It's still male dominated world.

The late Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton would disagree with you. This is 2016, not 1975.

If you start from a position of women are lesser people, then yes - it's a great accomplishment for Christy Clark. I start with the position of "everyone is equal".

Nobody suggested during Christie's election or her time in office that her female gender was impairing her abilities to govern. To do so would be sexist. To suggest that she overcame a obstacle of some sort due to her gender is moot.
Last edited by Atomoa on Mar 14th, 2016, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Atomoa wrote:
This is 2016 (as per Justin Trudeau) and we are all equal. What the hell does gender have to do with anything?

So then you disagree with Justin's rigid rules that only 50% of his cabinet could have a penis, despite experience and qualifications? Really?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Atomoa wrote:The late Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton would disagree with you. This is 2016, not 1975.

Not really. The ration between men and women in politics is quite skewed (my guess is 7.5 to 2.5). I'm sure if were to ask Hilary if she thinks more women should be empowered to get involved in politics she'd agree.

If you start from a position of women are lesser people

Uh...what? Where did I say that women are lesser people?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:Not really. The ration between men and women in politics is quite skewed (my guess is 7.5 to 2.5). I'm sure if were to ask Hilary if she thinks more women should be empowered to get involved in politics she'd agree.

Women make career choices not out of sexist obstacles. Women chose not to study hard sciences and engineering not because they are hindered and obstructed from doing so. They choose not to because it doesn't interest them.

Men and women have different traits. We've been doing nothing but encouraging women to get into politics, the trades, hard labour, tree falling, underwater welding. We pay their tuition and give them special programs to try and encourage it and we have been doing so for the last 20+ years. People make their own choices though.

I didnt say you said that women are lesser people. I said that if you think that a women being in politics is "special" then you must think a women is somehow lesser of a person instead of a equal contender. There are no barriers stopping a women from running for a political position aside from a woman's own desires to pursue it or not.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The Green Barbarian wrote:So then you disagree with Justin's rigid rules that only 50% of his cabinet could have a penis, despite experience and qualifications? Really?

Yes. I disagreed with the fact that people were hired based on their gender and not on their skills. If it was truly "2016" as Justin suggested then skills are what should matter. Like I said, if we are all equal then we are all equal.

I can and do disagree with political leaders across the spectrum ;)

- Buckminster Fuller
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

There are lots of things not to like about Christy Clark and the current government and many of us desperately would like to see a viable alternative. However, she's the longest serving female first minister in the history of the country. She took over at a very difficult time and won an election that her critics, and even many of her supporters, said was un-winnable. So credit where credit is due.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Atomoa wrote:There are no barriers stopping a women from running for a political position aside from a woman's own desires to pursue it or not.

That would be naive to think.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

She took over at a very difficult time and won an election that her critics, and even many of her supporters, said was un-winnable.

She lost her own riding.

She was parachuted into the West Kelowna riding after re-vote and buying-off a local MLA.

Do you really want to go down that road?

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:That would be naive to think.

Provide some sexist hit-articles posted in The Province, The Vancouver Sun and Global during her campaign and during her time in office suggesting that she shouldn't run or hold office due to her gender and I'll continue this discussion with you.

If you are going to use "The patriarchy" as a example, provide examples.

- Buckminster Fuller
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I cannot believe ANYONE would give accolades to this uneducated "freeloader". She has earned NOTHING. The only reason she is Premier is because no one else in this B.C. Liberal Party wants it or has the guts to take it on or just too plain lazy and willing to sit back and collect maximum for minimum effort.. She is ALL ABOUT HERSELF, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, ALWAYS WILL. Cannot win her own riding and needs to be "planted" to retain ANY position in B.C. politics. A self-serving loser from the word GO. West Kelowna........you want it.......choke on it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Atomoa wrote:
Yes. I disagreed with the fact that people were hired based on their gender and not on their skills.

Really! And yet I saw other Shiny Pony advocates trumpeting this triumph of the politically correct over those who stated that experience and skill should matter. I am shocked I say. Shocked.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I don't think you'll find any articles suggesting that women shouldn't run for office but the fact is that the US has never had a female president. Canada has had only one female prime minister and she was in office for less than a year. There have been a small number of female premiers and in two days Christy Clark will be the longest serving female first minister. Whether or not you agree with her policies her longevity seems worthy of note and if she wins next year's election her longevity will be even more impressive.

I cannot believe ANYONE would give accolades to this uneducated "freeloader". She has earned NOTHING. The only reason she is Premier is because no one else in this B.C. Liberal Party wants it or has the guts to take it on or just too plain lazy and willing to sit back and collect maximum for minimum effort.. She is ALL ABOUT HERSELF, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, ALWAYS WILL. Cannot win her own riding and needs to be "planted" to retain ANY position in B.C. politics. A self-serving loser from the word GO. West Kelowna........you want it.......choke on it.

Well, if she's the only one who has the guts and the only one who isn't too lazy I guess she deserves even more credit than I was giving her.

Return to “B.C.”