Iker gone, new BCTF stooge takes over

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Iker gone, new BCTF stooge takes over

Post by The Green Barbarian »

It appears that the BCTF is punting one bozo and electing another today. Same old same old it appears. No one is even challenging for the spot as the BCTF just hands over the reins of power to yet another BCTF lifer stooge.

This part of the Castanet story caught my eye:

About 700 teachers at the union's annual general meeting in Vancouver will take part in this afternoon's voting, which will also select the rest of the BCTF executive.

I guess it really doesn't matter as the election is a useless endeavor given no one is challenging the hand-picked BCTF dinosaur, but aren't there thousands of teachers in BC? Why do only 700 of these thousands get to vote for their leader? Who elects the 700? And how much intimidation was put on people not to run against the incoming dinosaur? Sounds pretty crappy, but par for the course with the morally bankrupt BCTF.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Iker gone, new BCTF stooge takes over

Post by Muzza »

I guess it really doesn't matter as the election is a useless endeavor given no one is challenging the hand-picked BCTF dinosaur, but aren't there thousands of teachers in BC? Why do only 700 of these thousands get to vote for their leader? Who elects the 700? And how much intimidation was put on people not to run against the incoming dinosaur? Sounds pretty crappy, but par for the course with the morally bankrupt BCTF.

According to my teacher friends, the vast majority of teachers just want to teach and hate the politics that goes along with the BCTF. The people who tend to be elected reps are the ones that volunteer. Again, this is from teachers, not me, (so don't slag me for repeating what teachers tell me) most of the reps are the politicized ones who want to look important, because they are crappy teachers.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

well posted
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

So the mullet is stepping down, and normally getting rid of someone such as the mullet would be a good thing.
In this case not so much as the corruption runs rampant in BCTF land.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

And there he is, cuddled up to Rob Fleming of the NDP.

Looks like more of the same stoogery in the BCTF.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

So after the NDP is horribly embarrassed by the back-room deal done by Glen Clark and Adrian Dix in 1998, the BTCF is still not even trying to hide the illicit relationship between themselves and the idiot NDP? Really? Talk about zero political acumen whatsoever. After the gross and disgusting display of Clark and Dix you would think that these two entities would at least try to pretend that they aren't in bed together. I guess when you lose 4 elections in a row and know you have zero hope of winning any elections in the forseeable future you just give up pretending and let it all hang out. Disgusting.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Imo BCTF should have actual election with a number of candidates, each teacher in BC should vote for their choice.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Patti Bacchus ‎@pattibacchus
Congratulations to incoming #BCTF president, tireless public education & social justice advocate @glenhansman #BCTF2016 #bced

Social justice advocate. Oh boy.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Patti Bacchus ‎@pattibacchus
Congratulations to incoming #BCTF president, tireless public education & social justice advocate @glenhansman #BCTF2016 #bced

Shouldn't teachers desire a teachers advocate, not personal non related activities for their dues?
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Veovis wrote:Shouldn't teachers desire a teachers advocate, not personal non related activities for their dues?

If teachers could actually vote for the BCTF executive, that might happen. Unfortunately, they end up being represented by those who are usually the most radical at their convention, and complete stooges lap up the plush positions on the executive. Most teachers are disinterested in the politics of the BCTF, and the radical shit-disturbers end up being the voting delegates. That's too bad, but in a way, I can't blame them for throwing in the towel on the union "establishment." It must be exhausting to hear that BCTF union BS all the time.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Gone_Fishin wrote:If teachers could actually vote for the BCTF executive, that might happen. Unfortunately, they end up being represented by those who are usually the most radical at their convention, and complete stooges lap up the plush positions on the executive. Most teachers are disinterested in the politics of the BCTF, and the radical shit-disturbers end up being the voting delegates. That's too bad, but in a way, I can't blame them for throwing in the towel on the union "establishment." It must be exhausting to hear that BCTF union BS all the time.

There is a massive problem with that though. Voter turn out would be terrible, and re-justify the system they already have. This is for a simple reason. The bulk of teachers want to be that....teachers. They work hard at being that and most of them deserve great respect for it. However the union they trust is run by the bottom rung of the profession who have little concern for actual education and a lot of concern for a large bank account each year to spend on private projects, whether anything is left come negotiation time matters not, at that time they rely on the trust that still exists for some reason and the continued war against the evil government.

It has become a political group, not a teachers advocate. I have been amazed by almost all of my kids teachers and I feel bad for the war they have been thrust into for all these years.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Veovis wrote:
There is a massive problem with that though. Voter turn out would be terrible, and re-justify the system they already have. This is for a simple reason. The bulk of teachers want to be that....teachers. They work hard at being that and most of them deserve great respect for it. However the union they trust is run by the bottom rung of the profession who have little concern for actual education and a lot of concern for a large bank account each year to spend on private projects, whether anything is left come negotiation time matters not, at that time they rely on the trust that still exists for some reason and the continued war against the evil government.

It has become a political group, not a teachers advocate. I have been amazed by almost all of my kids teachers and I feel bad for the war they have been thrust into for all these years.
The teachers need to take an interest in who is representing them period.!
These are supposed highly educated professionals and for them to sit idly by and watch a radical wing nut group such as the BCTF drag them down by association is unacceptable.
Time for the teachers to take a stand and be heard, unless of course they believe in the BCTF and the political affiliations it has and the radicals they are in bed with.
Time to stop with the excuses and do something about their image and the publics perception unless again they stand united behind the BCTF.
Teachers are the BCTF and unless they demand change and become pro active in the change then they will continue to be guilty by association.

There is no excuse for these professional teachers to allow this to continue and with a bit of effort could change it.
I have a funny feeling though that deep down teachers are satisfied with the BCTF on a whole and enjoy reaping the benefits of their corruption .
The only way teachers could prove anything different is to do something about it, but until then they will be seen as one and the same.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Gone_Fishin wrote:Patti Bacchus ‎@pattibacchus

"Social justice advocate". Oh barf. How about be an advocate for kids, parents and teachers, not an advocate for spaced out idiotic failed leftist crap. Just pathetic.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I disagree. I think the BCTF should only advocate for teachers.

Parents should advocate for themselves and their children.

Over the past couple of decades, parents who tried to mobilize and re-empower parents were supported by the the government through PAC funding, school council models which tried to give parents a voice, working with teachers and school administrators in a non-adversarial approach that's actually focussed on improving education in BC.

But it's easier for the majority of parents to abdicate that responsibility. Most parents don't even recognize that the BCTF is a political body that's in it for the BCTF, that their focus is social activism which is essentially politics. They think their classroom teachers "are" the BCTF, and they know that most of their classroom teachers do care about their kids and about education.

Because they don't differentiate, most parents never question the BCTF messaging (we're here to save your children's education in the face of an evil government that doesn't care about your kids). Parent's don't question why an entirely political, social activist organization is presenting themselves as their children's best hope, because it's easier than stepping up to the plate themselves.

And the BCTF uses that to their advantage, every time they go to battle. It empowers the BCTF to continue building up their political wing.

Teachers allow it, parents allow it, the taxpayers and voters of BC allow it every time we suggest the BCTF should advocate for children, or pretend that they will.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:I disagree. I think the BCTF should only advocate for teachers.

Parents should advocate for themselves and their children.

Yes, you make good points. Fair enough.

Return to “B.C.”