goalie
Übergod

Family of 7 for Revelstoke

Post by goalie »

Veovis
Guru

Re: Family of 7 for Revelstoke

Post by Veovis »

Hope so. From the description they are a most deserving family to receive a new chance in a far better place. I completely understand the ESL improvements and the consideration of raising money for a second family to help lesson isolation issues.

I also hope the family looks at this fresh start as such and not just a new place to do the same things. Meet new people, learn new skills, do new jobs, heck try skiing, become a Canadian, not just a refugee.

Wish the best for it all.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I hope they do well.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

No kidding. I have friends there...one kid, she's a server, he works at the ski hill in the winter and the oil patch in the off season (probably not so much anymore). It tough enough finding meaningful work and affordable housing for a small family. I can't imagine the costs of such a large family with so few well paying jobs.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Yea i'm not sure what the Canadian Govt is thinking placing people into depressed towns like Revelstoke.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

goalie wrote:Yea i'm not sure what the Canadian Govt is thinking placing people into depressed towns like Revelstoke.

I guess if people don't know any better it's the land of opportunity! But point taken. If these organizations are footing the bills for yhr first year, why not look at places with more affordable housing and better job opportunities looking past that first year? Settling a family somewhere because of good programs for the kids only solves a tiny piece of the overall puzzle. Unfortunately it'll probably be a rude awakening for many when they realize the situation their in down the road. World's better than where they're coming from no doubt about that. But unfair to set them up with a life that won't be easy to maintain once the funding fades away.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

goalie wrote:Yea i'm not sure what the Canadian Govt is thinking placing people into depressed towns like Revelstoke.

Revelstoke is far from a depressed town, you make me laugh at that statement, are you from Revelstoke? Were you raised there?

I wish nothing but the best for these new people coming into Revelstoke, they will love it.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I wish it was one of the more needy real Canadian familys being looked after rather than other countrys problems
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

dontrump wrote:I wish it was one of the more needy real Canadian familys being looked after rather than other countrys problems

Since you are neither I supposed you will never know how it feels.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Since you are neither I supposed you will never know how it feels.

Iam pretty sure you completely missed my point
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

dontrump wrote:I wish it was one of the more needy real Canadian familys being looked after rather than other countrys problems

Why does it have to one or the other? Are there many Canadian families who have had their home, town and country blown up in a civil war?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Why does it have to one or the other? Are there many Canadian families who have had their home, town and country blown up in a civil war?

Totally irrelevant in my opinion as there are just too many people in this country that ought to be given decent housing and living subsidys that are simply not receiving such.When those actual canadians are all looked after then maybe we can roll out the red carpet for the poor Syrians and there $800 iphones they all seem to possess
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

dontrump wrote:Totally irrelevant in my opinion as there are just too many people in this country that ought to be given decent housing and living subsidys that are simply not receiving such.When those actual canadians are all looked after then maybe we can roll out the red carpet for the poor Syrians and there $800 iphones they all seem to possess

LOL. But once people start advocating for the people in Canada who need help, all the conservatives come running to tell them they should just go get a job. Stop with your fake empathy.
hail Satan y'all
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Small towns continue to lose population to the big cities, and things could get even more one-sided with the federal budget expected to pour huge money into Canada's big cities. Immigration to the smaller towns might just be the solution to reversing this trend.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”