Why is the BC Gov killing off our wood processing mills?

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Why is the BC Gov killing off our wood processing mills?

Post by flamingfingers »

B.C. raw log exports double as local mills go without
NDP says government ignoring advice of its own advisory committee
The Canadian Press Posted: Mar 14, 2012 6:12 AM PT Last Updated: Mar 14, 2012 11:42 AM PT

The number of raw logs exported from B.C. has doubled in the last two years.
The number of raw logs exported from B.C. has doubled in the last two years. (Jeff Bassett/Canadian Press)

B.C. mill saved in 11th-hour deal
B.C. mill to reopen with new owner
B.C.'s Opposition New Democrats say the governing Liberals are shipping raw logs out of the province even while local processing mills are scrambling for timber.

NDP Leader Adrian Dix said Tuesday that Forests Minister Steve Thomson allowed raw log exports to increase, even though a government advisory committee decreed they should be sold locally.

He said Thomson overruled the government's Timber Export Advisory Committee after it directed that logs being considered for export should instead be sold to independent manufacturer Teal Jones of Surrey, B.C.

'More B.C. mills will be gone if this level of raw log exports continues.'
—B.C. NDP MLA Bill Routley, quoting mill managers

Thomson said the logs were approved for export due to cost issues associated with the calculations over the local cost of the logs.

He said the advisory committee did not factor in the cost of shipping the logs from Vancouver Island to the Lower Mainland in the final price evaluation of the timber.

Dix says Thomson's decision to overrule the government's own advisory committee adds to the government's problematic record numbers of raw log exports and the loss of B.C. forest jobs.

Recent statistics show the government exported a record 5.5 million cubic metres of raw logs last year, more than double the amount sent out of the province two years ago.

Dix said B.C. law stipulates that only logs deemed to exceed provincial needs are permissible for export.

Read the rest:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.1175100

Sad to see our great forest industry decimated.
Chill
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Why is the BC Gov killing off our wood processing mills?

Post by Gilchy »

Cheaper to move logs from point A to port than it is to move logs from point A to mill at point B to move lumber to port.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Yes, it also means less jobs, less spin-off economic benefits and less tax revenue.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Back in the day, the BC Forestry Industry provided $.50 of every dollar that the BC gained in revenue....
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby flamingfingers » Today, 7:17 pm

Back in the day, the BC Forestry Industry provided $.50 of every dollar that the BC gained in revenue....

Don't believe everything that you think!

Rather contradictory comment.

Aside from that, processing lumber into finished products in Canada has simply become too expensive as compared to other countries. Not much sense processing it if we can not sell the finished product. I think you will find that even NAFTA rates are far different for processed as opposed to unprocessed lumber.

Any product is worth what you can get for it, providing someone wants to buy it at your price as opposed to buying it from elsewhere.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So, an article from 2012, cleverly dated March 14th.

C'mon FF, you can do better than that, can't you?

flamingfingers wrote:B.C. raw log exports double as local mills go without
NDP says government ignoring advice of its own advisory committee
The Canadian Press Posted: Mar 14, 2012 6:12 AM PT Last Updated: Mar 14, 2012 11:42 AM PT

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Rwede wrote:So, an article from 2012, cleverly dated March 14th.

[b]C'mon FF, you can do better than that, can't you?
]
I think you may have to high of expectations for her.!
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:Aside from that, processing lumber into finished products in Canada has simply become too expensive as compared to other countries. Not much sense processing it if we can not sell the finished product. I think you will find that even NAFTA rates are far different for processed as opposed to unprocessed lumber.

Any product is worth what you can get for it, providing someone wants to buy it at your price as opposed to buying it from elsewhere.

Can you please tell me which lumber supply yard is selling Chinese produced dimensional lumber cut from BC raw logs at a cheaper rate than domestically produced dimensional lumber ? I need a good deal on three lifts of 8' 2x6 2&BTR SPF for a little spring project.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote: Not much sense processing it if we can not sell the finished product.

My son in law is a foreman at a little mill on highway 16 west. They cut over a million feet per shift and can't keep up with demand for the product, especially since the CDN dollar dived.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “B.C.”