Hire a person facing criminal charges? YES, say BC Libs

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Hire a person facing criminal charges? YES, say BC Libs

Post by flamingfingers »

Along with hiring the failed HarperCon kids in short pants and a bunch of failed Prentice Cons from Alberta, who does the BC ChristyLiberal Party welcome back into the fold?

Libs rehire charged staffer

Miller and David Livingston, who were deputy and chief of staff respectively, face charges of breach of trust and mischief and their case is now working its way through the courts.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#161059
Chill
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hire a person facing criminal charges? YES, say BC Libs

Post by erinmore3775 »

"Laura Miller will return to her former position as B.C. Liberal Party executive director, despite the criminal charges against her in Ontario. Miller resigned her position in December, after being charged with breach of trust, mischief and misuse of a computer system to commit mischief.The charges stem from an investigation into the destruction of documents related to cancelled gas plants in Ontario during the Dalton McGuinty administration."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/laura-miller-bc-liberals-1.3496564

While I must admit that the optics of this move is not the best, in all fairness Ms Miller has not been found guilty of any charges. Therefore under Canadian law, she is innocent until proved guilty. She also has a right to earn a living. Premier Clark believes Ms Miller so important to the BC Liberal Political Party that she must be allowed to return to her position, after her resignation in December.

"Laura has been working with her legal counsel to mount a vigorous and successful defense," White explains in the statement. "She is now in a position to step back into her role. Premier Christy Clark says she supports the decision to bring Miller back."It's the fair and right approach," Clark said in a statement. "One that respects our court process, including the fundamental principle that every person is innocent unless proven otherwise."

In my career I have had to argue both sides of this type of arguement, but never over an employee that has resigned. Unless Miller's "time-off" was a leave of absence and not a resignation, I really must question the ethical values of the Premier and the judgement and workplace standards exemplified by BC Provincial Liberal Party President White in rehiring this person. I must agree with NDP Leader Horgan, that Miller is not the type of person you would want on your political staff unless you wanted someone with a resume higlight of "ability to make large amounts of politically sensitive or illegal data disappear before a subpeona is executed."
Last edited by erinmore3775 on Mar 17th, 2016, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Since I do not know the circumstances or the evidence to be presented I think it would be wonderful if it had never happened but given that it did happen, in Canada being charged with an offense is not reason to fire anyone. All organizations wrestle with the problem every time it arises; should they take punitive civil action before the person is found guilty of anything or should they accept the uncomfortable position that everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

The fact that some evidence given by the "suspect" in a civil hearing can be used as evidence against them during a criminal trial. That even though no person is required to give evidence against their own interest.

With a few exceptions firing the person is another example of theory vs reality.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

erinmore3775 wrote: I must agree with NDP Leader Horgan, that Miller is not the type of person you would want on your political staff unless you wanted someone with a resume higlight of "ability to make large amounts of politically sensitive or illegal data disappear before a subpeona is executed."

^^^ exactly 10/10
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:Since I do not know the circumstances or the evidence to be presented I think it would be wonderful if it had never happened but given that it did happen, in Canada being charged with an offense is not reason to fire anyone.

Laura Miller was not fired from her position with the BC liberals, she resigned after being charged with a serious criminal offence involving her previous employment with the Ontario liberals..

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... nt-scandal

If Ms Miller is eventually found to be guilty of the Ontario charges, the BC liberal executive including Ms Clark are going to look pretty stupid..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Hurtlander wrote:
If Ms Miller is eventually found to be guilty of the Ontario charges, the BC liberal executive including Ms Clark are going to look pretty stupid..

Stupid is letting them off too easy. The woman is apparently a document deleter , which screams corrupt to me , which tells me she fits in just fine with the BC Liberal Party.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Liberals have no shame, do they?

Just look at the mess they have with corruption in Quebec and the slew of arrests of Liberal politicians. Now some of those have been shown to be deeply tied to the JustinLiberals. Christy is a member of the JustinLiberals.

This Laura Miller worked for the McGuintyLiberals and was charged for corruption there.

Sadly, Christy, who is a federal Liberal, has chosen to rehire a corrupt McGuintyLiberal.

Liberals. Corruption. Who is surprised?

Hey, at least the Conservatives that Christy hired (as mentioned by Flaming) come with squeaky clean records. They'll find themselves to be square pegs in round holes working in a Liberal government, unfortunately.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well instead of going off topic fill us in on mz miller rweade
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Rwede wrote:. Christy is a member of the JustinLiberals.

Sadly, Christy, who is a federal Liberal, has chosen to rehire a corrupt McGuintyLiberal.

???
K_teela
Fledgling

Post by K_teela »

gordon_as wrote:
???

He's just vehemently opposed to anything under a liberal label, even though our BC liberals are more of a right wing/Conservative party, who have taken in several (I think 12?) of the fallen Alberta/Federal Conservative party members and currently have very little ties with the actual federal Liberals.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It would be nice if someone would first differentiate the information that applies to the Federal Liberals and the information that applies to the Provincial Liberals. Also to clarify when she moved from the Federal Position to the Provincial position.

The article does not even clarify whether she stepped down, resigned, was temporarily or permanently suspended, or was fired. Which would clarify her "back at work" situation. All anyone on this string seems interested in is muddying the water in an effort to make Premier Clark look as guilty as possible. Justice and reason have become a complete bystander to politics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My question is why wouldn't a criminal type organization hire someone of a similar mind set?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Bsuds » less than a minute ago

My question is why wouldn't a criminal type organization hire someone of a similar mind set?

I frequently get jumped on for reminding people that just because there are allegations of wrongdoing against the police that no conclusion of guilt or innocence is warranted until all of the sworn evidence becomes known.

Do you think it fair to call a person who has not yet been convicted of any criminal wrongdoing a criminal?? She may well be either guilty or innocent but as has been repeated many times on this and other threads, in Canada people are considered innocent until proven guilty.

Why would her situation be judged by any other standard.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I never said she was guilty. I just implied that considering most politicians (In my opinion) are less than honest then hiring someone with those tendencies would not be outside the realm of possibility.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Bsuds » 44 minutes ago

I never said she was guilty. I just implied that considering most politicians (In my opinion) are less than honest then hiring someone with those tendencies would not be outside the realm of possibility.

In political theory it would be "reprehensible and a grave blow to our democratic way of life".

In reality I imagine there are a few in every party operating near the edge and willing to take the fall or fall on their swords for the cause. Just as there are any number of people in any organization who are willing to sacrifice a great deal for what they truly believe in.

Anyone who denies that it happens does not know what is going on in the real world.

Return to “B.C.”