Public drinking in BC??

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Public drinking in BC??

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Dizzy1 » less than a minute ago

It is not the alcohol that people want

I think that people want the boost in energy that comes from alcohol being a fast energy food that is immediately absorbed by the blood stream. IMO they also want the altered world they experience when the alcohol starts to depress their inhibitions and they are more able to experience the sensation of enjoying themselves.

What do you identify as what people want from drinking alcohol ??
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:
I think that people want the boost in energy that comes from alcohol being a fast energy food that is immediately absorbed by the blood stream. IMO they also want the altered world they experience when the alcohol starts to depress their inhibitions and they are more able to experience the sensation of enjoying themselves.

Maybe the enjoyment of a cold beer on a beach or food flavour enhancement qualities of a red wine during a picnic? You can get into all kinds of sciences, explanations, theories and nit picking but sometimes it all simply boils down to simple human pleasures that don't need to be studied and tried be explained.

I like Scotch and cigars. I don't need fancy words to explain to me that sitting down with a nice Scotch, cigar and book is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable things I can do to unwind.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

"Responsible' people drinking alcohol enjoy the camaraderie of sharing something they like to do - have a drink and talk about 'stuff' in a friendly manner - something like smokers do in the smoke pits outside grocery stores and here and there throughout the city or environs. 'Responsible drinkers' can carry on for hours and cause no social problems. Whether it is on the beach, in the parks or areas around campsites. They tend to avoid or get rid of 'irresponsible drinkers' -those guzzling booze and getting aggressive. Unfortunately those few irresponsible drinkers wreck it for the vast majority of us who find imbibing alcohol in different social settings enjoyable and relaxing.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Donald G wrote:

Unread postby Dizzy1 » 5 minutes ago

Maybe the enjoyment of a cold beer on a beach or food flavour enhancement qualities of a red wine during a picnic? You can get into all kinds of sciences, explanations, theories and nit picking but sometimes it all simply boils down to simple human pleasures that don't need to be studied and tried be explained.

Fair enough. I on the other hand prefer to know why people drink or do any number of things in order to come to a conclusion of what I support or do not support in relation to the topic under discussion.

I do not think that alcohol would ever have been identified as being presently being among the most destructive drugs in our society from a macro and sometimes micro perspective if everyone had you view and habits regarding alcohol. But experience and history has identified that you are in a small minority of problem free "drinkers".
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:Fair enough. I on the other hand prefer to know why people drink or do any number of things in order to come to a conclusion of what I support or do not support in relation to the topic under discussion.

This is all you need to come to a proper conclusion ...

;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby flamingfingers » 4 minutes ago

"Responsible' people drinking alcohol enjoy the camaraderie of sharing something they like to do ....

If it is not possible for people to "enjoy the camaraderie of sharing something they like to do" without alcohol is it because the people have never learned to do it without the alcohol ?? Over a cup of coffee or sports drink as an example ??

Are you not saying that you need the alcohol to lower your inhibitions so that you can do what some people find possible and enjoyable to do without the altered reality provided by alcohol ??

I am not at all against drinking but I think it important for people who drink to understand why they drink (or take any drug) as a means of remaining in control of the drug instead of the other way around.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Last edited by flamingfingers on Mar 19th, 2016, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chill
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's not wider access to alcohol. There isn't talk of selling it at the beach but bringing your own. I live a few blocks from the lake and enjoy a few ciders while floating on my air mattress in the summers. I'm not causing harm to anyone and am an adult. I do not see why that should be illegal.
Last edited by JLives on Mar 19th, 2016, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
This is all you need to come to a proper conclusion ...

;)

We'd get along just fine. Oh my, yes.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

JLives ... Since you and your ciders are already routinely breaking the "consuming in public" laws I see no reason that there is anything to discuss. I hope that, in fairness to the community, you put your cider in a unmarked drinking container so as not to encourage others to do the same ??
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

removed
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 20th, 2016, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Donald G wrote:JLives ... Since you and your ciders are already routinely breaking the "consuming in public" laws I see no reason that there is anything to discuss. I hope that, in fairness to the community, you put your cider in a unmarked drinking container so as not to encourage others to do the same ??

No. I don't. And neither do most people chilling at the beach I mainly frequent. The only law I follow is not to cause harm to others.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Donald G wrote:JLives ... Since you and your ciders are already routinely breaking the "consuming in public" laws I see no reason that there is anything to discuss. I hope that, in fairness to the community, you put your cider in a unmarked drinking container so as not to encourage others to do the same ??

You couldn't be more wrong, once you are off land and on water you are allowed to consume alcohol, just as long as you are not operating a power vessel while impaired. It's technically legal to drink a cold cider while floating around on an air mattress, or standing in the lake for that matter. Once you are off land and on or in the water you fall under federal jurisdiction not provincial. The problem is stepping back on land if you happen to be severely drunk. Otherwise I can live on my boat and legally drink all I want.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

DG; that is so judgemental coming from you. seriously, how far up is the stick wedged?

"so as not to encourage others to do the same"? Come on.

Unless you are the representative for the puritanical group I mentioned in the OP?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

I lived in Europe for a year, where the policies on drinking in public are much more liberal. I also lived in Australia for several years where the policies are similar.

Before living in those places, I was against public drinking.

However, after living in societies where alcohol is consumed more openly, seeing how responsible people are when alcohol is far less taboo, where people grow up drinking from an earlier age (ie: having wine regularly with meals), and therefore alcohol is no longer something to use to show how grown up you are, I feel that all these laws that restrict consumption are a waste of time, money and effort.

Return to “B.C.”