BC considers wage hike

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

BC considers wage hike

Post by flamingfingers »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#161628

Yeah, right!! The buying of votes using our money starts.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC considers wage hike

Post by Donald G »

Postby flamingfingers » 5 minutes ago

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#161628

NDP supporters are going to have to decide if they are going to complain about the low minimum wage in BC or complain about the government raising the minimum wage.

Having every position on everything is the reason that the NDP is not able to attract votes when it comes to elections. Except for Union executive votes because they are all NDP supporters.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

how does raising the min. wage buy votes and with our money./ explain, or is it another dumb rant.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Yeah, right!! The buying of votes using our money starts.
Raising the minimum wage is a good thing and not a bad thing. I believe you'll find that the majority of people will support the move. When Christy Clark met with the province's union leaders in her office a couple of years ago (all the union leaders except the BCTF president who refused to attend) she made a commitment to raise the minimum wage but do it in such a way that jobs wouldn't be lost. She's keeping her promise. Good for her.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

She had the chance back in October to consider raising min wage.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/10/bc-2 ... in-canada/
Chill
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

If Christy Crook really cares about BC workers she would bring back the minimum 4 hour call out.
She was in office when her good friend Gordo reduced it to a 2 hour minimum.

Plus equal pay for waitresses and bartenders. None of this "they make tips" garbage.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

stuphoto wrote: Plus equal pay for waitresses and bartenders. None of this "they make tips" garbage.

They will get equal pay. At least minimum wage, although most restaurants pay bartenders a bit more. I used to serve tables and bartend. They were both great gigs (for a younger guy like I was at the time), lots of fun and yes - we made tips !!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Minimum wage increase is good thing for employees, also gives employers/owners a good excuse to increase prices as well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I'm centre-left and I should support an increase in the minimum wage, but I don't. There is far too much distance between minimum wage and the unemployed rate ($0.00) these days.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:

She had the chance back in October to consider raising min wage.

You say that raising the minimum wage is "buying of votes" but criticize her for not doing it back in October.
Got it.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

flamingfingers wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-161628-3-.htm#161628

/facepalm
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

flamingfingers wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-161628-3-.htm#161628

How is it buying votes?
Should she put this off until after the next election?
Should our lowest wage earners not be entitled to a small increase until it suits your time line.?
Could it be your blind hate for Christy clouds your judgement on anything she does?
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

stuphoto wrote:Plus equal pay for waitresses and bartenders. None of this "they make tips" garbage.

Do you mean equal pay and no tips, or that everyone should get tips?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Tips are another matter/.I don't believe in tips.I dont see why when I go to dinner and get a bill for 75-100$
I then should pay the waiters wage on top of that.That is for the owner to do
I do tip a little but no more than 10% and only on the amount before tax is added
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

flamingfingers wrote:Yeah, right!! The buying of votes using our money starts.

dieseluphammerdown wrote:

Should she put this off until after the next election?

There is quite a bit of speculation on other discussion forums, and FaceBook groups I belong to, even amongst card carrying liberals, that the reason the Christy Clark government is contemplating raising the minimum wage to an even higher amount than Its supposed to be going up to next, is because an early snap election is a strong possibility. Two reasons why, 1: Christy wants to take advantage of the anti-NDP momentum coming out of Alberta while the price of oil is still low and the NDP is being blamed for that. 2: She doesn't want to wait another year for the reality to set in that LNG isn't going to happen anytime in the near future because the bottom has fallen out of that market.
The curious thing is, if the NDP was demanding a wage increase all the usual suspects on here would have a million and one reasons why it would be a bad move for small businesses, yet when Christy says she's considering raising the minimum wage the same bunch of people support the idea.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “B.C.”