BC considers wage hike

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: BC considers wage hike

Post by The Green Barbarian »

GangstaTurtle wrote:
About rustled trying to explain things, it's pretty damn difficult to follow any kind of conversation when every second post is some hate-filled nonsense condemning leftists.

just as darned difficult when every other post is some hate-filled nonsense condemning anyone who isn't a loser leftist.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

whatwhat wrote:True, but someone taking full time classes, or a single parent doesn't always have time to squeeze in a second job.

Squeeze in a room-mate.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GangstaTurtle wrote:Rustled
when people here scream that no one deserves anything, say that anything related to caring is leftist loser garbage, brag about how they survived eating moldy donuts and other should too, this doesn't exactly convey a message that people here want a better world. If you're actually serious, why are you ignoring all of these posts and only rallying against certain people?

Why would I want to get caught up in all that melodrama? It's not up to me to manage the behaviour of others.I try to model respectful behaviour here. What others do isn't up to me.

Let's focus on the issue: raising minimum wage. I think we're all in agreement that incremental raises are necessary and good. Some people feel it should be bumped up to a liveable wage, but some of us can see problematic consequences to that.

For example, it seems likely most employers would have a hard time hiring people like Jane if they had to pay her a liveable wage, and they'd probably cut positions for teens and semi-retired folk.

You feel it's necessary, though, in order to address the needs of those without PWD designations. Can you see other possible solutions for these people?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

whatwhat wrote:True, but someone taking full time classes, or a single parent doesn't always have time to squeeze in a second job.

fluffy wrote:Squeeze in a room-mate.

Full House. Kate and Ally. The Odd Couple. Three's Company. Single White Female. (Just kidding.)
Not a solution for everyone, but it certainly could be for a lot of people.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:Why would I want to get caught up in all that melodrama? It's not up to me to manage the behaviour of others.I try to model respectful behaviour here. What others do isn't up to me.

Let's focus on the issue: raising minimum wage. I think we're all in agreement that incremental raises are necessary and good. Some people feel it should be bumped up to a liveable wage, but some of us can see problematic consequences to that.

For example, it seems likely most employers would have a hard time hiring people like Jane if they had to pay her a liveable wage, and they'd probably cut positions for teens and semi-retired folk.

You feel it's necessary, though, in order to address the needs of those without PWD designations. Can you see other possible solutions for these people?

10/10

Great post Rustled.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:Full House. Kate and Ally. The Odd Couple. Three's Company. Single White Female. (Just kidding.)
Not a solution for everyone, but it certainly could be for a lot of people.

Friends. Joey and Chandler.
GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Just as darned difficult when every other post is some hate-filled nonsense condemning anyone who isn't a loser leftist.

To use your own words here - where did this happen? When? And why are you expecting people to play nicely when you goad them with personal attacks?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We should do away with minimum wage, EI and I'm sure a few other programs and replace it with a living wage. Every time it has been tested the results are incredibly promising.

The days of minimum wage jobs being entry level or for students and seniors is dead. That economy no longer exists. It is people from all sorts of backgrounds who cannot succeed in the employment for many reasons. Widows, divorcees, low IQ people, people who society judges as physically unattractive, lack of available jobs in a given area, people who have to leave employment for long periods of time for various reasons and on and on.

If you work 40 hours a week you have EARNED enough money for the basics in life. If the company can't afford to pay a living wage, it can't afford to be in business.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

rustled wrote:You feel it's necessary, though, in order to address the needs of those without PWD designations. Can you see other possible solutions for these people?

I feel the need because it actually is a pretty serious issue. Although the government claims it takes mental issues into account (Asperger's, Anxiety, etc) it can actually be an extremely grueling process to get such people PWD designations. As such, they can go on without any kind of support for a very long time if not indefinitely.

No, I don't really see other possible solutions for these people. Although I have heard WorkBC has started programs to help these people find suitable employment so hopefully these programs will help fix some of the issues.

Raising awareness about certain conditions could also possibly help though with issues that tend to be "invisible" people aren't all that sympathetic.

Do you see other solutions to these people aside from raising minimum wage?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

fluffy wrote:
Squeeze in a room-mate.

Living in Kelowna, I have always had 1-3 roommates, and they have all worked 1-2 full time jobs so that we could support ourselves. some even with full educations in business or trades.

The real world isn't this magical "take a simple student loan, go to school, and suddenly you'll have a nice job that lets you pay off your loan, buy a house, and start a middle/upper class family"

Sometimes even those who were in such positions fall out. I've known people who went from middle class with good educations to working for min wage at a gas station.

What it comes down to though, is that people making minimum wage aren't just inexperienced or uneducated or lazy or unamibitious. and it shouldn't matter anyways. What should matter is that if you put in 40 hours of work in a week, you deserve to be able to afford to rent in your city, proper food, and some money to spend/save or use to raise a child.

And before anyone complains about how people are spending their money, remember that spending it goes back into the economy.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

JLives wrote:If you work 40 hours a week you have EARNED enough money for the basics in life. If the company can't afford to pay a living wage, it can't afford to be in business.

I've said the exact same thing to numerous people in real life, They usually just laugh, sadly.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote:...If you work 40 hours a week you have EARNED enough money for the basics in life. If the company can't afford to pay a living wage, it can't afford to be in business.

I'm curious about what you would replace minimum wage with. Are you suggesting everyone should be paid a living wage?

What would this mean for Jane, who has some of the basics covered? I can tell you I don't think her employer would have hired her and invested in training her, if he'd had to pay a living wage.

Should teens earn a living wage?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

GangstaTurtle wrote:
To use your own words here - where did this happen? When?

Look at every single one of your posts.

And why are you expecting people to play nicely when you goad them with personal attacks?

Sigh. Pot kettle.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JLives wrote:We should do away with minimum wage, EI and I'm sure a few other programs and replace it with a living wage. .

and what exactly constitutes a "living wage". I hear this term used all of the time, but nobody seems to understand what it means. It just makes them feel good to say it, and advocate for it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Green Barbarian wrote:again with the word "Deserve". Since when does anyone deserve anything, or the world owe anyone anything. If these people you speak of are so "hard working" then why aren't they advancing past minimum wage? That's a question I'd like to see you answer. Every company I've worked at I've seen "hard working" people advance, and lazy people either get fired or languish at their same rate. Where are all of these hard-working non-advancing well-deserving people you speak of?

Not deserve, earned. The process of exchanging labour for access to the thing you need to provide a living in this world, money.

Why aren't they advancing? Because there's nothing for them to advance to is why. How many companies do you know that are all advanced workers? Every company I have ever been at had the majority of our employees in production roles, some in management and some in admin. Show me a pattern of where this different. Not 1 company that doesn't follow the general rule but a pattern so we know this is an actual thing. With all of these advanced workers isn't the company then a little top heavy? Are you trying to insinuate EVERY company then just grows larger to fill all of the roles for these advancing employees? Or is the reality, a few advance and most don't. They either maintain or downgrade.

Go talk to single middle aged women who have worked in the trades and find out how the course of their lives tend to go. I know a few who made a good living for 20 years then found out their body was destroyed and they couldn't do it anymore. Now they're in minimum wage jobs because no one else will hire them and they have no office experience yet they still need to earn a living. They would work circles around you and yet they do it for minimum wage. These are the realities.
Last edited by JLives on Mar 30th, 2016, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “B.C.”