Have a worry free ferry ride!!

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Have a worry free ferry ride!!

Post by flamingfingers »

'Cause if one of these things goes KA-BOOM - all your worries (plus you and your family will be GONE):

MONDAY, MARCH 28, 2016
Can BC Ferry Services be trusted?

Coastal communities have reasons to distrust the provincial ferry service and its political masters. One issue is discrimination, because people on saltwater pay onerous fares while inland ferry users enjoy free sailing, services that have cost the province over $200 million during Christy Clark's time as Premier.

The province reports $491 million in tax expenditures in fiscal year 2015-16 for film and television tax credits, which is three times what it contributes to BC Ferries. Despite the importance of BC Ferries to the culture and economy of BC, the BC Liberals refuse to allocate federal infrastructure grants to this purpose. They prefer to spend billions for the benefit of the natural gas industry that is laying off workers in northeast BC.

Another issue is BC Ferries' purchasing policy, which has contributed to the destruction of competitive ship and boat building on Vancouver Island and the lower mainland. About $1 billion has been contracted by BC Ferries outside of British Columbia.

The intermediate-class ferry new-construction, S-Class refits and the planned LNG fuel facilities are proceeding without full disclosure and public discussion of details. To avoid risk to passengers, BC Ferries has long had a policy of restricting dangerous cargoes to special sailings. Now, they plan to sail with LNG tanker trucks fueling vessels while parked beside customers' vehicles.

For example:

Submission by BC Ferries to Ferry Commissioners
“At this time, it appears most likely that the ICFs will be fuelled from LNG tanker trucks parked on the vessel car deck.”

From BC Ferries website:
To replace these vessels, BC Ferries will be introducing its Salish Class of vessels, otherwise known as Intermediate Class Ferries (or ICFs). The Salish Orca and the Salish Eagle will be introduced into service on the Southern Gulf Islands routes starting in 2017. These two new vessels, as well as a third ICF (the Salish Raven) that will serve to augment peak and shoulder season service in the Southern Gulf Islands, are being built at Remontowa Shipbuilding S.A. in Gdansk, Poland.

Would you be comfortable travelling with your family on a ferry where your car is parked alongside an LNG fuel truck? Should we trust a ferry operation that has a record of overpriced under-competent management, supervised by almost two dozen patronage appointees of Christy Clark's government?

http://northerninsights.blogspot.ca/
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Have a worry free ferry ride!!

Post by Smurf »

I might be wrong but it seems to me there were fuel truck on the ferry both ways the last time I went to the island. Am I wrong.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its no different than being next to one in traffic they don't just randomly explode
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Now, they plan to sail with LNG tanker trucks fueling vessels while parked beside customers' vehicles.
Chill
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

at this time it appears to be most likely they plan to -all words that aren't backed up nothings confirmed nothing more than a bunch of jibber jabber written by someone whos clearly angry about Poland winning the bid to modify ships that our own builders backed away from due to lack of space and being to busy already. You can also bet that under no circumstance would the general public be allowed to board a ferry being fueled from a tanker truck I don't think that article has any credibility whatsoever.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I find it hard to believe that ships can be re-fueled at sea, aircraft can be re-fueled in the air and the only way to re-fuel the ferries will be to drive a tank truck onto it.
Black Dogs Matter
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Now, they plan to sail with LNG tanker trucks fueling vessels while parked beside customers' vehicles.

The quoted submission by B.C Ferry Corp does not say the ship would be sailing while being fueled from the tankers. I would imagine that the ferries would be fueled while tied up (much like they are fueled now).
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dogspoiler wrote:I find it hard to believe that ships can be re-fueled at sea, aircraft can be re-fueled in the air and the only way to re-fuel the ferries will be to drive a tank truck onto it.

Naval ships do it all the time but it is considered very dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UUx8U_1fEU
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Bsuds wrote:
Naval ships do it all the time but it is considered very dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UUx8U_1fEU

Yes, but in this case the job could be done while the ship is at a dock.
Black Dogs Matter
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Smurf wrote:I might be wrong but it seems to me there were fuel truck on the ferry both ways the last time I went to the island. Am I wrong.

You are probably right. However they have to get the fuel somewhere.
As far as I can tell there is a proposed LNG plant on Vancouver Island. However at this time they still have to go to the mainland.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I might be wrong, but it seems a few people are making grapes and grapefruit comparisons.

Don't the ferries currently burn Marine Diesel? That's quite a bit different than LNG. I think this year they start transitioning the duel fuel ships and the newer replacements start coming LNG powered.

Found this doc from fortis:

https://www.fortisbc.com/MediaCentre/Ne ... ssels.aspx

The LNG will be supplied from FortisBC’s Tilbury facility located in Delta, which recently broke ground on a $400-million expansion and the Mt. Hayes facility, located on Vancouver Island. The Tilbury expansion will add 1.1 million gigajoules of LNG storage and approximately 34,000 gigajoules of liquefaction capacity per day. The existing Tilbury LNG facility has been operating safely since 1971, and the Mt. Hayes facility has been in operation since 2011. The ships will be fuelled in the traditional manner that BC Ferries takes on diesel fuel, with trucks making deliveries to the vessels during non-operational periods.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

dogspoiler wrote:I find it hard to believe that ships can be re-fueled at sea, aircraft can be re-fueled in the air and the only way to re-fuel the ferries will be to drive a tank truck onto it.

I wonder if BC Ferries will charge the driver the going fare. :D

Return to “B.C.”