Not allowed Christy

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Not allowed Christy

Post by Urbane »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 5th, 2016, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 5th, 2016, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maryjane48 wrote:*removed*

An example is just that - an "example," but my advice to you is to get back on topic. I agree with what Smurf said the other day. We should be discussing the actual issue and that's what you should do rather than dissing me.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 5th, 2016, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

YAY!! For Vicki Huntington, an INDEPENDENT who has served in the Legislature since 2009. We need more of these kinds of representatives:

Monday, April 04, 2016
How To End Super-Secret Big Money Hook-Ups In British Columbia...Independent Edition.
What'sTwentyThousandAPlateBetween
SecretFriendsVille

Independent MLA from Massey Bridge South, Vicky Huntington, is first out of the gate with a private members bill (apparently beating the Dippers by two days with their fourth try) designed to fix this apparent influence peddling once and for all.

Essentially, it looks to be very similar to what's already in place federally.

From Ms. Huntington's website:

Independent MLA Vicki Huntington introduced a bill in the legislature today to ban corporate and union donations from provincial and municipal politics. The legislation would also limit campaign contributions to $1,500 a year, and prohibit donations from individuals living outside the province...

And here's a province-by-province breakdown from Ms. Huntington which is most interesting (and illuminating):

See the provincial breakdown here:

http://pacificgazette.blogspot.ca/2016/ ... -hook.html
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Good on Vicki!

<Tries to remember the accolades for Harper from FF when he banned union and corporate donations at the federal level, but he's drawing a blank>

Care to spark my memory on that one?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Quelle surprise:

BC rules out banning corporate and union donations

ROB SHAW, VANCOUVER SUN 04.04.2016

VICTORIA — B.C. will not be following Ontario’s lead in banning political donations from corporations and unions, says the province’s finance minister.

Mike de Jong said Monday that the provincial government will not introduce legislation that would ban big money from politics, or set limits on donors. Instead, he argued that B.C.’s existing laws on fundraising, reporting and fixed election dates — combined with a new pledge from Premier Christy Clark to move toward real-time disclosure of donors — is sufficient for public confidence in the system.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/politi ... story.html
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Hahaha! Who expected anything different from a Liberal?

I know the federal Liberals were absolutely livid when Harper outlawed corporate and union donations.

Once again, FF, do you congratulate Mr Harper for banning them?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It's too bad that Christy Clark isn't willing to introduce or support legislation prohibiting corporate and union donations. Time to kick the bums out. However, when you read Gary Mason's column on the political side to this story you simply can't be impressed with John Horgan. Here is an excerpt followed by a link to the full column:

However, much of the B.C. media’s focus on the story, oddly enough, has been on the NDP, and the hypocrisy inherent in criticizing the Liberals for fundraising measures it employs itself.

I will concede NDP Leader John Horgan has not looked comfortable on this issue. Nor has he always been forthright on the subject. When I spoke with him last Monday, he had just landed in Ontario. When I asked why he was there, he said he was going to Ottawa, where he was scheduled to speak at a conference at the Broadbent Institute. What he neglected to say was that he was in Toronto, where he would attend a $5,000-a-head fundraising breakfast a couple of days later – amid the furor over The Globe’s revelations about Ms. Clark’s $10,000-a-plate dinner. His function was not mentioned to me at all. The B.C. Liberals found out about it, contacted media outlets, and that’s how word of the breakfast got out.

Mr. Horgan did not emerge looking very good. It should be noted that the Opposition leader did go to Ottawa to attend the Broadbent Institute event, but not until later in the week.

Full column: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e29523238/
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:
I will concede NDP Leader John Horgan has not looked comfortable on this issue. Nor has he always been forthright on the subject. When I spoke with him last Monday, he had just landed in Ontario. When I asked why he was there, he said he was going to Ottawa, where he was scheduled to speak at a conference at the Broadbent Institute. What he neglected to say was that he was in Toronto, where he would attend a $5,000-a-head fundraising breakfast a couple of days later – amid the furor over The Globe’s revelations about Ms. Clark’s $10,000-a-plate dinner. His function was not mentioned to me at all. The B.C. Liberals found out about it, contacted media outlets, and that’s how word of the breakfast got out.

Wow, reading this garbage I couldn't decide whether to laugh at what an idiot Horgan is and how dumb the NDP looks, or cry at the fact that we literally don't have any Opposition or choice to vote for in this province. Just ridiculous.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Wow, reading this garbage I couldn't decide whether to laugh at what an idiot Horgan is and how dumb the NDP looks, or cry at the fact that we literally don't have any Opposition or choice to vote for in this province. Just ridiculous.

I'm crying. I've stood up for Horgan as a nice guy who was really pleasant when I spoke with him.

But unfortunately, he's a nincompoop that the NDP has brainwashed into an automaton.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Rwede wrote:
    I'm crying. I've stood up for Horgan as a nice guy who was really pleasant when I spoke with him.

But unfortunately, he's a nincompoop that the NDP has brainwashed into an automaton.
I don't see the NDP winning on opposition to Site C or on economic issues in general but when it comes to the subject of this thread the NDP has some potential to win over the public. That's what makes what Horgan did so stupid. He not only attended the same type of fundraiser that he's been criticizing the Liberals for but he deliberately misled the media about it.

I think most people would support a ban on corporate/union contributions but Horgan's support for the ban juxtaposed with his active involvement in these fundraisers he claims to be against really makes you shake your head. With Horgan we wouldn't get an upgrade in the honesty or transparency categories.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Rwede wrote: I'm crying. I've stood up for Horgan as a nice guy who was really pleasant when I spoke with him.

It actually makes me wonder if Farnsworth could of or would of done any better. Somehow I am really doubting it.
I really believe the last thing this province is going to have to worry about for a long time is a NDP government.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Horgan is in an impossible situation. His party needs the funding but that goes against what he has called out the ChristyLiberals on; however the ChristyLiberals have discarded out of hand any suggestion to put an end to corporate/union funding political parties.

I think the playing field needs to be leveled and until such time, we are stuck with the status quo.

Besides which, what kind of 'influence peddling' would Horgan be able to do in Ontario? It's not as if he had any influence to peddle here in BC as the Opposition!
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Horgan is in an impossible situation. His party needs the funding but that goes against what he has called out the ChristyLiberals on; however the ChristyLiberals have discarded out of hand any suggestion to put an end to corporate/union funding political parties.

I think the playing field needs to be leveled and until such time, we are stuck with the status quo.

Besides which, what kind of 'influence peddling' would Horgan be able to do in Ontario? It's not as if he had any influence to peddle here in BC as the Opposition!
You're totally letting him off the hook and that's ridiculous! He not only broke his own principles, or what he claims are his principles, but he deliberately misled the media. So much for the honesty and transparency you say that you want in government. Why don't we hold ALL of our politicians to a higher standard? I may not like the NDP but I've been very critical of Christy Clark and the Liberals when they deserve it and they deserve it quite often.

Return to “B.C.”