BC minimum wage now the lowest in the country

Omnitheo
Guru

BC minimum wage now the lowest in the country

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 23?cmp=rss
"When workers are last in the country, in the most expensive province in the country, our government has to do something about that," said B.C. Federation of Labour President Irene Lanzinger.

A new poll released today by the same group says 83 per cent of people think it's necessary for a person on minimum wage to be above the poverty line. Three in four people polled also supported raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.

Come on BC. We can do better than last place.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rookie314
Übergod

Re: BC minimum wage now the lowest in the country

Post by rookie314 »

As everyone says to nurses and teachers, you know trained professionals, if you don't like it, move.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
Come on BC. We can do better than last place.

how many people in BC are actually working for minimum wage? WIth the economy going the way it is, the giant government teat isn't really as necessary, as the market is dictating that minimum wage payments aren't going to attract the labour. I know...insert a big barf-fest about Macdonalds and Walmart here....
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Apr 1st, 2016, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'd rather see those receiving BC disability to get an increase bringing them closer to minimum wage.

I know off topic & will be deleted
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

The Green Barbarian wrote:how many people in BC are actually working for minimum wage?

Not getting into a whole thing here, but honestly, you'd be surprised. It's really not that uncommon.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

http://bcfed.ca/issues/minimum-wage

6.4 percent of workers in our province earn the minimum wage. That’s 120,000 people who are struggling to make ends meet. People from all demographics:

It is important to dispel the myth that minimum wage earners are all young people.

Nearly half - 47 percent – are older than 25. 63 percent are women. They are adults trying to establish a career; mothers and fathers trying to raise their families; and students trying to pay for their studies.

Shockingly, nearly 10,000 are over age 55. Seniors who simply cannot afford to retire, and are stuck in low wage jobs to keep paying the bills.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

6.4 percent of workers in our province earn the minimum wage. That’s 120,000 people who are struggling to make ends meet. People from all demographics:

It is important to dispel the myth that minimum wage earners are all young people.

Nearly half - 47 percent – are older than 25. 63 percent are women. They are adults trying to establish a career; mothers and fathers trying to raise their families; and students trying to pay for their studies.

Shockingly, nearly 10,000 are over age 55. Seniors who simply cannot afford to retire, and are stuck in low wage jobs to keep paying the bills.

Or putting it another way, 93.6% of workers in our province are not earning minimum wage. More than half are young people who are getting job experience while earning some money. While some in the over 55 group are working because they can't afford to retire some also are working because they enjoy it or simply because they don't want to be sitting at home. It's also important to note that many minimum wage earners live with someone else who earns money. That's not to say that we shouldn't raise the minimum wage. We should and the government will be doing that this spring.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

You're right there certainly was some spin on how the results are presented. The numbers are true though. Additionally that number is workers making the bare minimum wage. There are undoubtedly much larger numbers that fall into the <$15 wage range.

The amount the government is raising it is only 20c which is more of a joke than anything.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The Green Barbarian wrote:how many people in BC are actually working for minimum wage?

There was a good story about who earns minimum wage these days: http://www.castanet.net/news/Opinion/16 ... oesnt-poor

In fact, nearly 60 per cent of minimum-wage earners are ages 15 to 24, with the vast majority of them (85 per cent) living with parents or other relatives.

And 20 per cent of minimum-wage earners live with an employed spouse, meaning there are other earners in the household.

Crucially, just two per cent of Canadian minimum-wage earners are single parents with at least one child.

In short, the minimum wage is neither an efficient nor effective strategy for helping the working poor.

onefishtwofish

Post by onefishtwofish »

So, as a SMALL business owner in BC, when I put my prices up 45% to compensate for the increase in hourly wages nobody will complain and say I'm the evil business owner who is gouging right? Why is it nobody is addressing that if wages go up, EVERY thing goes up? What about the employees who have worked many years to get to $15/hour, do their wages go up 45% as well? In the end, all prices go up and those in poverty Stay In Poverty. It's really a no brainer and those who haven't figured that out, well the future doesn't look too rosy, does it?
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

I could care less; roll it back to 8 bucks an hour for all I care. If you want to get off minimum wage, go get some skills.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
GangstaTurtle
Fledgling

Post by GangstaTurtle »

GEW wrote:I could care less; roll it back to 8 bucks an hour for all I care. If you want to get off minimum wage, go get some skills.

I agree, They should at least learn the difference between could care less and couldn't care less. Damn entitled hippies....
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:You're right there certainly was some spin on how the results are presented. The numbers are true though. Additionally that number is workers making the bare minimum wage. There are undoubtedly much larger numbers that fall into the <$15 wage range.

The amount the government is raising it is only 20c which is more of a joke than anything.

From Even Steven's post:
In short, the minimum wage is neither an efficient nor effective strategy for helping the working poor.

Incremental raises are the only sensible way to increase minimum wage. (See Seattle for an example of trying to help the working poor by massively bumping the minimum wage.) It'll be 30 cents, I think. From the CBC:
As of today, British Columbia is now home the lowest minimum wage in Canada at $10.45 an hour.

The province has announced plans to increase that rate, up to $10.75, but that won't occur until Sept. 1.

The B.C. Federation of Labour says even that 40-cent jump isn't enough.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3515923
That isn't a lot, but let's not be bamboozled by the political rhetoric. I was curious about how the province establishes the increase. (Surely not by trying to one-up other provinces.) According to http://www.retailcouncil.org/quickfacts/minimum-wage
On September 15 of each year, minimum wage is adjusted annually relative to the Consumer Price Index.

Same as several other provinces and territories. Interesting that Alberta and Saskatchewan use a slightly different formula:
Minimum wage is adjusted annually relative to Average Weekly Earnings and the Consumer Price Index.

I wonder what our minimum wage would look like if the Average Weekly Earnings was part of our formula. I suspect it could hold the minimum wage lower.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

GangstaTurtle wrote:
I agree, They should at least learn the difference between could care less and couldn't care less. Damn entitled hippies....

Sorry to offend your lofty grammatical standards smartass. I was too tired after working 14 hours to care too much. I am saving money for price increases, due to the minimum wage being too high.
Last edited by GEW on Apr 2nd, 2016, 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
6.4 percent of workers in our province earn the minimum wage.

OK - well that's interesting...considering a lot of workers on minimum wage are kids who are working while in high school, and seniors just wanting something to do...I'm sure the BC Fed would NEVER politicize this and overstate the impacts purely for political means...

That’s 120,000 people who are struggling to make ends meet.

Oh barf. Of course. What a bunch of idiots. But not surprise.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”