RCMP officer killed

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: RCMP officer killed

Post by Smurf »

Having given my rant above I do feel that there's lots of proof this guy was in the wrong and deserves some severe punishment for taking a life.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Dizzy1 wrote:Did anyone even remotely suggest that Castanet or any other news source was doing the investigation? The media talked to the witness and reported his account, although that account seems to have some information added to it for which ever reason - nothing more was suggested.

That's right. Fortunately, the media's report isn't the relevant one.

We've seen it many times where the media jumps onto a story so quickly that misinformation is reported. That very well may have been the case here.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

FreeRights wrote:We've seen it many times where the media jumps onto a story so quickly that misinformation is reported. That very well may have been the case here.

That is another very plausible scenario. Witnesses changing their account of what happened also happens from time to time, either through deliberately chaining the story (for whatever reason) or by remembering things after the shock has settled or by simply imagining things. Authorities censoring media reports is also something that happens.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Or the witnesses don't reveal everything to the media before revealing everything to the investigator.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

This whole debate about whether the police were trying to stop or pursuing the truck that ended up colliding with the police car and killing Cst. Beckett doesn't matter!!!! The witness said he saw the truck speeding toward the intersection and then the crash occurred. If this guy was fleeing from the police, HE was wrong and the resulting accident and death are on him... nobody else. If this was the case, everything that occurred was as a result of this adult male's choices!!! If [and this is pure speculation] Constable Beckett was trying to position her police vehicle as part of the effort to contain the speeding truck when it hit her patrol car... HE was still wrong and her death is on him! If the man was not being pursued, but speeding and driving recklessly, and collided with Constable Beckett's police car, he is still just as wrong. I personally don't know what motivates people to find ways to mitigate the guilt or responsibility of individuals who do things that end up with such serious and tragic consequences.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

even though i agree because speed kills , how could he not be charged ? whats to investigate if what you said is the right version ? seems open and shut to me
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the had his lights off too, which to my mind is a huge indicator that he was fleeing something.

Who drives, at a high rate of speed, in the middle of the night, with no lights on? Certainly not any upstanding citizens.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Treblehook wrote:This whole debate about whether the police were trying to stop or pursuing the truck that ended up colliding with the police car and killing Cst. Beckett doesn't matter!!!! The witness said he saw the truck speeding toward the intersection and then the crash occurred. If this guy was fleeing from the police, HE was wrong and the resulting accident and death are on him... nobody else. If this was the case, everything that occurred was as a result of this adult male's choices!!! If [and this is pure speculation] Constable Beckett was trying to position her police vehicle as part of the effort to contain the speeding truck when it hit her patrol car... HE was still wrong and her death is on him! If the man was not being pursued, but speeding and driving recklessly, and collided with Constable Beckett's police car, he is still just as wrong. I personally don't know what motivates people to find ways to mitigate the guilt or responsibility of individuals who do things that end up with such serious and tragic consequences.

It most certainly does matter, as that would be a vital contribution to the accident. Now, I know that some of you have a very serious problem differentiating factor and fault and not understanding the difference between the two, none the less it would be a very important contributor to the accident.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Actual facts not yet known. Situation unclear. Adamant public opinions rendered. Situation normal.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:Actual facts not yet known. Situation unclear. Adamant public opinions rendered. Situation normal.

So, until the facts are know, its OK to point the finger at the civilian but its not OK to analyze possible factors that involve the RCMP? You're right, situation normal.

I'm not trying to make any conclusions, I agree, until we know the facts - we don't know what happened. But as we start getting bits and pieces, we do try and figure things out (which can be done without drawing a conclusion) - this is what people do on discussion forums, at work, at home or at the coffee shop all over and everyday.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Dizzy1 » Yesterday, 7:30 pm

So, until the facts are know, its OK to point the finger at the civilian but its not OK to analyze possible factors that involve the RCMP?

Please identify where I faulted either the civilian or the police officer ?? Please do not make things up.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:
Please identify where I faulted either the civilian or the police officer ?? Please do not make things up.

It was more of a generalization not necessarily directed at you - the finger point starts towards the civilian and the how dare you point the finger at the police starts on page one by the usual police can do no wrong crowd.

This one is my personal favourite ...

Treblehook wrote:This whole debate about whether the police were trying to stop or pursuing the truck that ended up colliding with the police car and killing Cst. Beckett doesn't matter!!!! The witness said he saw the truck speeding toward the intersection and then the crash occurred. If this guy was fleeing from the police, HE was wrong and the resulting accident and death are on him... nobody else.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dizzy1 wrote:the finger point starts towards the civilian and the how dare you point the finger at the police starts on page one by the usual police can do no wrong crowd.

Don't agree - the OP set the tone:
nothing to do with her being an officer, but drivers like this should get life in jail ,for acts like this, this should be nothing less than a manslaughter charge
based on the news reports at the time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:Don't agree - the OP set the tone:

And the tone was changed by other posters on the first page.
Fancy wrote: based on the news reports at the time.

And we learned there may be more to the story, in which the pro-coppers have gotten even more defensive.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Still disagree. I guess I read more about the driver running a red and the loss of life on the first page. There was no "police can do no wrong" in my opinion.

Return to “B.C.”