Vancouver still not prepared for an oil spill

Omnitheo
Guru

Vancouver still not prepared for an oil spill

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 98?cmp=rss

A year after the cargo ship MV Marathassa spilled several thousand litres of bunker fuel into Vancouver's English Bay, concerns remain about the region's ability to put together a coordinated clean-up response.

"I don't think we as a region are ready for a major spill, says Vancouver city manager Sadhu Johnston.

He says last year's spill, which was limited to the fuel from a cargo ship, was actually fairly small compared to what could happen if an oil tanker passing through the harbour were to run into trouble.

"The fact of the matter is West Coast Marine Response Corporation still doesn't have the capacity to clean up the quantities of a spill like that."

Delays in the federal governments' response to the Marathassa spill provoked widespread condemnation from both city and provincial officials.

A review of Marathassa spill concluded that miscommunication and uncertainty over roles delayed containment and clean-up.

"The truth is if we have a diluted bitumen spill, we are done. A recent study by the National Academy of Sciences show that bitumen sinks. We have no means if cleaning it up. If we have a diluted bitumen spill, our coast will never be the same.

Amazing that we take such gambles with the environment of this province, country even. Vancouver and BC rely heavily on tourism, and to take risks that could impact the environment and our economy so severely without a response plan in mind is just careless. This spill last year was a warning. And to the Liberal Government and City of Vancouver should have been an alarm bell to show just how unprepared they were to deal with even a relatively minor spill.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Vancouver still not prepared for an oil spill

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Gregor The Commie Robertson should resign. This is an outrage.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Not city responsibility - it's a Provincial Government responsibility....

But yeah, I agree, the BC Liberal government SHOULD resign - en mass!
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:
But yeah, I agree, the BC Liberal government SHOULD resign - en mass!

and be replaced by whom? The NDP is even worse, like a stinking dung heap of stupidity, so who should take over?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wonder is BC ready for any natural or man made disasters, just curious.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Well, to paraphrase GB: The Christy Liberals are like a stinking dung heap of stupidity, arrogance, corruption and malfeasance.

At this point, the corrupt bums need to be booted from office!! The NDP could NEVER achieve the level of corruption and malfeasance the ChristyLiberals have.
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote: The NDP could NEVER achieve the level of corruption and malfeasance the ChristyLiberals have.

LOL - and if you honestly believe this giant stinking dung heap of a lie, I've got a bridge to sell you.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Nah, you've already bought it and are driving across it every day, paying tolls of $50 each way!!
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:^^Nah, you've already bought it and are driving across it every day, paying tolls of $50 each way!!

No I'm not.

Return to “B.C.”