Good news about global warming

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Good news about global warming

Post by maryjane48 »

i didnt call it a sham . mr deisil did . lol but now we see your true colors . you were never interested in science . you motivation was to try and put words into my mouth . pretty shamful actions for someone trying to be seen as credible . i suggest before you respond with more lies , to re read who said what . there is a rule to quote accuratly
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i call it as i see it and now that you have attributed some one elses words to me and twisted them around to boot , your only agenda in this thread is to paint people as some how being beneath you for speaking to the facts . i read uvics whole report . i know exactly what it says .its good the trees are growing faster but worse news why its happening . thats the facts according to uvics paper . anyghing other than that is partisan spin
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Some people are stuck on a bad news script and any good news, like this UVic study, just ticks them off. I pity those who can't be happy about good news.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:Rustled, surely you recognize that I have attempted to contribute much to this conversation. I have replied to your well constructed arguments in full, and to some of the...lesser arguments I have presented them their own worthy responses.

In no way am I attempting to mislead, however when people speak of the billions of dollars of vested interests for the scientific community to reject their teachings and perpetuate fraud I just don't buy it. It's like if we suddenly said that all doctors are murderers. It's in their interest to let people die, because it scares people into funding hospitals.

You speak of the slow approach. We need to better understand the phenomenon to take less risky measures in case we hurt the economy. This is the current approach as it has been for over 40 years. And over that time, we have accumulated more and more research painting us a much clearer picture.

While there are wealthy individuals involved in raising awareness of climate change, or even benefitting off the manufacturing of solar panels, the wealth is spread far and wide, and not focused in a few corporations or individuals that have been caught covering up their own scientific studies or hiding their wealth off shore. and the more actions i see by those who stand to benefit from denying climate change, the better the other side looks.

I don't want it to be real myself. I want to live on a nice green planet with all the animals alive that I learned about as a kid, and without massive refugee crisis or food shortages. Chances are in my life things will never be as bad the predictions made. But I don't just care about these things for myself, it's for other people, for humanity, and for all other life on this planet, they deserve it.

I simply don't see the validity of theories about conspiracies for or against climate change.

I see human nature at work. Some people take advantage of others and of the opportunities at hand to make a profit, and they shift their strategies as policies shift. Sometimes they encourage shifts, other times they simply react to them.

Others see an opportunity to better the lives of the poor and the way we all treat the planet, and some of these fail to consider the unintended consequences of their actions while others are perhaps too cautious in their approach.

Most people just live their own lives as best they can, and most don't deserve to be further impoverished or made to feel guilty when there's so much uncertainty at play.

And I see nature at work, coming back from the MPB infestation. That is what this thread is about: how surprisingly (or perhaps unsurprisingly) well the earth is healing the damage done by that devastating MPB infestation.

The relationship between the warmer climate and the higher levels of CO2 and the speed at which the earth is healing herself from this particular disaster is interesting, positive, and complex. Can we not simply agree on this, instead of devolving into yet another protracted argument about ideology? Surely you can agree: this is good news.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

maryjane48 wrote:i didnt call it a sham . mr deisil did . lol but now we see your true colors . you were never interested in science . you motivation was to try and put words into my mouth . pretty shamful actions for someone trying to be seen as credible . i suggest before you respond with more lies , to re read who said what . there is a rule to quote accuratly

My goodness.

Well, since I'm finding it far too difficult to understand your posts, I'll stop responding rather than risking causing you more offence.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:Some people are stuck on a bad news script and any good news, like this UVic study, just ticks them off. I pity those who can't be happy about good news.

There definitely is a segment of society that wants all of the news about the environment to be bad, all of the time. Any time any good news comes out, they lash out, sometimes violently. All one needs to look at is the Canadian nuclear scientist who published his findings about how Fukishima was not harmful to the ocean or to humans (somehow he was able to get around the mysterious gag-order that Harper apparently had on scientists, not sure how) and how the enviro-lunatic fringe reacted to these findings, including threatening the poor man with death threats. Anything good = bad to these people. It must be doom-saying apocalyptic babbling all of the time, all day every day, or it can't be tolerated.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Well, since I'm finding it far too difficult to understand your posts,

It's hard , huh ...

MORE TREES , NOT WEED !!!!
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 11th, 2016, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Discuss the topic, not other posters. Thanks.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

This good news reminds me of what Dr. James Lovelock has had to say in recent years. He's the father of the Gaia Theory and a prominent geophysicist. Here's what he said about the UN climate panel:

'They just guess. And a whole group of them meet together and encourage each other’s guesses.'

And this:

Fast Forward to April 2012: ‘Gaia’ scientist James Lovelock reverses himself: I was ‘alarmist’ about climate change & so was Gore! ‘The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago’

For his honesty he's been called a traitor but he's right. We really don't know what's going to happen so this surprise in the form of good news shouldn't really be a surprise. You can read more here about Dr. James Lovelock and other scientists who have the courage to dissent:

Read more: http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/04/03/ ... z45d9z711n
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Why can't people just stick to the good old word " pollution " ?
Can anyone deny pollution ?
It's everywhere. Let's try our best to reduce it. Plain and simple.
We are destroying our planet. Can anyone deny that ?
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Why can't people just stick to the good old word " pollution " ?
That seems sensible to me and that's why we should get behind projects like the Site C dam rather than quibbling about the short term costs.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Why can't people just stick to the good old word " pollution " ?

I fully agree we ought to focus firmly on reducing pollution.

We are certainly making quite a mess in some places, and need to deal with that, but I can't agree that what we're currently doing qualifies as "destroying our planet".

It seems to me when we exaggerate the problem, when we get carried away with thinking we can or should somehow control the ebb and flow of natural cycles, and even the tilt of the earth's axis, we are simply distracting ourselves from fixing the very real messes we've been making. We somehow shifted our focus from implementing doable, sustainable, humane pollution reduction goals, to fixating instead on the hazy, murky field of climate manipulation.

Acknowledging the uncertainties, celebrating the good news, helps us maintain perspective.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I agree as well. Make the problem so huge that it's impossible to fix paralyzes people into doing nothing. A more calm and level headed approach is what is needed. We are working hard to reduce pollution, perhaps not hard enough, but as soon as someone says it's all for nothing because the Manifesto says than anything short of a complete shut down the oil sands by 2017 will be completely useless, we just throw up our hands and await out doom.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

rustled wrote:We are certainly making quite a mess in some places, and need to deal with that, but I can't agree that what we're currently doing qualifies as "destroying our planet".

Sorry I wasn't clear when I wrote " we ". Since I believe we're all connected on this beautiful ( for now ) planet of ours I meant " we " as the entire world not just Canada.
I would hope Canada is better in terms of dealing with pollution compare to China and other countries.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “B.C.”