Use your own damn money, Christy!

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Use your own damn money, Christy!

Post by flamingfingers »

You've raked in MILLIONS with your $10K and $20K rubber chicken dinners plus your corporate friends' 'Pay to Play' donations so I really don't see where you need to use MY money to promote your political party, Christy!

Independent MLA calls on government to stop using public money for political ads
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Independent MLA calls on government to stop using public money for political ads
APRIL 14TH 2016
Victoria, B.C. – Independent MLA Vicki Huntington used Question Period to call on the provincial government to end the use of public money for ads that contain political party messaging.

“British Columbians are tired of seeing their own money used for ads that are clearly political in nature,” Huntington said. “If you compare the most recent wave of ads praising the government’s balanced budget with the previous B.C. Liberal campaign platform, they are almost identical.”

Huntington asked the government to develop legislation that restricts the use of partisan political information in government advertising, following the recommendations of B.C.’s auditor general. She is also calling for independent oversight of all government advertising.

“There are legitimate reasons for government to run ads, but those ads need to convey important information and be strictly in the public interest,” Huntington said. “The business of government should be kept as far from politics as possible. What’s happening today is an abuse of public money,” she said.

“No matter what party you support, no matter who is in power, independent oversight of government expenditures on advertising is critical,” said Huntington. “It is not acceptable for any party in power to use public money to promote their agenda. Political parties in B.C. raised millions of dollars last year to buy ads to air these exact same messages in the next election. There is no reason the public should be footing the bill.”

Background

Comparison of Current Advertisements to 2013 Liberal Platform

Paid government advertisements on MSP for Seniors and a $1,200 RESP grant are currently airing with the following dialogue: “B.C.’s plan to protect Canada’s strongest economy is working. Balanced Budget 2016 means we can keep taxes low and invest in B.C. families.”
BC Liberals 2013 election platform: “B.C.’s Strong Economy is creating jobs and keeping taxes low for families. We’re protecting it with a balanced budget and controlled spending.”[1]

BC Auditor General 2014 Report and Recommendations

“It is a generally agreed upon principle that government should not use its position of influence or public funds and resources to support an electoral campaign. Government spends public money to inform taxpayers about its programs, but citizens should not pay for communications that are of a partisan political nature.
”[2]

Recommendations:

“Establish a general policy that explicitly prohibits the use of partisan political information in public government communications, and provide specific guidelines which set out criteria as to information that should or should not be included in public government communications.”
“Ensure that the policy and guidance to be established is adhered to.”

More here:

http://vickihuntington.ca/content/indep ... itical-ads
Chill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Use your own dam* money, Christy!!!

Post by maryjane48 »

she makes me sick with all her harperesque tricks . by far one of the worst premiers bc has ever had .
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Not to worry NDP supporters the
Is on it's way .
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

you support corrupt govt . i do not . thats the only distinction that counts :skippingsheep:
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

maryjane48 wrote:you support corrupt govt . i do not . thats the only distinction that counts :skippingsheep:
Sorry but I don't support corruption in government at any level.
We all know Christy isn't perfect, in fact she at times can be far from it.
However until there is a better viable option we are stuck with her and the liberals.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:Sorry but I don't support corruption in government at any level.
    However until there is a better viable option we are stuck with her and the liberals.
Great summary and it also applies to the other 933 (give or take a few hundred) threads about Christy Clark's failings, real and imagined.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well every one can decide for themselves how to vote abd im not going to tell anyone how to vote unlike some the rightwing on here . it is no ones choice to make but thier own . but from now on i myself am going to vote against corruption and selfserving govts . i thinks thats the only wzy to send a message of enoughs enough .
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

So that rules out the liberals and the ndp.

Is there a new option that is realistic?

Since there isn't it comes down to which corruption you support not actually being against it.

The reality is no one actually supports corruption, but some make the accusation to feel morally superior
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

We only have two real choices. We can for one party that best represents our views and has 'appearance' and hope of least corruption but that is best we can do. Haven't been too many parties in power that have not danced with some corruption.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Of course you use taxpayer money to feed the media. How else would you prevent negative investigative reporting of your party and leader. If you lose the media you have nothing. That's why you vote against a law that would prevent corporate and union donations.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'll say it again, we pretty well have to accept the Liberals are the best option we have but why do we have to accept the crap that they are pulling. If everyone made it plain that we do not accept it and stopped sitting back and condoning it we might get some of it cleaned up. When everyone just says oh well there's nothing better, it will continue and only get worse. Why can't we lobby for improvement. Instead of sitting on here throwing insults take a moment and let the government know we are disappointed in them. Even Liberal supporters agree that some of the things they do are wrong. Turn them into the party we want, deserve, and not just the best of the worst.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Smurf wrote:. Even Liberal supporters agree that some of the things they do are wrong. Turn them into the party we want, deserve, and not just the best of the worst.
I'm not sure that i personally fall into the liberal supporter category even though i voted for them.
I vote for Christy and the liberals for the fact that the NDP was and remains that incompetent and horrible.
Voting for the liberals was a choice of voting for the less of two evils,not because i fully supported them.
The NDP over the years has done nothing and i mean nothing to make me consider changing my mind.
As many on here have said before we need another option in BC and until that happens neither of these two parties (liberals /NDP ) will change their strips no matter how much outcry there is for change.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

dieseluphammerdown wrote: Sorry but I don't support corruption in government at any level.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 15th, 2016, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Use your own damn money, Christy!

Post by flamingfingers »

In May 2017, I will vote for any entity that will get rid of the ChristyLiberals. Just like I voted last fall for any entity that could get rid of Harper. When a government gets so corrupt and so arrogant that they forget their role in promting what is best for the general population and put their efforts into self-interests, it is beyond time to turf the buggers.

BC won't disappear in 4 years.
Chill
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Use your own damn money, Christy!

Post by Hassel99 »

Would you vote for the nazi party over the liberals? Just want to see how far the rabbit hole you are willing to go.

Return to “B.C.”