Climate change report: Risk of storm surges BC coast

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Climate change report: Risk of storm surges BC coast

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:What and we need to worry about more is breeding ourselves to extinction - there are too many people - and more being conceived and born than can be responsibly raised to realize a potential above poverty and starvation.

So what are we to do about it?
That's a totally inaccurate and needlessly depressing assessment of what's going on. I won't quote Andrew Coyne right now because I've quoted him numerous times before on the subject of poverty but you should really read what he has to say. If you do you'll feel, or should feel, much better about what's been happening in the world.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:What and we need to worry about more is breeding ourselves to extinction - there are too many people - and more being conceived and born than can be responsibly raised to realize a potential above poverty and starvation.

So what are we to do about it?

I assume you mean "we" in the sense of the global community. As third world nations enter the second and even first world level, this problem of over-population is solving itself, as people have fewer kids as they grow more affluent.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Joe Public wrote:We, the 99%, can take great joy in our knowledge that the 1% who own waterfront property will pay an increased share through property taxes of the remedial public work which will be required to address the rising seas levels that the 1% continue to argue is not happening, to be followed by the complete loss of value of that same waterfront property.

Why would anyone take any joy in watching others suffer hardship? Especially if the sole purpose of wanting to experience this joy is to quell an overwhelming feeling of hatred and jealousy? I think it's just awful to wish harm on anyone, even an NDP supporter.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
If global warming is so real, why is Al Gore buying water-front property then, with all of the money he made fear-mongering to idiots who actually believe this stupid fairy-tale? You would think that he would be buying property in Idaho, if he actually believed his own BS.

GB, you know Al Gore invented the internet.

If he can invent that, then surely he will have invented a way to stop oceans from flooding his mansion when the water simply doesn't rise, right?

The man's a friggin' genius. Just ask him.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Rwede wrote:GB, you know Al Gore invented the internet.

If he can invent that, then surely he will have invented a way to stop oceans from flooding his mansion when the water simply doesn't rise, right?

The man's a friggin' genius. Just ask him.

I honestly don't begrudge Al Gore his hundreds of millions of dollars. Good for him. I don't hate him like some people do here, just because he is rich. He did the classic con - he created a boogey man, and then found people dumb enough to pay him a ton of money to "fight" that fake boogeyman. It's no different than the Dick Cheney creating a boogeymen out of Saddam Hussein to justify invading Iraq. It's a con that been going on since the dawn of mankind. Good for you Al, you enjoy that waterfront house, despite all of the harm wished upon you by dullards and imbeciles.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 20th, 2016, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

The Green Barbarian wrote:If global warming is so real, why is Al Gore buying water-front property then, with all of the money he made fear-mongering to idiots who actually believe this stupid fairy-tale? You would think that he would be buying property in Idaho, if he actually believed his own BS.

speaking of fear mongering, fairy tales and BS...the supposed 'oceanfront' mansion is several km from the water AND several hundred feet above sea level. look it up. if thats your definition of oceanfront i have a 'lakefront' rustic cabin for sale.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

slootman wrote:
speaking of fear mongering, fairy tales and BS...the supposed 'oceanfront' mansion is several km from the water AND several hundred feet above sea level. look it up. if thats your definition of oceanfront i have a 'lakefront' rustic cabin for sale.

oh, so you are saying that he's planning on Global warming being real, and one day his huge energy-wasting mansion will be ocean-front, once all of the gullible doom-sayers are finally proven correct. Man is that guy smart! No wonder he invented the internet.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote:

Thanks for posting, Glacier. A calm, rational summary of what the scientists say. Interesting to contrast that with the vitriolic attacks on his character in the comments following the video.

For those interested, here are his credentials: http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen.htm
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

The Green Barbarian wrote:oh, so you are saying that he's planning on Global warming being real, and one day his huge energy-wasting mansion will be ocean-front, once all of the gullible doom-sayers are finally proven correct. Man is that guy smart! No wonder he invented the internet.

No, I'm saying the whole the argument you presented (Al Gore's 'oceanfront' property) is a steaming pile of you know what, and presenting it is as much fear mongering as you're accusing the other side of doing. Its ok, I won't make you publicly admit you didn't do your homework. But you didn't...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

slootman wrote:
No, I'm saying the whole the argument you presented (Al Gore's 'oceanfront' property) is a steaming pile of you know what, and presenting it is as much fear mongering as you're accusing the other side of doing. Its ok, I won't make you publicly admit you didn't do your homework. But you didn't...

If you read the article, it wasn't just that Al bought a big place near the ocean, it was the sheer size of it. But hey, let's just ignore the do as I say not as I do hypocrisy here. If Al does win out and the oceans rise, letting him dive off his patio into the ocean, good job Al.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Good to know you finally read the article.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

slootman wrote:Good to know you finally read the article.

yup.

Return to “B.C.”