Organizations too top heavy

entertained

Organizations too top heavy

Post by entertained »

We need less management and more workers. The latest I have heard is that we are losing custodians in SD23. Is it really safe and free of viruses in our schools? How often do our kids desks and key boards actually get sanitized? There will be no day time custodians so if a child vomits, or if it snows, you will see your school principal cleaning it up. Do we realize what we are paying school administrators to clean up vomit and shovel snow? Worst thing, SD 23 is laying off support staff but yet administrators are getting raises. When is this going to stop?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Organizations too top heavy

Post by Donald G »

Over time it seems that most Government run organizations end up with far too many managers and far too few front line workers. The BC Ministry of Health has to be one of the most top heavy organizations in BC if not in Canada. I think the BC Dept of Education must run a close second. Both Provincial Union organizations with excessive employee and Management Salaries and benefits accordingly.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Organizations "contract out" for one simple reason; because someone or something else will do it cheaper. So far so good. But why and how can those job receivers work for less. Often because they bust labour contracts, which is dubious but apparently legal, but more often because they violate the Employment Standards Act on hours of work, minimum hours, overtime, statutory holiday pay, and so forth.

I would like to see organizations start contracting out executive and senior management to contractors or even China and see what the greedy cynical ones at the top think of the practice.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

occasional thoughts wrote:Organizations "contract out" for one simple reason; because someone or something else will do it cheaper. So far so good. But why and how can those job receivers work for less. Often because they bust labour contracts, which is dubious but apparently legal, but more often because they violate the Employment Standards Act on hours of work, minimum hours, overtime, statutory holiday pay, and so forth.

I would like to see organizations start contracting out executive and senior management to contractors or even China and see what the greedy cynical ones at the top think of the practice.

You left out a rather obvious reason why they can work for less. That would be because they save the expense of union dues, so in essence could be working for less wage, yet still take home the same as a union worker.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby entertained » Yesterday, 9:06 pm

We need less management and more workers. The latest I have heard is that we are losing custodians in SD23. Is it really safe and free of viruses in our schools?

Your comment about losing custodians in SD23 means absolutely nothing unless the reason for needing or having less custodians is identified.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

occasional thoughts wrote:Organizations "contract out" for one simple reason; because someone or something else will do it cheaper. So far so good. But why and how can those job receivers work for less. Often because they bust labour contracts, which is dubious but apparently legal, but more often because they violate the Employment Standards Act on hours of work, minimum hours, overtime, statutory holiday pay, and so forth.

Quite a few senior management positions are contracted out. Senior management and execs don't get overtime pay, either. Senior managers and execs are exempt from hours of work legislation, too.

Just guessing here, but I take it you've never been a senior manager?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Yep, cost savings are the main expectation. Contracting for specific expertise needed for one time special projects/ jobs with start and end dates after which that expertise is either no longer needed, or is to be passed on to employees is another reason. Outsourcing of parts of an operation is a variation of contracting whereby an entire operation is given to another organization to run. Sometimes that organization will take on some of the original employees, or only use its own depending on the arrangement. (management roles can actually get contracted out too)

Return to “B.C.”