BC more than doubles penalty for distracted driving

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC more than doubles penalty for distracted driving

Post by Smurf »

You want to see an Audi try to pull a wheelie, just let your wife pull out her cell phone and pretend to take a picture of the idiot blonde driving and using her her cell phone. If looks could kill. Caught up to right away at the next light but she refused to look at us. That was our laugh for the day.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

looking4one wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean, but........

If a condom was used, that could be considered safe sex and if both his hands were at 10 and 2..........OH hell, you guys know where I am going with this........don't you? :smt045

Auto erotica leads to coitus interruptus? Doing 69 in a 50 is not safe, though not excessive enough to get your car towed?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

pentona wrote:It won't be long before BC bans even hands-free use while driving and rightly so. When Cdn Underwriters get involved and state the following, Insurance companies and ICBC take notice big time.

http://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/insur ... 004093384/

Note; even Dr. Art Hister agreed fully with the above study on the news this morning.

Not rightly so at all. That will happen on the same day passengers are banned which is never. Driving with children in the vehicle is far more distracting than talking hands free while driving. If you can't handle speaking and driving at the same time then you shouldn't be driving.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:Auto erotica leads to coitus interruptus? Doing 69 in a 50 is not safe, though not excessive enough to get your car towed?

Oh, that was a good one :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JLives wrote:
Not rightly so at all. That will happen on the same day passengers are banned which is never. Driving with children in the vehicle is far more distracting than talking hands free while driving. If you can't handle speaking and driving at the same time then you shouldn't be driving.

But, but, but ... the article.

How would it be enforced? Can't move your lips while driving? People singing to themselves, talking to their passengers, talking to themselves (guilty) being pulled over under the assumption they were on their phone? You have an accident and they say you were on the phone, "sorry, my passenger was on the phone". Can't be done in a sensible manner - especially given the fact more and more manufacturers are offering it standard on the vehicles and going to more hands free (voice command) functions.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I recall this ad from the Superbowl. Caught a lot of folks attention as well. Checking Facebook while driving? Why? What in the H_ll is so bloomin important that can't wait til one is stopped?

I know what the defenders will say..that "oh we would only check our Facebook while stopped or the passenger will do it all". Sure!

I believe there is a law about not having video screens visible to the driver (ie: TV, Ipad device with video, etc); seems we are starting back down that road again; just no reason why.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/08/mazd ... ckefeller/
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:I recall this ad from the Superbowl. Caught a lot of folks attention as well. Checking Facebook while driving? Why? What in the H_ll is so bloomin important that can't wait til one is stopped?

I know what the defenders will say..that "oh we would only check our Facebook while stopped or the passenger will do it all". Sure!

I believe there is a law about not having video screens visible to the driver (ie: TV, Ipad device with video, etc); seems we are starting back down that road again; just no reason why.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/08/mazd ... ckefeller/

Define video screen. Its one thing to check your FB status while driving, yet its another to have a video screen in an optimal place to display certain information (including incoming calls) while minimizing the amount of time your eyes are off the road - take Audi for example ...

... again, technology is evolving the way we live and interact, with others and our vehicles. Manufacturers are addressing the safety aspect of distracted driving while at the same time, they are evolving with our society by adding the technology we (maybe not you, yet) need to function in our changing world and incorporating and developing the safest methods possible.

Traditional instrument clusters and driver controls are on their way out and making way to highly customizable multi function displays. Even Volvo, who offered a "night driving" feature that dims all cabin/instrument lights except for the speedometer is heading in this direction.

Its the same argument hands free vs. handheld. Its one thing to have a display integrated into your car then it is to simply have one held in place with velcro. Its one thing to watch a movie while driving, and another to have various bits of information displayed in front of you, including radio stations, playlists, incoming calls, etc.

Its good that there is interest in legislation, but it needs to be sensible, realistic and carefully thought out.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

if cars come with tech now that has forward breaking then why have the laws?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

sooperphreek wrote:if cars come with tech now that has forward breaking then why have the laws?

Laws, unlike technology and society for that matter, don't always keep up with the pace.

There has to be a very clear rule - for example, if a device is hard mounted to a vehicle and does not require the use of hands, then it could be exempt. Of course, there would have to be a clear definition of device as well.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the rcmp is hiring and watering down the stringent requirements. maybe we should all become officers and take the 1 day driving course that allows us to drive distracted with a laptop. if its ok for them there should be no tickets in my opinion. the law should have no greys.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:Laws, unlike technology and society for that matter, don't always keep up with the pace.

There has to be a very clear rule - for example, if a device is hard mounted to a vehicle and does not require the use of hands, then it could be exempt. Of course, there would have to be a clear definition of device as well.

I tend to agree with you (good heavens..) on the lack of using hands, though I am still not a user or believer in hands free devices and may never be. I have a vehicle that has a newer stereo (no screen) and volume and tuning knobs, well placed and easy to use; I do not have to look down; can easily feel for them and adjust. Same goes for preset stations.

I do not believe that many of the newer "all in one" type screens that have GPS, phones, radios, etc have many "raised knobs" that would make them useable without looking down at them to find the appropriate spot on the screen to touch. Yes some features may be voice accessible but certainly not all adjustments could be made that way.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

sooperphreek wrote:the rcmp is hiring and watering down the stringent requirements. maybe we should all become officers and take the 1 day driving course that allows us to drive distracted with a laptop. if its ok for them there should be no tickets in my opinion. the law should have no greys.

There is no course for using a laptop in a police car.........PERIOD. IF one such course existed I would want one of the news channels to do a story about this to prove WITH VIDEO..........or will the RCMP claim it is copy written and cannot show it. Bottom line..........in the course of their duties with the multitude of electronics in all police cars, there will be more accidents involving police vehicles and distracted driving and they will continue to be absolved in most cases with a slap on the wrist.
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

sooperphreek wrote:the rcmp is hiring and watering down the stringent requirements. maybe we should all become officers and take the 1 day driving course that allows us to drive distracted with a laptop. if its ok for them there should be no tickets in my opinion. the law should have no greys.

No there is no grey area, the MVA states that emergency vehicles and 1st responders can and shall use electronic equipment during the course of their duties. The MVA also states very clearly that the use of electronic equipment is prohibited by a driver while operating his or her vehicle on a road or hwy if you are NOT in an emergency vehicle or 1st responder. So I ask you where exactly is the grey area again? Or is it you are just not happy with the world and have to find something to complain about??

BTW BC ambulance and Fire Dept are allowed and do use electronic equipment during the course of their duties as well. Educate yourself 1st so you actually know what you are talking about.
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

lesliepaul wrote:There is no course for using a laptop in a police car.........PERIOD. IF one such course existed I would want one of the news channels to do a story about this to prove WITH VIDEO..........or will the RCMP claim it is copy written and cannot show it. Bottom line..........in the course of their duties with the multitude of electronics in all police cars, there will be more accidents involving police vehicles and distracted driving and they will continue to be absolved in most cases with a slap on the wrist.

So you have been in a police car going lights and sirens to a nasty call to service? I think not, because if you had you would not have made the silly comment about there is no course for using a lap top in a police car...PERIOD. There is in fact plenty of reasons for using a lap top in a police car. Many of the file updates, background info obtained, mapping systems etc are related to computers in the cars. So before you spout off on matters you clearly know nothing about....educate yourself. As I have posted in a previous post the police, fire and ambulance are allowed to use electronic equipment during the course of their duties, get over it.
Oh and your comment about more accidents involving police cars, care to back that up with any statics?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Trigger69 wrote:No there is no grey area, the MVA states that emergency vehicles and 1st responders can and shall use electronic equipment during the course of their duties. The MVA also states very clearly that the use of electronic equipment is prohibited by a driver while operating his or her vehicle on a road or hwy if you are NOT in an emergency vehicle or 1st responder. So I ask you where exactly is the grey area again? Or is it you are just not happy with the world and have to find something to complain about??

BTW BC ambulance and Fire Dept are allowed and do use electronic equipment during the course of their duties as well. Educate yourself 1st so you actually know what you are talking about.

i had this merry go round discussion with the apologists in comment threads when the cop on the island died. i also had an ambulance attendant that told me that regardless of what other emergency service workers think - it was his personal belief (as one) that it shouldnt be done and he doesnt. and mentioned that there has been near misses because of the use of the electronic devices that he knew of personally.
as far as my complaint....it is in regards to a money grab. and another is that there is a double standard for emergency services and LE. if it is possible for these members of society to function with devices while driving then it should be perfectly fine for the rest of society. if a LE or emergency services driver crashes while using a device it will be investigated and there will be a "*bleep* happens" while doing the job line. why cant "*bleep* happen" in society as well?

Return to “B.C.”