BC more than doubles penalty for distracted driving

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

BC more than doubles penalty for distracted driving

Post by oneh2obabe »

The B.C. government is raising penalties for distracted driving next month, with the fine for a ticket more than doubling to $368. More penalty points will also be added, and there will be tougher penalties for repeat offenders.

"Some people are still not getting the message," Transportation Minister Todd Stone said in a statement. "Today's announcement ... sends the message loud and clear. We will not tolerate distracted driving on our roads."

The current fine in this province for distracted driving is $167, one of the lowest in the country according to the Canadian Automobile Association.

Starting June 1, first-time offenders will receive the $368 ticket and $175 for four penalty points on their driving records, for a total of $543.

Repeat offenders will pay the same $368, but will receive escalating penalty points for each offence within 12 months:

*2nd offence: $368 + $520 in penalty points = $888
*5th offence: $368 + $3760 in penalty points = $4,128
*10th offence: $368 + $14,520 in penalty points = $14,888

Full article
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3573249
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: BC more than doubles penalty for distracted driving

Post by Barney Google »

10th offense...$14,888?

Humm...I dunno, i think if you reach a 10th offense, Sparkles you just might not be getting the message and some nice cozy time in the slammer for 60 days or so should be the next item of distraction on your dance card.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Good on them. I hope they start pulling licences after the second or third offence and then put them through hell and expense to get it back. We somehow have to bring these people into the real world. These people are dangerous and need to be controlled.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Great news
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

IMO distracted driving is mentally on a par with drunk driving. Penalties should be similar. Including seizing vehicles for periods of time.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I was following a couple the other day that stayed in the fast lane and blocked traffic all the while carrying on a conversation.It was obvious from my view point they were oblivious to the world around them
To me this is as bad as talking or texting while driving
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Question - doesn't BC suspend your DL if/when you get so many demerit points?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

The right thing to do ,but will only make a difference if followed up with RCMP enforcement with roadside traps.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Need to use a day-fine system IMO. (for all driving violations)
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's hard to legislate morality. People will be holding their phones way down below the field of view, and that will make driving even more dangerous.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Thunder River

Post by Thunder River »

I don't understand why so many people still use a hand held cell phone while driving. Both my cars have factory Bluetooth, I can place or receive a call without ever taking my hands off the steering wheel, my older car is six years old so this isn't a new technology.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My first bluetooth device for hands free cost me $25.00. Why are people so stupid and lazy. Go buy one they can be cheap and save you hundreds. Won't stop the texters though.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This is all fine and dandy but I was just reading up a bit on the actual rules/laws on distracted driving in BC and found this ...

“Using the speakerphone is allowed.”
Not always. Under the law, drivers outside of the
GLP are allowed to use hands-free cellphones and devices but there are restrictions on how. In addition to a Bluetooth or wired headset, you can use the speakerphone but the phone has to be securely attached to either you (such as with a belt clip or in your pocket) or to the car; you can’t have it in your lap, loose on the seat beside you, in the cupholder, and so on. Holding your phone in one hand and steering with the other isn’t safe. And it’s illegal. The best way to stay safe is to not use your phone at all, but if you must take a call, use a hands-free electronic device and keep the conversation brief.

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-d ... ctions.pdf

Am I missing something here? Now they want to tell you where you can store your device in your vehicle?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

YOU HAve to be an idiot to use your device , whether it is hands free or not. nothing is so important that you cant call back when you have parked.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I didn't text even before the law and just answer calls now on Bluetooth as I am capable of speaking and driving at the same time, whether it be a passenger or a phone conversation. The phone itself is kept out of sight and out mind while driving. And out of reach.

I hope they finally enforce the laws and start actually deterring people by handing out fines. The number of incidents is way too high. I'm sure we all see people all over using devices while driving. After a few few fines, it should be loss of vehicle because the message is obviously not getting though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “B.C.”