Applause Ban Gets Drowned Out

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Applause Ban Gets Drowned Out

Post by fluffy »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-165762-3-.htm#165762

Members of Britsh Columbia's Legislature have asserted their right to act rude and uncivil. Another watershed moment by our elected representatives.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Veovis
Guru

Re: Applause Ban Gets Drowned Out

Post by Veovis »

So an independent gets their time in the spotlight to make changes for her constituents and uses that time to whine that clapping bothers her.

If she was my rep I'd be asking about recall votes at this point.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

This idea is so dumb I was shocked that the NDP didn't support it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

From fluffy's link:

Huntington said she calculated the amount of time the clapping and congratulating actually takes up during question periods.

"It's about 20 minutes a week we use in applause," she said. "Put that together this session, it's about three-and-a-half hours. That's seven question periods and over 100 questions lost."

She said there isn't a member in the house who hasn't heard constituents say, 'We were just shocked by your behaviour. You're like a bunch of children and we'd get sent to the principal's office if we did a quarter of what you're doing down there.'"

Huntington told the legislature last week that the House of Commons in the United Kingdom banned hissing and applause 323 years ago. She said the National Assembly in Quebec banned applause from question period in 2015, and the difference in tone and civility is noticeable.

After watching 'Question but Not Answer Period' at the BC Leg, anyone who thinks ANY of these 'elected representatives' should be called 'Honorable' has gotta have some major screws loose!!
Chill
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think there's some merit to the proposal. We're long past due to get some measure of decorum back into government. I'm reminded of a story a few years ago where an elementary school teacher took her class into the visitors' gallery, can't remember if it was Victoria or Ottawa. She was so embarrassed by the juvenile antics of our "leaders" that she took the class out early.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Are these people supposed to be educated adults? Can you imagine what would happen if members tried that at a board meeting in a large company. Wonder how long Walmart or McDonald's would stand for that kind of antics going on continuously.

EDIT TO ADD:

I would have thrown everyone out of the meeting if they had tried something like that in a staff meeting, safety meeting, union meeting, fire crew meeting or whatever else I was running.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”