Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Liberals are Fraudulent

Post by Urbane »

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Nothing like the right-wing automaton pot calling the left-wing automaton kettle black. That is the level of insight that goes into these posts. But I don't expect any more from a poster whose sole role is to deride and ridicule, not discuss issues.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

If I were thin-skinned I'd be offended to be called a sheep for believing that the BC Liberals are the lesser of two evils. It's easy to say "Kick the bums out" but there's a reason that union officials have been meeting with the premier and discussing various projects. The economy and jobs will trump the scandals and faux-scandals. Meanwhile, the NDP wants to kill projects like Site C. I'd like to see NDP'ers push their party toward the type of NDP that Gary Doer once led in Manitoba rather than moving in the opposite direction. Until they do, or until we have another viable party come along, we're stuck with voting Liberal.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Sure, 'It's the economy, stupid!" is the bellwether call to support the ChristyLiberals, I am not at all convinced that the government is the entity some seem to feel is responsible for BC's good fortune.

How would a change in government stop the benefits that are expected to drive the BC economy when they are essentially not CONTROLLED by the government:

Economic Outlook 2016: B.C. to fly above resource mire
Housing, tourism and other non-resource sectors expected to help drive the province’s GDP growth in 2016

2016 will be a tale of two economies: the still-struggling mining and energy sectors will likely fail to see any significant lift in depressed commodity prices, while it’s a much rosier outlook for non-resource industries.

That dynamic explains why in forecast after forecast, economists are predicting British Columbia will lead the country in economic growth, even as Canada’s economy will see little expansion thanks to the falling price of oil.

While resources still play an important role in B.C., the provincial economy is much more diversified than those in provinces like Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador, which have relied heavily on oil production to boost wages, employment and government revenues.

“We do have a very diverse economy in B.C., probably looking across the country the most diverse, and way more diverse than Alberta,” said Ken Peacock, vice-president and chief economist at the Business Council of British Columbia.

“We do have the resource base but then we also have this urban-based economy where you see development of high-tech and tradable services and other pieces of the puzzle.”

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/1/econ ... urce-mire/

It's very interesting that LNG and Site C are beyond mention in this article.
Chill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Urbane wrote:If I were thin-skinned I'd be offended to be called a sheep for believing that the BC Liberals are the lesser of two evils. It's easy to say "Kick the bums out" but there's a reason that union officials have been meeting with the premier and discussing various projects. The economy and jobs will trump the scandals and faux-scandals. Meanwhile, the NDP wants to kill projects like Site C. I'd like to see NDP'ers push their party toward the type of NDP that Gary Doer once led in Manitoba rather than moving in the opposite direction. Until they do, or until we have another viable party come along, we're stuck with voting Liberal.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 17th, 2016, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post without the insults.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^This one of many things I find totally bizarre among ChristyLiberal supporters. While they represent themselves as ethical, moral and apparently honest, they are willingly supporting a corrupt, malfeasant, ethically devoid and openly dishonest government!!
Chill
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

the ndp have proven in the past they are just as bad or worse. we need a totally different party now.you should ask for more money from the ndp, you have earned it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

alfred2 wrote:the ndp have proven in the past they are just as bad or worse. we need a totally different party now.you should ask for more money from the ndp, you have earned it.

So what you are saying is that you have no moral, ethical or standards for honesty, alfred2?

I am sure that Christy loves you dearly....

BTW -

I am quite sure the NDP in the 90s never did kill anyone due to their policies or processes.
Chill
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed* i do not like the current govt. but what is the alternative?if you are an example of the ndp , then we are in deep dodo as a province.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 18th, 2016, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Leave the insults at the door. Thanks.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^This one of many things I find totally bizarre among ChristyLiberal supporters. While they represent themselves as ethical, moral and apparently honest, they are willingly supporting a corrupt, malfeasant, ethically devoid and openly dishonest government!!

As Keith Baldrey has said, and as many others have said as well, governments tend to win or lose elections on the economy. Also, what you see as a "scandal" (building the Site C dam, not giving the BCTF everything it wanted and therefore allowing a strike to happen, creative bookkeeping to create a balanced budget, photo-ops, the premier flying from Victoria to Kelowna and back etc. etc.) is in some cases (e.g. the creative bookkeeping) worthy of criticism but it's just not something that's apt to resonate with the public as much as having the strongest economy in Canada.

Also, when you defend the NDP's malfeasance, as you did with Adrian Dix and that backdated memo, it tells people that you are only willing to look at malfeasance, real, exaggerated, or imagined, with this government. Adrian Dix illegally backdating a memo is just something that a good employee does for his boss (in your words) but Christy Clark flying back and forth from Victoria to her riding is a scandal of earth shaking proportions.

All governments are flawed and this government is flawed enough to be booted out of office. But policies and results count as well and in that regard this government has been doing relatively well. We can bicker about the economy if you like and you can say that the government doesn't deserve credit for the economy but I have a feeling voters won't see it your way. A year is a lifetime in politics so who knows for sure? Maybe John Horgan will be our next premier but as things stand now I doubt it. And if the Liberals do win it won't be because the people who vote for them support everything that they do. They will vote for them as the better alternative of the two or as the lesser of two evils.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:Sure, 'It's the economy, stupid!" is the bellwether call to support the ChristyLiberals, I am not at all convinced that the government is the entity some seem to feel is responsible for BC's good fortune.

I'm not sure how many people give the Liberals that moniker, especially when they brought in the idiotic Carbon Tax and botched the HST implementation. I would say they are the least worst of two very bad choices, and leave it at that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:^This one of many things I find totally bizarre among ChristyLiberal supporters. While they represent themselves as ethical, moral and apparently honest, they are willingly supporting a corrupt, malfeasant, ethically devoid and openly dishonest government!!

You make a good point. The NDP lovers here willingly support a corrupt, malfeasant, ethically devoid and openly dishonest party in the NDP, and yet they never claim to be ethical themselves. So hence there is no real hypocrisy, if you yourself are a corrupt, malfeasant, ethically devoid and openly dishonest NDP supporter.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:
BTW -

I am quite sure the NDP in the 90s never did kill anyone due to their policies or processes.

and if that's your standard for voting for a party, then I guess you can find a way to support the NDP, without vomiting continuously, (not sure that's possible). That's a pretty low bar though.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

I think my mind is warped, but when I read the title to this thread, I keep seeing "Flatulent" not "Fraudulent"!!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

occasional thoughts wrote:Nothing like the right-wing automaton pot calling the left-wing automaton kettle black. That is the level of insight that goes into these posts. But I don't expect any more from a poster whose sole role is to deride and ridicule, not discuss issues.

Which poster is that exactly?

Return to “B.C.”