Contracting and sub-contracting.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Contracting and sub-contracting.

Post by Ken7 »

I had a interesting thing occur to me. I care for a property in the Kelowna area. I had some work done by a contractor and he subcontracted some of the work out.

As the subcontractor was able to do additional tasks they to were added to the work order. In the end a bill was received from the sub for all work completed. I was asked by the contractor if he should bill the property owner out including mark up, total bill plus a unknown percentage.

Am I wrong in suggesting to exclude the added work, not requested by the contractor? I am not a contractor, but would like to know from those who are, what is the bump up percentage on making a phone call to have a sub-trade do work you do not do or not certified to do.

Thanks.
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Contracting and sub-contracting.

Post by looking4one »

Materials + Labour + 30% + GST = $ your bill $
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

looking4one wrote:Materials + Labour + 30% + GST = $ your bill $

Thanks for the reply, but my question is. IF the sub could complete other tasks, not even on the same build would you think you are entitled to a 30% on the total, or only the work you are completing as a contractor?
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

If you asked the sub to do work elsewhere, you become the contractor. Different build = different bill.

If that sub wants to give the other contractor a couple of $$ for the lead, that's up to him.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

When the extra work was done, did you go through the original contractor or just arrange it with the sub? My gut says you owe the original contractor his fee and then you owe the sub contractor fees for his part of the extra work. No extra fees.

If all the work was bounced off the original contractor to manage though, then he I think he has the right to add a surcharge.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Under employment law, a true self-employed person or contractor is one who may subcontract. Everyone works under a contract, whether written or unwritten, implicit or implied. That said, it all depends on the bid or other agreement as to price. A contractor may subcontract, but the total price will or should be constrained by the original bid of agreed-upon price.

Return to “B.C.”