Visiting Mica Dam

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Visiting Mica Dam

Post by occasional thoughts »

I was up to Mica Dam yesterday; a nice drive, but a bit of a waste of time from a public point of view, there is nothing to do for tourists or visitors other than a small viewpoint with a sign board.

It was my first-ever visit up the highway from Revelstoke. I did not realize that Mica Dam was virtually at the Rocky Mountain Trench, so one does about half of the old Big Bend Highway to get there. Anyone of an old-timer ilk ever do the original Big Bend Highway before the Roger's Pass went in? I never had the "privilege"?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Visiting Mica Dam

Post by Dizzy1 »

Are there no tours there anymore? I've been up there a couple times as a kid and remember they had a pretty awesome tour. It definitely is a long trek but I haven't driven any farther past it.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

We saw a sign somewhere that indicated there was a visitor centre, but we found no actual evidence of one either at the dam or at the nearby Mica Creek village. We wondered if it was all the way back at the Revelstoke Dam.
GO4it

Post by GO4it »

"Anyone of an old-timer ilk ever do the original Big Bend Highway before the Roger's Pass went in? I never had the "privilege"? "

Oh yah I remember it well. In the back of an old Vauxhaull Victor stuck between my two older siblings in the 60's' no air conditioning. Some memories stay with you. I do remember it being a long hot drive but with some beautiful scenery and a lot of wildlife.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

occasional thoughts wrote:We saw a sign somewhere that indicated there was a visitor centre, but we found no actual evidence of one either at the dam or at the nearby Mica Creek village. We wondered if it was all the way back at the Revelstoke Dam.

Would have been Revelstoke dam, great tourist center, kid education area, and quite a view from the top. Each year we camp there the kids want to go....even though they have been before. Mica is a good drive past that, just not going to get tourist traffic so they don't bother I think.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've been to both, Revelstoke Dam visitor center and drove to Mica Dam, all the way up the old highway.

Both have their merits to visit. One is full of fun stuff for the kids and big kids at heart.

The other ends at a huge lake with lots of sparkly rocks (full of mica). The Fall is the best time to go in my opinion. Unfortunately we went just before full peak, as these things are hard to time. Nice drive if you do multiple stops at the rec sites and yes, even bridges. We saw a huge moose but it moved off before I could get my camera out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

occasional thoughts wrote:I was up to Mica Dam yesterday; a nice drive, but a bit of a waste of time from a public point of view, there is nothing to do for tourists or visitors other than a small viewpoint with a sign board.

Lots to do there. Some of the best fishing and hunting anywhere!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

But no visitor centre that we could find, at Mica anyway. Someone mentioned on here that the visitor centre was way back at the Revelstoke Dam. Anyway, nice drive, nice scenery, was surprised (I guess I never really looked at the map) that Mica Dam was all the way to the Rocky Mountain Trench.

Return to “B.C.”