Polygamy Charge (single count?)

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Polygamy Charge (single count?)

Post by rustled »

This is interesting:
Blackmore, one of the leaders of the fundamentalist religious sect in Bountiful, is accused of one count of polygamy for allegedly having two dozen wives.

Just a single count for (allegedly) two dozen wives.
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/167146/Polygamy-charge-stands
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Polygamy Charge (single count?)

Post by occasional thoughts »

While I happen to think that clinical polygamy should not be illegal, I would argue that so-called polygamy where (usually) the "girls" are young, unempowered, have no say, are being used by religionists who are pedophiles, and are polygamous without mature and/or informed consent (etc., etc., etc.) should be differentiated and banned by law.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

When polygamy applies to adults only, does not exploit women, young girls and boys, and social assistance AND I can have more than one husband I may look upon it less negatively.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Heck, I think one's enough trouble :D
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

occasional thoughts wrote:While I happen to think that clinical polygamy should not be illegal, I would argue that so-called polygamy where (usually) the "girls" are young, unempowered, have no say, are being used by religionists who are pedophiles, and are polygamous without mature and/or informed consent (etc., etc., etc.) should be differentiated and banned by law.

I tend to agree about the adults, when there's full consent (although whether that consent is informed or not, even after the age of majority, is another question when people are born and raised in a closed community).

When children are being offered up as wives, it should be charged as what it is.

Don't you find it odd, though, that although the case is proceeding with some two dozen wives involved, there's only one count?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Yes, lol, now having an ex and being a zero-agamist, I agree one spouse can be a handful.

But speaking personally and seriously, I have no desire and never had any desire for more than one spouse myself.

Seriously, too, on your other point, I suspect our legal system is probably feeling very tentative and apprehensive, given the law and legal territory it has entered with this case. I just hope our legal people have chosen the most winnable case with no little hidden testimony or evidence issues.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

occasional thoughts wrote:Yes, lol, now having an ex and being a zero-agamist, I agree one spouse can be a handful.

But speaking personally and seriously, I have no desire and never had any desire for more than one spouse myself.

Seriously, too, on your other point, I suspect our legal system is probably feeling very tentative and apprehensive, given the law and legal territory it has entered with this case. I just hope our legal people have chosen the most winnable case with no little hidden testimony or evidence issues.

LOL. Better love next time, occasional thoughts.

Thing about the legal angle is, usually if they want to convict they throw as many counts as possible hoping one will stick. At least, that's the way it tends to appear. Maybe that's not the actual intent. But how many times have we seen someone charged with several counts, some are dropped (or even pleaded out) and the one they really want to stick, sticks? I guess that's why I find this so odd.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Whether or not polygamy should be illegal is a separate question. It's the law, and Blackmore broke the law.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

nice see this christian pedo get some time :130:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The guy has 125 estimated children.... :135: :135: :135:
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:nice see this christian pedo get some time :130:

some christian denomination don't consider mormonism as christian, but more along the line of cultish/wacko.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:The guy has 125 estimated children.... :135: :135: :135:

Right and then the girls will be raised and given up to maybe Grade 8 education and married off to husbands between in their thirties to fifties. To be somewhere in the wife count where the first "wife" was also a teenager. This cult has to stop hiding behind the constitution, it's all about creating their own victims in a closed system. And the girls don't have a chance to escape because they haven't a clue about the real World around them.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Pretty little waitress at the pub is an escapee . She was sent to Texas and Utah even . Poor girl is just happy to have a normal life . She can't go back her family disowned her
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

She didn't escape at the age of 14 or 15, when they're most often "married" off. She had to have had some exposure to the World by the time she got out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “B.C.”