Congratulations Christy Clark!

Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Congratulations Christy Clark!

Post by Hurtlander »

Hurtlander wrote:Nah, I don't think so. The Christy Clark government has clawed back too much money from rape crisis/sexual assault centres for me to believe she's sincere about this. I willing to bet Christy will increase the funding to rape crises/sexual assault centres back to their previous funding levels, then she'll try pass that off as showing her compassion...

I would like to apologize to the Christy Clark fan club for my minor mistake in the above post ; it was actually the Campbell government that eliminated the funding to crisis centres for women, but the Clark government has had nearly two full terms to reinstate the 1.7 million, but hasn't had the desire to do so..
http://www.wavaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/ ... sement.pdf
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Christie Blatchford: Sorry, Christy Clark, a close call is not the same as a sexual assault
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Christie Blatchford: Sorry, Christy Clark, a close call is not the same as a sexual assault

As a guy, if I grabbed a girl and dragged her into the bushes (and I wouldn't!!), it wouldn't be to ask the time of day.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Muzza wrote:
As a guy, if I grabbed a girl and dragged her into the bushes (and I wouldn't!!), it wouldn't be to ask the time of day.

What would it be then?
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Muzza wrote:As a guy, if I grabbed a girl and dragged her into the bushes (and I wouldn't!!), it wouldn't be to ask the time of day.

Could've been a serial killer, there were several in that era, one or two have never been caught....
Póg Mo Thoin
crybabycry

Post by crybabycry »

Not to diminish what must have been an extremely frightening experience for a her, especially at that age, but we will never know what his motives were. Maybe he wanted to take her lunch money. Maybe he was severely mentally ill and thought he was saving her from a fire breathing dragon. We just don't know.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Maybe it was Clifford Olson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

If, at the time, she felt the same sense of shame many of us felt when, as girls and young women, we were physically assaulted by a man, then for all practical intents and purposes she experienced an assault that was indeed sexual in nature.

It is beyond me why anyone, Blatchford included, would choose to minimize this.

What a slap in the face to all women who experienced this and got on in their lives in silence, who are now simply saying "girls who experience this ought to feel they are able to speak up instead of hiding in shame".

Blatchford and the rest of those who are minimizing this are showing these same young women that if they do manage to speak up, they can expect a pack of people saying "silly girl, how do you know what he wanted?" Heaping shame on shame. Terrific. Just terrific.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
crybabycry

Post by crybabycry »

I don't think anyone is minimizing the trauma of women who were sexually assaulted. I think it's possible that some people including Blatchford may feel Christy Clark is in some way minimizing the terrible experience other women have had by using her story (which, according to the woman herself, was not a sexual assault) for political gain.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

crybabycry wrote:I don't think anyone is minimizing the trauma of women who were sexually assaulted. I think it's possible that some people including Blatchford may feel Christy Clark is in some way minimizing the terrible experience other women have had by using her story (which, according to the woman herself, was not a sexual assault) for political gain.
Or perhaps some people are criticizing Christy Clark's story for political gain. Look how this thread quickly morphed from Clark's story and the subject of sexual assault to political attacks on her.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^I see this as two separate issues, Urbane:

1. The main issue is violence against women. Christie brought up a personal circumstance to highlight this huge problem and that has been applauded - time and time again.

2. However, Christy's track record for telling the truth and actions she has (or more rightly has NOT) taken in situations to support women in these kinds of situations (Bossenkool as an example and lack of funding for women's crisis centers) is a secondary but still valid issue.

“What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chill
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

flamingfingers wrote:1. The main issue is violence against women. Christie brought up a personal circumstance to highlight this huge problem and that has been applauded - time and time again.

However, what we should also have had the opportunity to applaud, is the fact that weeks before Christy came forward with her story of being attacked, both NDP MLA Kathy Corrigan and Green Party MLA Andrew Weaver came forward with their tales of sexual assault, Andrew Weaver introduced the bill by the way... However the MSM outlets in BC only felt compelled to run with Christiy's story, whereas the other stories were only run in local papers, funny how that works. http://www.burnabynow.com/news/burnaby- ... -1.2275680
Last edited by Hurtlander on Jun 16th, 2016, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Just continuing the strategy of playin' that victim card.

Return to “B.C.”