Congratulations Christy Clark!

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Congratulations Christy Clark!

Post by flamingfingers »

As you are all aware of how cynical/critical I am of our current premier, I do have to applaud her efforts today in revealing her traumatic experience when she was 13 years old, walking to her work at a restaurant and having the experience of being attacked and dragged into bushes by a male (a stranger) and being able to struggle free and run away.

She made an important point - that which other girls and women face during this traumatic time - she somehow felt ASHAMED!! WHY? It wasn't her fault, she obviously was not hanging around a street corner in fishnet stockings and a big bosom at age 13!!

But she felt that she couldn't talk to anyone about the issue.

WHY? What is it about our culture that inhibits women/girls from coming forward and talking about this

I really cannot believe our culture remains back in the 50s when it was propounded that:
A woman can run faster with her skirt up than a man with his pants down!!
Chill
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Congratulations Christy Clark!

Post by Rosemary1 »

Only things that comes to mind that may explain some questionable rulings on sexual assault cases here and in the US are these

Back in the days when women had no voice, held to separate codes of behavior from men, and held responsible for being assaulted (must have provoked/deserved/wanted it) and were ultimately intimidated and felt ashamed of coming forward.

Next we saw some breakthroughs with changes in legislation and social attitudes that encouraged women to come forward, and saw some measures put in place to protect the victims from being doubly victimized in the courts.

Next we saw some well publicized cases of women exploiting those changes with questionable, false or frivolous allegations of assault, or pushing the boundaries of the looser definitions of 'assault' for their own misguided reasons. This influenced increase in initial skepticism around sexual assault cases brought forward.

Drugs and alcohol abuse play an increasing role in such cases and some old attitudes amongst some men (and women) still linger.

All of the above is to the detriment of girls, women (and boys) who are victims of assaults by deterring them from coming forward once again.
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

Rosemary1 wrote:
Next we saw some well publicized cases of women exploiting those changes with questionable, false or frivolous allegations of assault, or pushing the boundaries of the looser definitions of 'assault' for their own misguided reasons. This influenced increase in initial skepticism around sexual assault cases brought forward.

This is a very insightful and important aspect which I don't see brought up often enough. As a man, admittedly with a bit of an ego issue, I tend to be extremely wary of any alleged sexual assault claim made by a woman. It probably doesn't help that I grew up with an emotionally unstable mother and sister, as well as my experience with girlfriends who would get explosively upset over minor issues and embellish perceived slights.

At times I have to remind myself that although my personal interactions and relationships with women haven't been the best, that's not necessarily a good indicator of women as a whole.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 10th, 2016, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Thank you FF. I too am not a Christy Clarke fan but as a woman who have experienced sexual misconduct and having many female friends who have either been raped, assaulted etc I do appreciate her standing up and sharing her story. I hope it give strength to other women to stand up and take their power back.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

A politician would never lie to garner false sympathy, or to justify the passage of Bill 23. Christy should receive the Order of Canada for her bravery.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Centurion wrote:A politician would never lie to garner false sympathy, or to justify the passage of Bill 23. Christy should receive the Order of Canada for her bravery.

Even if it it's a lie does bring sexual assaults to the forefront. She is also backing a Green Bill in support of women. I don't think it's a bad thing.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 10th, 2016, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

This is getting so out of hand. Everyone's a victim because apparently our Colleges and Universities have rape rates comparable to the Congo! Don't question the numbers just go along with what people are saying...

I has to listen to a lady on the radio yesterday talk about rape culture "...every woman has had to endure a unwanted glance..."

Apparently men are suppose to walk around with horse blinders?

Unreported crime 35 years ago. Sure Christy.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Atomoa wrote:This is getting so out of hand. Everyone's a victim because apparently our Colleges and Universities have rape rates comparable to the Congo! Don't question the numbers just go along with what people are saying...

I has to listen to a lady on the radio yesterday talk about rape culture "...every woman has had to endure a unwanted glance..."

Your misogyny sure comes out in threads like this.

What were you doing 35 years ago?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Rwede wrote:Your misogyny sure comes out in threads like this.

What were you doing 35 years ago?

Watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Your misandry is impairing your critical thinking skills.

Oh no - a unwanted glancer looked at my post. I feel raped. Rape culture.

- Buckminster Fuller
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

im happy to see this discussion brought to the forfront by the premier . but after all the lies shes told not sure if i believe her story . but thats just my opinion . what matters is the topic
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Atomoa wrote:This is getting so out of hand. Everyone's a victim because apparently our Colleges and Universities have rape rates comparable to the Congo! Don't question the numbers just go along with what people are saying...

A glance. That's what you choose to focus on? Not the rape part but a glance? That's pretty gross Atomoa. You're a person generally on the right side of issues but you seem to have a real thorn in your side when it comes to women.

I know very few women who haven't been raped. That's how bad this issue is. From step fathers, coworkers, strangers, boyfriends and on and on. And I mean held down, being penetrated against their will rape. We need a major shift in our culture to reduce this violence. It's not acceptable. We should be deeply ashamed of this.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Atomoa wrote:Watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Your misandry is impairing your critical thinking skills.

Oh no - a unwanted glancer looked at my post. I feel raped. Rape culture.

There will forever be extremists when it comes to every topic. But if you throw away the whole cause because of a few extremists then the world will go to sh*t.

Rape is a problem. Just like what Jlives here said, almost ever women she (and others, myself included) knows has had some sort of sexual abuse happen to them (and this doesn't include "glances").

When people like you who decide to down play sexual assaults and rape by saying all the activism is "getting out of hand" it plays right into the rape culture that you seem to hate so much.
hail Satan y'all
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

JLives wrote:A glance. That's what you choose to focus on? Not the rape part but a glance? That's pretty gross Atomoa. You're a person generally on the right side of issues but you seem to have a real thorn in your side when it comes to women.

I know very few women who haven't been raped. That's how bad this issue is. From step fathers, coworkers, strangers, boyfriends and on and on. And I mean held down, being penetrated against their will rape. We need a major shift in our culture to reduce this violence. It's not acceptable. We should be deeply ashamed of this.

I'm focusing on the sentiment of a politician that has chosen now (timing) to mention a unreported, unverifiable crime 35 year ago. I don't believe her. I'm focusing on the shrills that followed that lumped in "unwanted glances" to rapes. The language is toxic. I question that apparently women in our College and Universities are raped and assaulted at the same frequency as women in the Congo - where rape is used as a weapon of war. Nobody dares question that number or they'll be a "women hater" like me.

If you are telling me that it's just as bad for women here in Canada as it is in the Congo, I don't believe you.

As a man I am deeply offended that I have to be told constantly "not to rape". It's like reminding a black kid not to steal a bike everyday. It's insulting.

There is no rape culture. Just ask the people serving time in prison for sexual offences. They don't get high fives.

I know very few women who haven't been raped.

(Almost) every woman is a victim? Nice culture.

- Buckminster Fuller
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

You don't believe us. Don't you see that is where the issue is? I am not making it up when I say I know very few women who haven't been raped. It is a serious issue in every country. From the Congo to Canada. We are not immune to this violence.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “B.C.”