Bears and Bear Bangers

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Bears and Bear Bangers

Post by Ken7 »

WARNING

Bears in Peachland, are very interested in the Cherries as they grow closer to being ripe.

Caution, today I was utilizing a BEAR BANGERS. The brand I will not post at this time. Three separate bangers were launched, and did not in my opinion react alike, this brand is new to me as I've used them in the past.

Shot four, blew up in my hand. A piece of shrapnel lodged in my chest and had to be surgically removed. I was lucky, it did not take a eye out or worse then.

I will not continue to use BEAR BANGERS just a word of caution.
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Bears and Bear Bangers

Post by looking4one »

Did it have something to do with the launcher or the cartridge? Were you using the pistol or pen type? PM me with the info as to where you bought your cartridges from.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

looking4one wrote:Did it have something to do with the launcher or the cartridge? Were you using the pistol or pen type? PM me with the info as to where you bought your cartridges from.

The launcher was just fine. It blew back and obviously these cartridges are not good quality. If you know your brands it was not the one with the star on the end. As I stated, out of three that did what was expected, only two were not consistent.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

that sucks sounds like you were lucky I'm not a real fan of using something that is going make a bear mad I just let them be and they pass through
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LTD wrote:that sucks sounds like you were lucky I'm not a real fan of using something that is going make a bear mad I just let them be and they pass through

They do not make the bear mad, it startles them and they come to the realization humans are not their friends. We should not be known to wild animals as their providers.

I suspect this young bears mother was road killed. It has not been educated properly. It should run at the sight of humans or one yelling loudly or using a bear banger.

My intentions are to put this animal back in the wild. It appears he has been fed, which will only put an end to it's life as you can't put them back in the wild. They will seek humans, as someone screwed up by providing for it and they remember that.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

damn Ken, glad to hear you're ok...

just wondering (have no idea) would an air horn work to scare a bear away ???
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Ouch! Glad you are (sorta) okay.

My bear banger:

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

westside105 wrote:damn Ken, glad to hear you're ok...

I've used a hand-held marine horn to scare bears (and kids, dogs, cats and other people) away quite successfully.
Chill
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

westside105 wrote:damn Ken, glad to hear you're ok...

I am going to use this as a alternative now. You can buy the hang pump air horn, same loudness as the gas canister type. I purchased mine at Wholesale sports, recommended by the fellow in the gun section.

I believe they too would work, easier then a stick and old metal garbage can lid. I'd carry that when hiking and wear bells if your into that.

A single shot 22 cal. short works too, just shoot your partner's knee cap, and you'll out run them and the bear will keep busy with that one..
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Rwede wrote:Ouch! Glad you are (sorta) okay.

My bear banger:

I wasn't packing, and truly I like animals if they remain wild.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Interesting story about the Bow Valley wolf pack on CBC this morning.

Apparently air horns, and car horns, are no longer effective with them.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

For those that don't know or understand what a bear banger is. You just make sure that the bear is further away from you than the travel distance of the banger. The last thing you want is for the banger to go off behind the bear, it will run right at you in a state of panic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQz3P_uh5Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eccHtScpg3U
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

flamingfingers wrote:
I've used a hand-held marine horn to scare bears (and kids, dogs, cats and other people) away quite successfully.

That's what we use hiking. It's also part of plan to let our group know if someone is in trouble. Great little tool.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

flamingfingers wrote:

WeatherWoman wrote:That's what we use hiking. It's also part of plan to let our group know if someone is in trouble. Great little tool.

Not nearly as effective, too bulky and the bear must be too close for comfort to have any effect. By the time you get that thing out of the backpack, find the button and depress........you could be lunch. About as useful as a whistle, which is lighter and much easier to carry and deploy. Good luck.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if that bears been fed its as good as dead

Return to “B.C.”