Collecting rocks from crown land for landscaping in B.C.

stevesite

Collecting rocks from crown land for landscaping in B.C.

Post by stevesite »

Does anyone know what the rules and regulations are for collecting rocks and stones from crown land to use for landscaping or for using for masonry facing on your land?
Please post if you know.
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Collecting rocks from crown land for landscaping in B.C.

Post by looking4one »

You can NOT take anything from crown land. That includes rocks, trees (fallen or not), sand, gravel, dirt, or any plants or trees. Just like you can't go down to Gyro/city Park and dig up sand from the beach to take home.
When in doubt, call BC Forestry.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

How does one know its Crown Land?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Dizzy1 wrote:How does one know its Crown Land?

You would have to inquire with the province.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indus ... crown-land

There is a nifty online map available and you can add difference layers one of them being the crown inventory. This map doesn't seem to work on chrome so use IE

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/sv/imapbc/

But if it isn't crown land than its private ownership.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

looking4one wrote:You can NOT take anything from crown land. That includes rocks, trees (fallen or not), sand, gravel, dirt, or any plants or trees. Just like you can't go down to Gyro/city Park and dig up sand from the beach to take home.

Nonsense, you can so get trees on crown land, fallen or standing, as long as they are dead, and provided you have a permit, carry it with you, plus follow its instructions. The permit can be downloaded online for free.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

jetty1965 wrote:But if it isn't crown land than its private ownership.

Either way, NO you can't take rocks.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:You can NOT take anything from crown land. That includes rocks, trees (fallen or not), sand, gravel, dirt, or any plants or trees. Just like you can't go down to Gyro/city Park and dig up sand from the beach to take home.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Nonsense, you can so get trees on crown land, fallen or standing, as long as they are dead, and provided you have a permit, carry it with you, plus follow its instructions. The permit can be downloaded online for free.

Key words......."So long as you have a permit". I have never heard of a permit to remove rocks from crown land.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

looking4one wrote: I have never heard of a permit to remove rocks from crown land.

That would be why I responded to the "trees" part of your incorrect blanket statement, as I knew for a fact that was wrong.

I don't know what the deal is with rocks, but I sure see plenty of folk take them, or sand/gravel, from places I know they shouldn't be taking them from, such as the side of the road where they are causing a potential slide problem, by undermining the bank.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

looking4one wrote:You can NOT take anything from crown land. That includes rocks, trees (fallen or not), sand, gravel, dirt, or any plants or trees.

How come you can cut down Xmas trees from Crown land then?
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:You can NOT take anything from crown land. That includes rocks, trees (fallen or not), sand, gravel, dirt, or any plants or trees.

Even Steven wrote:How come you can cut down Xmas trees from Crown land then?

No you can't!

looking4one wrote:
I have never heard of a permit to remove rocks from crown land.

by LoneWolf_53 » 20 minutes ago
That would be why I responded to the "trees" part of your incorrect blanket statement, as I knew for a fact that was wrong.

You need "a permit". You can NOT just go up into the bush and cut anything you want. You MUST have a permit for a specified location and specific wood. It is a privilege that can be taken away, and you can be fined/imprisoned for contraventions.
Just like fishing and hunting privileges. These are ALL resources that belong to all BCers and are governed by laws.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

looking4one wrote:No you can't!

Are you sure? I might have to return like ten Xmas trees.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

looking4one wrote:Either way, NO you can't take rocks.

Unless you live by the motto, it's best to beg forgiveness than ask permission....seriously though, if some official saw you grabbing a small load of rock from the side of a back road, they're more than likely going to stop and help you load your truck.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:No you can't!

Even Steven wrote:Are you sure? I might have to return like ten Xmas trees.

Are you SURE that you can? If I saw you illegally cutting trees, I would photograph you, report you, and follow you home. You are no better than someone killing animals out of season. Trees belong to ALL BCers. If you want to cut a xmas tree, go to a xmas tree farm on private land.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:Either way, NO you can't take rocks.

Hurtlander wrote:Unless you live by the motto, it's best to beg forgiveness than ask permission....seriously though, if some official saw you grabbing a small load of rock from the side of a back road, they're more than likely going to stop and help you load your truck.

I highly doubt it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What kind of rocks are you after? There are a few companies who have the permits in place for various locations and types of rocks. They're all acquired legally, and the companies are well aware of the characteristics and suitability depending on what you want to do.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “B.C.”