Collecting rocks from crown land for landscaping in B.C.

looking4one
Übergod

Re: Collecting rocks from crown land for landscaping in B.C.

Post by looking4one »

For those that are unable to do their own homework:
Xmas tree cutting.
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dos/dist_docs ... %20use.pdf

Rock removal.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmin ... egates.pdf
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

looking4one wrote:Trees belong to ALL BCers.

I'm a BCer.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:Trees belong to ALL BCers.

Even Steven wrote:I'm a BCer.

So am I and you stole my portion of that rock/tree. More importantly, ignorance of the law is no excuse. How would you like it if I took one of your rocks or shrubs? After all, it is on BC land in BC dirt, and watered with BC water. Grow up!
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

looking4one wrote:So am I and you stole my portion of that rock/tree.

How can you steal something if you take something to belongs to all of us? If you take all trees in the country and divide by a number of people who live in this country I'm pretty sure it will be more than 1 tree per person. So, I took the one that belongs to me and the ones that belong to you are still there.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

looking4one wrote:For those that are unable to do their own homework:
Xmas tree cutting.
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dos/dist_docs ... %20use.pdf

Rock removal.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmin ... egates.pdf

when it comes to xmas trees you go online closer to xmas and print the permit and away you go quick and painless the rock removal link you posted has more to do with minning the than collecting a few yard ornaments I grab rocks all the time when I see ones I like if that bothers you I will take several loads of the ones I don't like on my property and drop em off in the bush
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:So am I and you stole my portion of that rock/tree.

Even Steven wrote:How can you steal something if you take something to belongs to all of us? If you take all trees in the country and divide by a number of people who live in this country I'm pretty sure it will be more than 1 tree per person. So, I took the one that belongs to me and the ones that belong to you are still there.

The same rules apply to fish and game animals. The loins are mine, the anus is yours. Dispute it in court, not here. Good luck.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Wonder who it is that is giving out tickets to people picking a couple rocks out of the side of an old logging road.Hopefully who ever that is has something better to do to earn his government funded pay check .I for one have never heard of anyone being fined for gathering a few rocks for the flower beds,out along an old logging road.Something I have been doing all my life ,here and there.Now I can understand if you are taking truck loads and are a commercial endeavour making money off selling the rocks.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Hurtlander wrote:Unless you live by the motto, it's best to beg forgiveness than ask permission....seriously though, if some official saw you grabbing a small load of rock from the side of a back road, they're more than likely going to stop and help you load your truck.

looking4one wrote:I highly doubt it.

Things are a lot more laid back where I live in the back country. Nobody's ever been busted in my area of the province for taking a small amount of land scaping rock for personal use. However, if you're taking rock for commercial purposes or community organizations you will need to get permission, not so much from the crown, but from the First Nations. You wouldn't believe the hurdles I've had to jump through with the First Nations to remove a few trees to build cross country ski trails, however the MOF were not concerned about a non profit community organization cutting down eight or ten trees to widen existing trails.

ETA: I'm not criticizing the First Nations, I was only pointing out that they are more likely than not, the only level of government that might be concerned.
Last edited by Hurtlander on Jun 18th, 2016, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

maple leaf wrote:Wonder who it is that is giving out tickets to people picking a couple rocks out of the side of an old logging road.Hopefully who ever that is has something better to do to earn his government funded pay check .I for one have never heard of anyone being fined for gathering a few rocks for the flower beds,out along an old logging road.Something I have been doing all my life ,here and there.Now I can understand if you are taking truck loads and are a commercial endeavour making money off selling the rocks.

GREAT! Then you have no problem with me coming by and taking your rocks for myself then? Go ahead call the police and show them your proof of purchase receipt to substantiate your claim of ownership. Just because you have not heard of it, doesn't mean that it has not occurred.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Go here and obtain your rocks legally.
https://www.mapquest.com/ca/british-col ... -272989245
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

looking4one wrote:Dispute it in court, not here. Good luck.

Don't have to. You're the one who has a problem with this, I'm perfectly fine!
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

looking4one wrote:Dispute it in court, not here. Good luck.

Even Steven wrote:Don't have to. You're the one who has a problem with this, I'm perfectly fine!

Another brilliant answer. You are on a roll.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

looking4one wrote:GREAT! Then you have no problem with me coming by and taking your rocks for myself then? Go ahead call the police and show them your proof of purchase receipt to substantiate your claim of ownership. Just because you have not heard of it, doesn't mean that it has not occurred.

It is an interesting question though.So I have been looking to, if I can find anywhere to get a permit to gather some rocks.Outside of the link that you provided above ,which pretty much covers things from a commercial side of it ,where one is doing it to make money off the free resources.
But I did find this link that would probably cover anyone gathering a few rocks :
http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/mining/geosci ... ooklet.pdf

i could not find anywhere that would require a permit ,but note their definition of rock hounds..

QUESTIONS ABOUT ROCKHOUNDING
What is a Rockhound?
A rockhound is defined as an amateur mineralogist, but really it’s someone who enjoys collecting interesting rocks and minerals. The term rockhound includes people who casually pick up something that catches their eye and serious collectors who enjoy rock and mineral samples at rock and gem shows around the country.

Who can be a Rockhound?
Anyone! If you’ve ever picked up an interesting-looking rock on a walk or at the beach, then you have already begun!

And no you can not come and trespass on my private property for any reason.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

BC now has "resource officers" who are on patrol for natural resource thefts. Just because you didn't see them in the past, doesn't mean that you won't see them in the future.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/stories/natural- ... root-in-bc
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

There is a fine line between "Interesting" rock hounding and removal of decorative rocks-boulders for home improvement.
How big does a rock have to be before it is considered a boulder? Hint. (A rock can be carried in one hand).
Is THAT rock a part of the road system?
Does removing that rock interfere with fishery habitat?
What is the geological reference/value of that rock?

Doesn't Crown Land and everything on it belong to all BCers?
What gives one person the right to remove any portion of it for their own financial benefit? (Increased property value).

Return to “B.C.”