Vancouver's LGBT and Muslim rally together to protest Trump

whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Vancouver's LGBT and Muslim rally together to protest Trump

Post by whatwhat »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trump-tower-vancouver-protest-lgbt-muslim-1.3642859

Dozens of people from Vancouver's LGBT and Muslim communities held hands in front the city's Trump International Hotel & Tower to protest comments made by the U.S. presidential hopeful that he has the support of LGBT people on his plan for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States."

"He says he has queer support to ban Muslims," said Imtiaz Popat, an organizer of the protest on Sunday. "As a queer Muslim you know we are both facing Islamophobia and homophobia and we want to come together to say this is not acceptable."

"We don't support him. So we are here to send a message that we will not be divided and united we stand against xenophobia."

"I just think it's important for all of us to stand together, white queers with our brothers and sisters of colour and say that we won't tolerate racism or Islamophobia in our name."

To me, it is great to see such a diverse group of people rallying together to protest something they believe in, especially when so many people are trying to put these two minorities against each other.
hail Satan y'all
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Re: Vancouver's LGBT and Muslim rally together to protest Tr

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

This is to funny, if you knew anything about Trump other than blind hate for him then you'd know he has been a gay supporter.
Yes even before he entered politics.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 20th, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 20th, 2016, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: questioning moderator decision
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:This is to funny, if you knew anything about Trump other than blind hate for him then you'd know he has been a gay supporter.
Yes even before he entered politics.

I don't really think the protest was about gay rights, but had more to with Trumps political values when it comes to Muslims.

With the Orlando shooting, it seems to be many are feeding into the idea that all Muslims hate the LGBT community, and have anti-gay values themselves which isn't true. The protest was about the LGBTQ community coming together with the Muslim community to show their support for each other.

Which you and others on this site should be thankful for! So many have commented on the fact that "good" Muslims aren't standing up against the hateful stances their religion spreads, well here they are.
hail Satan y'all
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

whatwhat wrote:
I don't really think the protest was about gay rights, but had more to with Trumps political values when it comes to Muslims.

and what was it that they were trying to achieve exactly? How many Canadians can vote for Trump? I get that they have a right to express their opinions regarding Trump's policies, but what about Iran's policy of actually murdering gay people for being gay? Any protests about that any time soon?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

The Green Barbarian wrote:and what was it that they were trying to achieve exactly? How many Canadians can vote for Trump? I get that they have a right to express their opinions regarding Trump's policies, but what about Iran's policy of actually murdering gay people for being gay? Any protests about that any time soon?

I don't know, you'll have to create a thread about it because that isn't what we are talking about here. Let's try and stay on tropic shall we.

As for what it will achieve, I'm guessing some communal support amongst Muslims and the LGBTQ community in Canada, and it could easily trickle down to the US.
hail Satan y'all
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

whatwhat wrote:
I don't know, you'll have to create a thread about it because that isn't what we are talking about here.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 20th, 2016, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Read the original post and you'll know what the topic is.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It seems to me to be a public statement that we don't stand for his brand of hateful rhetoric in our country. It's a shame to see his tramp stamp branded on anything in our country.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JLives wrote:It seems to me to be a public statement that we don't stand for his brand of hateful rhetoric in our country. .

We don't stand for it? Who is "we"?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

JLives wrote:It seems to me to be a public statement that we don't stand for his brand of hateful rhetoric in our country. It's a shame to see his tramp stamp branded on anything in our country.

Agreed JLives. I am happy to see people peacefully protesting to get their opinion heard.
hail Satan y'all
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

whatwhat wrote:Agreed JLives. I am happy to see people peacefully protesting to get their opinion heard.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 20th, 2016, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

*Removed
Last edited by Frisk on Jun 20th, 2016, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The Green Barbarian wrote:and what was it that they were trying to achieve exactly? How many Canadians can vote for Trump? I get that they have a right to express their opinions regarding Trump's policies, but what about Iran's policy of actually murdering gay people for being gay? Any protests about that any time soon?

Precisely.

People get all wound up before they even stop to think about what it is that they are getting wound up about!

If people were to protest the slaughter of innocent gay people in Iran, I'd be cheering them on.

To protest a guy who is against the slaughter of gay people in Iran seems beyond stupid.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/muslim-gay-communities-join-together-to-protest-trump-policies-in-vancouver

“Trump says he has queer support to ban Muslims, said Popat, co-ordinator of Salaam Canada, a support group for LGBTQ Muslims that organized the rally. “He’s trying to divide us, two marginalized communities, so here we are standing here, united, saying we are not going to be divided.”

Popat, who identifies himself as a queer Muslim, said there is a danger Trump’s message can spread outside of the U.S. and gain a following in Canada. “There’s racist elements here in our own communities, and homophobic elements. We need to overcome that.”

In the shadow of the Trump International Hotel & Tower, the protesters — many of them strangers and of different ethnic backgrounds and sexual orientation — held hands in a show of solidarity.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “B.C.”