Old-growth logging

bernie428
Board Meister

Re: Old-growth logging

Post by bernie428 »

Tolko is profitable because they pay the logging contractors next to nothing for the logging. Also Tolko logs a different species of trees than what's on the island.

All gun's blazing what are you talking about? Unless its private property all logging is cleared by the Ministry of forest.[/quote]

Sorry, I missed the 'not' at the beginning of guns a blazing.
I think original post was about the Ministry not paying enough attention.
I'm sure the company on the coast is just as cut throat with their contractors.
As I said, my personal opinion is they don't need to log everything they can get their hands on.
swanny10

Post by swanny10 »

As a retired Lineman-who has worked thruout Vancouver Island 1990-1992-
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Just for the record, 800 year old trees in BC forests are not nearing the end of their lives. Not even half way to the record, which is said to be 1,835 years for a yellow cedar - before it was logged.

I knew to look beyond that as I worked logging in Haida Gwaii and tried to count the rings on a big stump on a luch break - lost track at over 1,000...with lots left to count. We "averaged" one with a tape measure at about 1,500 years old. Never did try to count the rings on the biggest one during my time there - measured 22 ft diameter unofficially - but if you figure 2 mm growth rings, that would be about 1,650 years.

And I agree, it is time to stop logging the old growth.

This made me check google earth, and I am pleased to see that personal favorite stand of big fella spruces is still there. But everything else around it is now clearly replant.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”