Re: The Province of Vancouver Island

Post by Woodenhead »

nah, let's just go with:

Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So if Island was to become 11th Province, would ferry system become Federal responsibility.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Vancouver Island would make for a beautiful new province with Victoria as its jewel but I would much prefer this country to become the 11th Province. :D

It was an idea proposed by an NDP MP more than 40 years ago and could be revisited at the party’s national convention in Edmonton this weekend: the adoption of the islands of Turks and Caicos as Canada’s 11th province.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2621875/reality-check-should-canada-adopt-turks-and-caicos-as-its-11th-province/
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Woodenhead wrote:nah, let's just go with:

I would be perfectly ok with losing VI if we could pick up Washington and Oregon.
Let the crazy islanders have their cults and communes, and unite Cascadia.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Vancouver Island costs the rest of Canada more than it produces so we don't need anything in return for it. But if you take it you can't ever give it back.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

sooperphreek wrote:can we build a fence on the mainland to keep them out?

Omnitheo wrote: Can VI take the Gulf islands with them?

Please send those questions in. It looks like the Vancouver Island Party-The VanIsle Party-the VIP might be hurtin' for FAQs right now.

http://www.vanisleparty.com/f-a-q-s/

But seriously, as it is, I think it takes a streak of independent to live on Vancouver Island. And although the affluence on the Island might belong to the old-farts, this game will likely belong to the young people to carry out over a series of elections. One of the carrots for them that the VIP hopes to offer is a free post-secondary education and a preferred hiring practice for the grads. I sure hope the number one path of choice will turn out to be geriatric care :biggrin: .

http://www.vanisleparty.com/

And, as they say, with an election coming up, it’s the time of the ‘silly season,’ but then there is a challenge to check out the political map of the province right now . . ..

Yuck it up, Christie.

Also, here’s the VIP’s plan to gain province-hood.

THE PATH TO PROVINCE-HOOD

http://www.vanisleparty.com/path-to-province-hood/

1. Balance of Power

Elect some MLAs to be a balance of power between the Government Party and the Official Opposition. This could be only 3 or 4 MLAs. The longer-term goal is to elect 14 MLAs.

2. Referendum

In return for VIP MLA Caucus support, request the governing Party to hold a referendum on Vancouver Island with the ballot question.” Are you in favour of Vancouver Island becoming a province of Canada?” “Yes” or “No.”

Repeat the referendum in subsequent provincial elections until the vote is at least 50% + one vote to becoming the eleventh province of Canada

<snip>
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Okay, so I thought one up for the VIP FAQs—we’ll see if it makes it.

http://www.vanisleparty.com/f-a-q-s/

My question: Will the party support off-Islanders who want to run in off-Island ridings?

My secret motive and plan (but please don’t tell): I’m very popular here on the Mainland, but otherwise I bet people would like the chance to vote me and the Island off. And if I managed to serve until separation, then I might be able to afford to retire there.

Um, like, does Christie want to retire in Westbank? If not, then her constituents might understand my reasoning.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Retiring on Vanc Island is a personal choice. Not a mandatory step. Wetter, moldier, mossier and cheaper.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

WeatherWoman wrote:The hole thing is Stoopid. What a waste of tax payer dollars.

You're right on the stooped, but fortunately it doesn't look like any taxpayer funds have gone there (yet).
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Wetter it's not on Vancouver Island, where people live, which is on the southern inside coast, Campbell River down. Victoria is so incredibly pleasant as compared to Vancouver for weather . . . words can't express. I was born and raised in Vancouver and privileged to live in Victoria for 12 years. Victoria is the only other place I'd consider living than Kelowna/environs. I'm not for independence, though! Silly.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

if people complain about traffic in kelowna they should try to go through the victoria bottlenecks.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Donald G wrote:Retiring on Vanc Island is a personal choice. Not a mandatory step. Wetter, moldier, mossier and cheaper.

Are you describing the geography or the population?
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

Can be done its 5 times the size of PEI and has a lot more going for it than Lobster and Potatoes.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

I officially claim, Enna of Mossy Eaves ©.

First episode, A Better Slugtrap: Or how to peel a banana
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

jetty1965 wrote:Can be done its 5 times the size of PEI and has a lot more going for it than Lobster and Potatoes.

Yeah and if it happened, they'd no doubt expect us to build them a gazillion dollar bridge, just like Newfoundland got.

You gotta wonder how many generations it will take before we see the worth in that investment. :biggrin:

People who choose to live on rocks separated from the mainland, should be willing to accept all that goes with it.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “B.C.”