Breaking the law to get to the 'point of no return'??

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Breaking the law to get to the 'point of no return'??

Post by flamingfingers »

EXCLUSIVE: B.C. Government Broke Law to Expedite Site C Dam Construction, Legal Experts Say
By Carol Linnitt • Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 13:28

Share2510TweetRedditShare1
The B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO) granted BC Hydro several exemptions from the B.C. Wildlife Act to keep Site C dam construction from falling behind expected timelines, DeSmog Canada has learned.

The exemptions have some local First Nations and legal experts concerned Premier Christy Clark’s promise to “push the project past the point of no return” is occurring at the cost of B.C.’s own permitting rules and wildlife management.

“BC Hydro has gone rogue,” Chief Roland Willson of the West Moberly First Nation told DeSmog Canada. “Worse yet, the province is aware of the situation and chooses to look the other way. What’s the point of having a regulator if it refuses to regulate?”

E-mail correspondence obtained by DeSmog Canada show BC Hydro requested last-minute permission from the Ministry of Forests to undertake “emergency amphibian salvage” along the banks of the Peace River. The ministry granted BC Hydro several exemptions from the Wildlife Act to conduct the work — something legal experts say is against the law.

“The Wildlife Act and its regulations do not allow for exemptions from the ordinary permitting process,” Jocelyn Stacey, assistant professor at the UBC Allard School of Law and expert in environmental and administrative law, told DeSmog Canada. “This means that FLNRO acted without legal authority when it issued the exemption to BC Hydro.”

Ignoring B.C.’s established permitting process “raises the specific concern that BC Hydro is carrying out its Site C dam construction operations without the oversight by public officials that should be guaranteed by the ordinary permitting process,” Stacey added.

Read the rest and the comments here:

http://desmog.ca/2016/06/22/exclusive-b ... xperts-say
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Breaking the law to get to the 'point of no return'??

Post by Urbane »

^^ Of course we'll hear these claims from people who don't want the Site C dam built . . . ever. No amount of studies would ever be enough for them. Our environmental oversight has come a long way from when we first started building dams. This dam is being built and it will be completed. That's a good thing.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

This dam is being built and it will be completed. That's a good thing.

Even if it turns out to be another "Muskrat Falls'??

So you are totally unconcerned about the government allowing laws to be broken in order to get this dam constructed? And here I thought you had respect for the law and had a negative view of people who blatantly broke the law!!
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:So you are totally unconcerned about the government allowing laws to be broken in order to get this dam constructed? And here I thought you had respect for the law and had a negative view of people who blatantly broke the law!!
I would be concerned if Site C were unduly delayed and construction costs increased as a result. Let's get it done.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Urbane wrote:^^ Of course we'll hear these claims from people who don't want the Site C dam built . . . ever. No amount of studies would ever be enough for them. Our environmental oversight has come a long way from when we first started building dams. This dam is being built and it will be completed. That's a good thing.

No doubt these "legal experts" are hand picked to ensure their conclusions meet the agenda. :biggrin:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^ You seem to have blind trust in Christy and her 'vision' to come to fruition. Sorry, she has ruined my trust in her, her ChristyLiberal henchmen and the corporate influence that drives government policy. How do you 'know' that Site C will not end up a Muskrat Falls blunder - seems there are a lot of parallels between the two....
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby flamingfingers » 2 minutes ago

Even if it turns out to be another "Muskrat Falls'??

I can't believe that the NDP advocates are still arguing that the flat earth concept MUST be believed long after the rest of Canada has continued on, building the dam that BC and Canada needs as a clean energy source.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

ChristyLiberal henchmen and the corporate influence that drives government policy

Better than the union influence driving government policy. We've seen how well that works!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

I would be concerned if Site C were unduly delayed and construction costs increased as a result. Let's get it done.

If you think for a minute that Site C will 'only cost' around $9 BILLION, you haven't realized that all project costs under the present government have overrun the 'budget'. The final cost of this dam will far exceed government claims. Gonna have to sell a LOT of excess electricity (to where?) to pay that off!
Chill
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

maybe the regulation and enforcement of collecting tolls on bridges is too high a priority?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Donald G wrote:
I can't believe that the NDP advocates are still arguing that the flat earth concept MUST be believed long after the rest of Canada has continued on, building the dam that BC and Canada needs as a clean energy source.

Oh, pray tell me DONALD, then where the Muskrat Falls project is selling its 'clean energy' that Canada needs? That will pay for the project?
Chill
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Oh, pray tell me DONALD, then where the Muskrat Falls project is selling its 'clean energy' that Canada needs? That will pay for the project?

Simple answer. Compare the location and geography of the two. I think trying to compare the two - both in cost overruns and selling electricity is pretty much impossible.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

flamingfingers wrote:If you think for a minute that Site C will 'only cost' around $9 BILLION, you haven't realized that all project costs under the present government have overrun the 'budget'. The final cost of this dam will far exceed government claims. Gonna have to sell a LOT of excess electricity (to where?) to pay that off!

You can multiply that sum by about 10 if it were done in your time frame, or when you feel the time is right, but then I guess why worry since you won't be around to pay for it.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol anyone thinking a dam is clean must not know what the word flood means
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Name one thing cleaner that can produce the stable power required. Please don't say wind or solar or I will die laughing.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”